U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 12:38 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,256,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guero View Post
You might want to get some crates of food and barrels of water.

Obama is bringing the end of the world, remember?

*secret lefty wink*
I have a secret bunker that is overflowing with canned goods, bottled water, batteries, a gas generator and a promise of free gas and oil from Hugo Chavez. I'm set!! But that's only if I can't escape. Truth be known, I'm really moving to New Zealand with my daughter. I just didn't want the Obamamites to find out. They may force me to continue to live in the Obama Nation after he declares himself Supreme Dictator in Charge of All Things American (and if you can see it from your back yard, like Russia, that too).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 12:42 AM

994 posts, read 1,322,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
I have a secret bunker that is overflowing with canned goods, bottled water, batteries, a gas generator and a promise of free gas and oil from Hugo Chavez. I'm set!! But that's only if I can't escape. Truth be known, I'm really moving to New Zealand with my daughter. I just didn't want the Obamamites to find out. They may force me to continue to live in the Obama Nation after he declares himself Supreme Dictator in Charge of All Things American (and if you can see it from your back yard, like Russia, that too).
...another domino falls.

Can I borrow a cup of Cuban sugar?

Old 11-11-2008, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guero View Post
...another domino falls.

Can I borrow a cup of Cuban sugar?
Here ya go,

Old 11-11-2008, 12:50 AM

994 posts, read 1,322,843 times
Quote:
Here ya go,

Old 11-11-2008, 03:03 AM

343 posts, read 829,572 times
Hmm..well I guess I have to start thinking about how I am going to spend that extra cash that Obama will be giving under the new tax plan.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:28 AM

27,903 posts, read 33,511,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatLakesDrifter View Post
Simple answers from simple people...

The reason for Detroit's decline is because it was artificially inflated due to the auto industry starting out there. It never had the geographical advantages that Chicago, or even Toledo and Cleveland had/has (both great lakes access & mainline rail access to the midwestern hinterland and the large east coast market), but a metropolis grew because Henry Ford and a few other early automakers decided to keep the business in the hometown. As this industry grew, suppliers sprouted up and demand for housing skyrocketed; at one time, Detroit had almost as many people as Chicago has now (about 2.5 mil). This heavy reliance on the auto industry and therefore the oil industry (when oil cost increases, car sales decrease). Top this off with global competition, poor management choices (why did they insist on building large gas guzzling cars and then do it again later on with the SUVs????!!), and yes, union protections giving johnny the bolt gun operator $20+ per hour, and you have the auto industry contraction (and therefore community contraction in detroit and environs) that is now occuring. Michigan is the only state in the union that is in a DEPRESSION not merely a recession.

The republicans offered no solution but to let the free-market do its thing with Detroit (aka Let them rot), while Obamas background, plan, and statements lead me to beleive he will invest government money in the area with the new energy economy as well as infrastructure improvements (which the state BADLY needs) that could give Detroit that transportation advantage and maybe position it as an efficient US-Canada tradezone, as well as provide jobs directly with the infrastructure projects (just like the WPA did)

And now, not only Michigan, but our whole country is in deep doo-doo right now, and it's going to take more than war mongering, tax breaks, and deregulation to fix it. If I had to choose between Reagan and Obama, I would still have voted and supported Obama. I rest much easier at night knowing that he will be taking control! And if he makes stupid moves and screws us over, you can throw a pie in my face...
You ever work in a union? Since I'm so simple to you I would just like to make sure someone spouting off insults has them coming from their mouth instead of the side of their neck.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:25 AM

12,635 posts, read 14,674,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgmun5000 View Post
Hmm..well I guess I have to start thinking about how I am going to spend that extra cash that Obama will be giving under the new tax plan.
Yeah, good luck with that...

Old 11-11-2008, 08:28 AM

85,074 posts, read 99,122,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanieuk View Post
I got it the FIRST time! Same story, still think the same.....Get ready to pay higher taxes....Have fun "traveling abroad" just make sure you print your pictures in the US....we need the business!
If you don't care where someone takes a vacation, why are you bashing her for this? I say "jealousy".

Old 11-11-2008, 01:15 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,055,126 times
Quote:
Yes, it was a large leap which is no different and no less wrong than lumping all people who require the assistance from their state or the federal government into one group. The Obama hater's on this forum have a knack for lumping everyone and everything they don't like into one pile and calling it 'fact'. The welfare system is flawed, no doubt about it. I agree with you on that point. The problem is that many conservatives want to cut the entire system out leaving the disabled, the elderly, and the children out in the cold along with the welfare cheats. I'm all for a system that requires you work for what you get; be it cleaning up the road sides, flipping burgers, whatever. I'm all for helping others get an education so they can get off the welfare rolls. I don't believe in welfare for those who are capable of working but choose not to work. I don't know anyone liberal or otherwise who believe anyone should get something for nothing. Those who spout that lie are ignorant and choose to believe those lies rather than accept the fact that conservatives and liberals are closer regarding this issue than they want to believe. If they did, where would they direct all that vented up hatred?
I think that overgeneralization goes both ways in order to justify less then valid points.
As to everyone wanting welfare to be cleaned up.....I don't know that I agree with you. Maybe all 'civilians' do regardless of party affiliation, but look at how all (and yes, I mean all) politicians are so afraid to touch welfare reform with a ten foot poll (OK, that was a typo as I meant pole but I think I will let it stand as it is also true). Did either Obama or Mccain bring it up in the debates? Was it ever brought up in the primaries? Oh sure, there were oblique references to 'trimming fat' with a scalpel....but come on, our politicians have a reason for everything they do and that does include 'addicting' people to the welfare system. I just can't for the life of me figure out why....

Btw, I am totally jealous of your trip to NZ. I hope you and your dd have a great time.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I think that overgeneralization goes both ways in order to justify less then valid points.
As to everyone wanting welfare to be cleaned up.....I don't know that I agree with you. Maybe all 'civilians' do regardless of party affiliation, but look at how all (and yes, I mean all) politicians are so afraid to touch welfare reform with a ten foot poll (OK, that was a typo as I meant pole but I think I will let it stand as it is also true). Did either Obama or Mccain bring it up in the debates? Was it ever brought up in the primaries? Oh sure, there were oblique references to 'trimming fat' with a scalpel....but come on, our politicians have a reason for everything they do and that does include 'addicting' people to the welfare system. I just can't for the life of me figure out why....

Btw, I am totally jealous of your trip to NZ. I hope you and your dd have a great time.
Thanks. We're really excited about our trip.

Those of us who are realistic know that all of our problems will not be solved in the next four years. I have confidence and hope that our new administration will provide the start in which we can start building a better future for our country.

Barack Obama on Welfare & Poverty
Create 20 Promise Neighborhoods in high-poverty cities

• Establish 20 Promise Neighborhoods: Obama will create 20 Promise Neighborhoods in cities across the nation that have high levels of poverty and crime and low levels of student academic achievement. The Promise Neighborhoods will be modeled after the Harlem Children's Zone, which provides a full network of services, including early childhood education, youth violence prevention efforts and after-school activities, to an entire neighborhood from birth to college.
  • Ensure Community-Based Investment Resources in Every Urban Community: Obama will work with community and business leaders to identify and address the unique economic development barriers of every major metropolitan area. Obama will provide additional resources to the federal Community Development Financial Institution Fund, the Small Business Administration and other federal agencies, especially to their local branch offices, to address community needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or