Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 07:05 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,633,906 times

Advertisements

He will bring a sense of vitality and positive interest to the white house.

Since he obviously has no ties with W, he will represent a 'clean slate' with other countries. It will be interesting to see how a more measured diplomacy vs cowboy diplomacy will work in the world.

I do think he wants to not so much share the wealth but spread the opportunity to earn wealth --- at least I hope so!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 07:21 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,379,027 times
My guess is, he was raised in the Civil Rights battle, Martin Luther King, Jr, Kennedy, VietNam... all while being a mixed race when that could have caused him a lot of problems. He has risen above amazing obstacles to become what he is now. He is obviously a pretty sharp cookie. I hope he has a very successful presidency. P.S. I voted for Chuck Baldwin of the Constitution Party. I will support whoever is the president. It is now Obama. Among all the tangible things, I hope this is the end to that world embarassment of racism once and for all. Finally!

Old 11-08-2008, 07:25 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,737,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro2008 View Post
He's the greatest Community Organizer I've come across...
That's a commendable achievement vs. say, a lawyer who might be president as many of them have been. Community organizers bring people together to help them achieve their goals by working together.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:30 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,244,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoppingCartLaw View Post
Okay, okay.... all I could see are negative threads that attack the anti-Obama people.

Those who did not vote for Obama, please say something POSITIVE. Only POSITIVE please!!!!!!

I will start.
ShoppingCartLaw,

With this one post I immediately have a much higher opinion of you. Prior to this your posts about Obama and his campaign have been much more suspect. You're not totally out of the fizbin doghouse, but the door is open a crack.

On the subject at hand, one idea that Obama brought forth that I think most all red-blooded American football fans can get behind is a true NCAA playoff system.

Oh, and saving the world, giving us a chicken in every pot and a cute White House dog that bites the hands of Fox News reporters - those things too . . .

Old 11-08-2008, 07:32 PM

543 posts, read 1,455,619 times
Well who can argue with saving the world, and a cute little dog?

Old 11-08-2008, 07:35 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,731,604 times
Obama is a very intelligent and articulate man. I honestly do believe he wants to do the right thing. He is my President and should be respected as such. He has achieved what has been a dream to millions.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:37 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,278,385 times
On his website, he noted that meth is destroying rural America and that he hopes to reduce its use. I also thought his immigration policies seemed OK.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:51 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,477,772 times
I didn't vote for Obama, but I like him better every day.

1. He is a decent person--a real gem in the political world--who loves his family.
2. He is a good, quick learner. I've seen him grow, and mature a great deal in the past two years.
3. He inspires the same hope and optimism of American ideals that Reagan, Kennedy, and Roosevelt did.
4. He is coolheaded and diplomatic, and seeks the advice and alliance of others

Nervous, but hopeful, as always with a new president.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:51 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,113,472 times
Way back during the primary, I was supporting Kucinich. I was not buying into the hype about Obama because I have never been swayed or influenced by trends or "the current style." In other word, I have never been a crowd follower. When Obama became the candidate, I naturally took a much closer look and paid a lot more attention to what he said and his persona. He reminds me of a music teacher from my Junior High days. This guy was hell bent on making every one of us an accomplished musician. He was so serious, seldom joked (but when he did, they were good ones) and focused on giving us his all. I really appreciated how great a teacher he really was many years later. Anyway, Obama has the same kind of demanor. I'm not bashing Bush (although tempted) but that slap on the back, buddy boy, cowboy, barbecued ribs, down home, have a beer with him attitude has been played out. Bush and most of the Neocons have their roots in privilege and they do not really realate to the common person. My gut feeling is that Obama does not have anything evil or contrived about him. I get a sense of the focus that I did with my very dedicated music teacher many years ago. Just something about him.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:23 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,244,911 times
I was moved at the reaction of black Americans when Obama was elected. I guess I should have known that it would mean that much to them, but I really never thought about that aspect of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections