Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 09:15 AM

2,195 posts, read 3,630,492 times

Advertisements

1. Give your thread a title that assumes something
    • a) that is not already known and
    • b) has negative connotations.
  2. Use an infamous person or event to make a spurious comparison.
  3. Note that you've heard something or that 'it is commonly known,' while providing neither source nor link - this makes it much harder to disprove or discredit.
  4. When no appropriate quote is available, make one up.
  5. If challenged concerning the source of your quote, blame the main stream media or the right wing talk shows.
  6. Use passages actually said by specific individuals, but remove them from the context in which they were said. This precludes deniability and reinforces the message you wish to get across.
  7. Belittle those who disagree with you, rather than responding to their points. This avoids losing arguments unnecessarily.
  8. Attack others for using the same techniques that you use. This is especially effective when they have not, in fact, been doing so and they think such techniques are reprehensible, as they will spend copious energy defending themselves from the attack itself rather than defending their points, because they do not wish to be painted with the same brush or besmirched in that way.

p.s. Obama is like Hitler because a) he is human, b) he speaks in a way that some people find easy to listen to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 09:28 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,158,628 times
While the above posted topic is a beautiful sight in my eyes, for pointing out what should be obvious, I have come to the conclusion that 98% of people will engage in such a way. I say this from experience of sifting through hundreds upon hundreds of threads in order to find one that has more of an academic basis.

There is an adage among those in the press, "If it bleeds it leads", and judging by the manner in which sensationalism is presented by the for profit marketers and consumed by the masses, I see attempts to change this a call to reason to be sadly futile.

One only has to look at which threads have vast numbers of responses, such as the next administrations dog, or what dress Michelle was wearing or whether Obama is the Antichrist, or whether Palin owns her clothes. Threads the appeal to a persons emotions will almost certainly be filled with noodle tossers as all that is required is an emotionally based reaction to illicit an equal response. Almost Pavlovian really.

I wish you the best of luck in your efforts and may you have more success than I ever did. BTW... Obama's secret Nubian armies await to land on the beaches of Florida any day now, I heard this from my neighbor!

Old 11-08-2008, 09:34 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,423,909 times
As much as I agree with what you are saying, that is the nature of forums and people. Everyone has access to the internet and this is what happens. Just the nature of the beast.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
As much as I agree with what you are saying, that is the nature of forums and people. Everyone has access to the internet and this is what happens. Just the nature of the beast.
Reminds me of a quote, "I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools, lets start with typewriters(computers)".

Old 11-08-2008, 11:14 AM

12,373 posts, read 13,164,348 times
OP your post reads like a guide from Hannity forums or freerepublic.com!

Old 11-08-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
OP your post reads like a guide from Hannity forums or freerepublic.com!
While in defense of the "others", I have noticed that criticism, even warranted, of Obama is met with an almost same level of outlandish response at least in tone if not in word.

Some of the stuff I have seen posted at the Democratic Underground is pretty bizarre and far out there. I don't think the right has a lock on crazy.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:45 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,306,168 times
Wait a minute now, Obama is like Hitler. Why I heard on talk-radio the other day, Obama once has facial hair...JUST LIKE HITLER...and he even likes bratwursts...And you blind sheep think he's not Hitler! WOW is all I can say, the liberal media really pulled one over on us! Everybody start practing your 'Heil Obama' salute!

Old 11-08-2008, 12:00 PM

38,613 posts, read 26,267,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
  1. Give your thread a title that assumes something
    • a) that is not already known and
    • b) has negative connotations.
  2. Use an infamous person or event to make a spurious comparison.
  3. Note that you've heard something or that 'it is commonly known,' while providing neither source nor link - this makes it much harder to disprove or discredit.
  4. When no appropriate quote is available, make one up.
  5. If challenged concerning the source of your quote, blame the main stream media or the right wing talk shows.
  6. Use passages actually said by specific individuals, but remove them from the context in which they were said. This precludes deniability and reinforces the message you wish to get across.
  7. Belittle those who disagree with you, rather than responding to their points. This avoids losing arguments unnecessarily.
  8. Attack others for using the same techniques that you use. This is especially effective when they have not, in fact, been doing so and they think such techniques are reprehensible, as they will spend copious energy defending themselves from the attack itself rather than defending their points, because they do not wish to be painted with the same brush or besmirched in that way.
p.s. Obama is like Hitler because a) he is human, b) he speaks in a way that some people find easy to listen to.

I'm so glad you pointed all of this out because we wouldn't want to be stuck with McBush for another 4 yrs. You know he voted with the worst president in history 95% of the time and a McSame/Failin presidency would have been a disaster. Good thing we chose "change" instead!

CNN Ambushes Palin With Out-Of-Context Quote

Old 11-08-2008, 12:01 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,423,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Reminds me of a quote, "I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools, lets start with typewriters(computers)".
Lol

Old 11-08-2008, 01:34 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,509,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
The exact same thing is true of Ronald Reagan, you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections