Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 06:22 PM

4,147 posts, read 7,979,664 times

Advertisements

1. The fairness doctrine.
(While he has said that he does not support it one thing everyone can agree on is he is not a man of his word.)

Quote:
Barack Obama's campaign has booted from its airplane three reporters who work for newspapers that have endorsed John McCain.
ABC News: Obama Boots Reporters From Conservative Papers

Quote:
The Obama campaign was now forbid any of the campaign personnel from conducting interviews with the station.
THE OBAMA CAMPAIGN CENSORS FLORIDA NEWS STATION FOR ASKING TRUTHFUL QUESTIONS « Digital Press

See in this instance we have to look at actions and not rhetoric!

1. The Free Choice Act

Quote:
“we will pass the Employee Free Choice Act. It’s not a matter of if it’s a matter of when. We may have to wait for the next president to sign it, but we will get this thing done.”
Senator Obama Says Employee Free Choice Act WILL Get Done - 03/06/07 | Workers Independent News (http://www.laborradio.org/node/5410 - broken link)

What is the argument for this bill? Taking away the RIGHT to a secret ballot. Why would you want to that?

3. Bankrupt Coal

Quote:
Monday, the Ohio Coal Association sent out a news release in reference to the story.
Mike Carey, president of the Ohio Coal Association (OCA), today issued the following statement in response to just-released remarks from Senator Barack Obama about the nation's coal industry.
"Regardless of the timing or method of the release of these remarks, the message from the Democratic candidate for President could not be clearer: the Obama-Biden ticket spells disaster for America's coal industry and the tens of thousands of Americans who work in it.
"These undisputed, audio-taped remarks, which include comments from Senator Obama like 'I haven't been some coal booster' and 'if they want to build [coal plants], they can, but it will bankrupt them' are extraordinarily misguided.
"It's evident that this campaign has been pandering in states like Ohio, Virginia, West Virginia, Indiana and Pennsylvania to attempt to generate votes from coal supporters, while keeping his true agenda hidden from the state's voters.
"Senator Obama has revealed himself to be nothing more than a short- sighted, inexperienced politician willing to say anything to get a vote. But today, the nation's coal industry and those who support it have a better understanding of his true mission, to 'bankrupt' our industry, put tens of thousands out of work and cause unprecedented increases in electricity prices.
"In addition to providing an affordable, reliable source of low-cost electricity, domestic coal holds the key to our nation's long-term energy security - a goal that cannot be overlooked during this time of international instability and economic uncertainty.
"Few policy areas are more important to our economic future than energy issues. As voters head to the polls tomorrow, it is essential they remember that access to reliable, affordable, domestic energy supplies is essential to economic growth and stability."
The Ohio Coal Association (OCA) is a non-profit trade association representing the interests of Ohio's underground and surface coal mining producers. The OCA represents nearly 40 coal producing companies and more than 50 Associate Members, which include suppliers and consultants to the mining industry, coal sales agents and brokers and allied industries. The Ohio Coal Association is committed to advancing the development and utilization of Ohio coal as an abundant, economic and environmentally sound energy source.
Hmm a non-profit seems to be a great soursce to start at. There are almost 83,000 jobs at stake here.

Coal and jobs in the United States - SourceWatch

4. The Tax Policy

Quote:
In addition, Chuck Rangle the chairman of the house Ways and Means commitee is proposing an additional “surtax” on those making over $200k. That would push marginal tax rates on those making over $250k close to 50%. That means on that 250,001st dollar, you get to bring home 50 cents.
I hate to have to say in addition again here, but Obama also wants to eliminate the cap on social security taxes. Anybody making over $102,000 will see their payroll taxes go up. This will change social security from an insurance program to a massive retirement plan that further “spreads the wealth around”.
This is a great read.

Obama and the Incredible Shrinking Tax Base « Like I was sayin’

The midterm elections can not come soon enough.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 06:33 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,757,965 times
Thankyou. I completely disagree with you. But at least you present an argument.

1) The fairness doctrine used to exist. From my understanding, it simply gives liberal and conservative voices EQUAL airtime. Hense, called the "fairness" doctorine. It will not completely shut any side up. Someone correct me if I am misinformed.

2) I can go either way on this. I am also pro-union.

3) Obama will not "bankrupt coal" lol. He just supports clean coal.

4) Obama's tax plan, whether 250k or 200k undeniably helps the middle-class base. Personally, I don't care if any of us got tax breaks - and I am making 50k. Tax breaks are just an election ploy (which both McCain and Obama used to get votes). That's not why I voted for Obama. I am ok with the Clinton years tax plan or higher.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:36 PM

528 posts, read 1,459,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
The midterm elections can not come soon enough.
If you're going to argue anything politically, you should learn to use credible resources. A blogger with 20 years IT experience and tells readers what's on his iPod should not be read and should not be taken as fact (especially if you're going to base your argument on it). This is worse than getting your info. from Wikipedia.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:41 PM

1,966 posts, read 2,696,850 times
Quote:
one thing everyone can agree on is he is not a man of his word.
Um, no...we don't all agree on that. Nice try, though.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes4birds View Post
If you're going to argue anything politically, you should learn to use credible resources. A blogger with 20 years IT experience and tells readers what's on his iPod should not be read and should not be taken as fact (especially if you're going to base your argument on it). This is worse than getting your info. from Wikipedia.
A fact is a fact. Just because you do not like the source does make un true.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:33 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,757,965 times
Quote:
A fact is a fact. Just because you do not like the source does make un true.
But it is not a fact that Obama will "bakrupt coal". As for the fairness doctrine and union-act ... that is a fact. But, as stated, the fairness doctrine makes talk-radio and other outlets fair. It does not "shut up the conservative side". And as for the union and tax debates, people have different opinions on those issues. Both sides have credible arguments. I happen to agree with Obama on those arguments.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:41 PM

543 posts, read 1,453,349 times
The fairness doctrine sounds "fair" but in reality does not work. It was tried already. You cannot legislate what people want to hear on the radio, it doesn't make business sense. And since there are many voices representing the liberal viewpoint on the major networks, radio should be left as it is. But they don't factor the networks into this argument. For whatever reason, liberal leaning programs have not done well .. so if you force stations to give equal time to unsuccessful programs, the others hurt, and sponsers pull out. Obama and the Democrats know this, their goal is to get right wing radio off the air.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:42 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,723,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
But it is not a fact that Obama will "bakrupt coal". As for the fairness doctrine and union-act ... that is a fact. But, as stated, the fairness doctrine makes talk-radio and other outlets fair. It does not "shut up the conservative side". And as for the union and tax debates, people have different opinions on those issues. Both sides have credible arguments. I happen to agree with Obama on those arguments.
The fairness doctrine isn't fair sorry. Ever heard of Freedom of Speech?

Old 11-08-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
Those where Obama's words. Like I stated I do not think he does what he preaches so im hopeful he will not. The problem is he wants to.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:14 PM

1,966 posts, read 2,696,850 times
Quote:
Like I stated I do not think he does what he preaches so im hopeful he will not.
Actually, you stated that "we all" agree with you that he doesn't keep his word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections