Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 07:33 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,039,953 times

Advertisements

OK, I knew she wasn't qualified the day she was nominated. In fact, she is what knocked me over the fence AWAY from McCain. Did anyone do any research? Read the articles, papers from her tenure in Alaska politics? She was a piece of work there...and continued on that vein...even more so on this campaign trail.

As far as representing the "common person"...well, she did not represent me! I am no beauty queen, current nor former, do not spend over $100k on clothes for a campaign that lasted only a few months, am NOT an NRA member, do not believe in shooting things (unless you are a farmer & that is what is required to protect your livestock), nor do I like hockey. I have also, contrary to her, travelled extensively in Europe, speak another language, and was born & raised in the second largest city of this country!! About the only things we have in common are brown hair, glasses & the fact that we are women!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 07:37 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,837,664 times
Hey Cubs- I bet you also know your baseball teams better than Palin--------she was in pittsburgh and congratulated them on the Phillies World Series win.... LOL. It went over like a lead balloon.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:04 AM

382 posts, read 954,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
It appears to me that McCain supporters knew from the beginning how unqualified and dumb this woman is but now that is all over, I was surprised to hear a lot of McCain supporters finally admit that she was not qualified to be VP. Pat Robertson, just recently admitted that she was unqualified during a recent interview with Larry King. Does anybody here still think that she was qualified to be VP?
She is as qualified to be VP as Obama is to be PRES and the American people seem to think he is.

Absolutely she is going to be vilified by everyone on the McCain side and more. Someone was going to be the whipping post for McCain's incompetency. Pat Robertson? Who gives a rip what that wacko thinks or says. He will say anything to stay in the limelight. No, McCain ran a weak, uninspiring campaign and deserved to lose. How is it if she was so dumb and unqualified that the genius McCain picked her in the first place? Looks like he is more of an idiot then everyone claims she is.

McCain has always been a better Democrat then a Republican and I hope he decides to defect the next time he reaches across the aisle. The Republican party will be much better off without him.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:22 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,478,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expgc View Post
She is as qualified to be VP as Obama is to be PRES and the American people seem to think he is.

Absolutely she is going to be vilified by everyone on the McCain side and more. Someone was going to be the whipping post for McCain's incompetency. Pat Robertson? Who gives a rip what that wacko thinks or says. He will say anything to stay in the limelight. No, McCain ran a weak, uninspiring campaign and deserved to lose. How is it if she was so dumb and unqualified that the genius McCain picked her in the first place? Looks like he is more of an idiot then everyone claims she is.

McCain has always been a better Democrat then a Republican and I hope he decides to defect the next time he reaches across the aisle. The Republican party will be much better off without him.
I continue to giggle when people use the word "qualified" to suggest that Palin was ready to be VP or POTUS because she was Governer of Alaska for less then 2 years. Qualifications are subjective while competence is not and competent she isn't. Bush had a weak academic record, little intellectual curiosty and was briefly Governer of a state that is as "retro" as Alaska and we've seen how that worked out.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:46 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,793,158 times
Anyone who listens to her discuss an actual issue for 30 seconds must realize that she was WAY in over her head. She was picked because she has a vagina, and the McCain people were trying to get some Hillary supporters eager to see a woman on the ticket. It back-fired.

Qualifications for a job are more than bullet points on a resume. Anyone who says Palin is as qualified as Obama based on bullet points is being disingenuous or stupid. The amount of knowledge, wisdom, intelligence and political skill in Obama's pinky outweighs everything that Palin has. We don't need anymore leadership from the gut. We need leadership from the brain. Obama provides that. And as the election results show, America is ready for some brains in the White House.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:58 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
That "dumb" woman was in charge of the National Guard in Alaska and more qualified than BO.
Someone already responded in depth to this so I'll just add that I heard on CNN that that was Bill Clinton's response to when asked about his military experience. I also heard on CNN that Sarah called out the ANG to fight some forest fires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njchick View Post
Sheesh, she had like two days to get ready and no Hollywood dream team to help her like a certain someone. She spoke from the heart and represented the conservative base better than McCain.
Which sort of puts to rest the idea that she was oh, so qualified to begine with!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
Hey Cubs- I bet you also know your baseball teams better than Palin--------she was in pittsburgh and congratulated them on the Phillies World Series win.... LOL. It went over like a lead balloon.
That actually happened in Erie, where most people are Cleveland Indians fans and an American League team, thus they were for the Rays. The Phillies are an NL team. I did blame the speech writer for that gaffe.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:24 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
That "dumb" woman was in charge of the National Guard in Alaska and more qualified than BO.
How long have you lived in this country? Governors do NOT run their state's NG Units. Yes, they have some control, such as deploying them during a disaster, but they don't 'run' them. They are not a "mini me Commander in Chief"

Old 11-09-2008, 10:51 AM

2,195 posts, read 3,640,656 times
Quote:
"Someone was going to be the whipping post for Bush's incompetency."

Your attack on McCain reminds me of the attacks on Dukakis after 1988's debacle.

Dukakis's campaign squandered a good opportunity.

But I think you mistake running a poor campaign with being either an idiot or less than a true representative of your party.

He's not a Democrat - he wasn't even close the way Chris Shays was, for example. There are plenty of Republicans to the left of John McCain.

Quote:
*laughs*

A mixed citation if ever there were one.

The American people seem to think Obama is qualified.

They also seem to think that Palin is not, and by greater numbers than they think Obama is. I would hazard a guess that they are stronger in their opinions about her than him!

"Qualified" is not just the sum of your positions. It is what you have done in them, thought about them, and thought about beyond them!

Palin may or may not be bright. I hope I have no cause to find out for sure, though I suspect she will not be fading from the public eye. But, to me, the issue is not purely one of how bright she is. I don't, unlike some, discount her intelligence for how many colleges she went to or which ones they were.

What I look at, though, was her apparent lack of engagement in thought on American and International issues, the absence of any sign that she's considered these questions at all.

*shrugs* You can keep defending her qualifications, and nobody is likely to dissuade you. I suspect, as with McCain's tax plan, Mondale's foreign policy intentions, and Dukakis's methods for dealing with immigration, that question will end up on the scrap heap of history, where it belongs.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:25 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,413,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
It appears to me that McCain supporters knew from the beginning how unqualified and dumb this woman is but now that is all over, I was surprised to hear a lot of McCain supporters finally admit that she was not qualified to be VP. Pat Robertson, just recently admitted that she was unqualified during a recent interview with Larry King. Does anybody here still think that she was qualified to be VP?
Robertson also admitted that Obama wasn't qualified either, BTW.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:28 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
She had more than the 143 days of holding public office than Obama had and everyone seems to think he is perfectly qualified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections