Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 02:01 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,338,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
Sorry, being PC has nothing to do with it. The mere fact that other groups who's numbers far surpassed the blck vote in CA tells me that people aren't really interested in the outcome but only to find a scapegoat. Again, where is the outrage for the 5 million whites who voted yes?
Just like with the presidential election, people tried to say that the black vote is what elected Obama, but studies show that it was the white vote that mattered more. Now all of the sudden its only the black vote that mattered with prop 8, no one elses. Talk about Hypocrisy.

Also, the poll takers apparently had no black male respondents. If that is true then how can this 70% # be close to accurate?

It doesn't have to be...people hear this news and allows their biases to take over.

The polls gave the numbers in terms of race how they voted. Black women by far voted NO no other group did that. Yes I know its not PC.

Now you may not like that but it is what it is.

They have a right to vote any way they want everyone does its no crime but they should think about the rights they want to deny others.

Hispanics are just a tad better but many with same mind set meanwhile Whites as a whole voted yes.

Wonder who the bigots truly are yes ofcourse its not pc thus it may offend you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 02:09 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,856,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
Sorry, being PC has nothing to do with it. The mere fact that other groups who's numbers far surpassed the blck vote in CA tells me that people aren't really interested in the outcome but only to find a scapegoat. Again, where is the outrage for the 5 million whites who voted yes?
Just like with the presidential election, people tried to say that the black vote is what elected Obama, but studies show that it was the white vote that mattered more. Now all of the sudden its only the black vote that mattered with prop 8, no one elses. Talk about Hypocrisy.

Also, the poll takers apparently had no black male respondents. If that is true then how can this 70% # be close to accurate?

It doesn't have to be...people hear this news and allows their biases to take over.
There is outrage at whites who voted to ban gay marriage, but most of these whites have never been the target of bigotry or screamed for equal rights. They are simply bigots themselves.

Black people have for years fought for equal rights and then turned right around and denied those rights to other groups. Do you get it? Equal rights are just that, EQUAL rights for ALL regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, etc. It looks as if many in the black community do not want "equal" rights, but black rights. May not be PC to say, but it is exactly what the vote in California showed.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:15 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
This isn't about Republicans. This is about black people and their hypocrisies. They denied the same rights they so longed for to another segment of the population. They fought for the right for interracial marriage, but when it comes to same-sex marriage, they suddenly say no?

I never agree with you on much, but I agree with you on this. We just expected more from black folk since blacks know what it's like to be discriminated against.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:22 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,405,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
There is outrage at whites who voted to ban gay marriage, but most of these whites have never been the target of bigotry or screamed for equal rights. They are simply bigots themselves.

Black people have for years fought for equal rights and then turned right around and denied those rights to other groups. Do you get it? Equal rights are just that, EQUAL rights for ALL regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, etc. It looks as if many in the black community do not want "equal" rights, but black rights. May not be PC to say, but it is exactly what the vote in California showed.
Sorry but that is your bigotted opinion. Although I am not a resident of California I am black and I firmly believe that homosexuality is a lifestyle issue and primarily one that simply put, is a matter of sexual preference. It has nothing to do with the civil rights movement and therefore to blame blacks whose primary opposition to homosexuality has more to do with our religious belief of it being an abomination in the eyes of God is so not fair.

None of us can change the color of our skin. Homosexuals on the other hand do have the right and the option to abstain from their behavior or live their lives however they see fit. But to blame black people because we do not condone marriage between two people of the same sex is beyond ridiculous. Again, your issue is more about personal choices and the desire for societal acceptance than civil rights.

Would you be so kind as to connect the dots of sexual preference vs. enslavement, lynching, rape and being considered only 3/5ths human or not being able to marry because we were not white.

In all fairness, if you can do that maybe it will help a lot of us understand the comparison. Thank you in advance.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:23 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,305,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
This isn't about Republicans. This is about black people and their hypocrisies. They denied the same rights they so longed for to another segment of the population. They fought for the right for interracial marriage, but when it comes to same-sex marriage, they suddenly say no?
I think the point many are trying to make is that by centering the ire on this Prop 8 vote on blacks, you are essentially perpetuating that an African American still should be, and is, judged differently than others due to their skin color. I understand that you feel that those that have fought to end their own oppression and sought equality, should not be voting against these same rights for others. But simply put, a large percentage of blacks and any other group that voted "Yes", do not see the right for gays to marry in the same light. Those in the African American community might feel that their right to vote for or against Prop 8 should not be judged any differently than somebody who was white, female, etc, because to hold them to a different level of criticism, or to single them out, perpetuates the lack of equality they are supposed to have alongside any other race, creed, religion, etc. You are judging the merits of their vote differently, only based on their ethnicity. You could be spending just as much time ranting about how white males have ALWAYS had equal rights and as such should be even MORE compelled to vote these same rights for gays...to single out the votes of a particular community is one thing when discussing culture, the role religion plays, etc, but to JUDGE their vote differently than a white person's vote is also biased.

All that being said...gay marriage rights will be the norm in the next 10-20 years as generations turn over and the teens and twenty-somethings of today, most of whom could care less, vote in favor of it. And I say, let them enjoy the same misery as all of us straight folks

Old 11-11-2008, 02:24 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,856,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Sorry but that is your bigotted opinion. Although I am not a resident of California I am black and I firmly believe that homosexuality is a lifestyle issue and primarily one that simply put, is a matter of sexual preference. It has nothing to do with the civil rights movement and therefore to blame blacks whose primary opposition to homosexuality has more to do with our religious belief of it being an abomination in the eyes of God is so not fair.

None of us can change the color of our skin. Homosexuals on the other hand do have the right and the option to abstain from their behavior.

Would you be so kind as to connect the dots of sexual preference vs. enslavement, lynching, rape and being considered only 3/5ths human or not being able to marry because we were not white.

In all fairness, if you can do that maybe it will help a lot of us understand the comparison. Thank you in advance.
Bigotry at its finest there.

The connection is very simple.....it is called EQUAL RIGHTS.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:29 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,935,880 times
I don't think gay people are blaming blacks for Prop 8 but wondering why another minority would vote against them. Religious whites are always against it but they are not minorities nor have they had the issues black, latinos and gays have had. It's like they "sold out" other minorities.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:36 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,405,301 times
Quote:
Bigotry at its finest there.

The connection is very simple.....it is called EQUAL RIGHTS.
Other than marriage, which law is on the books as a union between a man and woman, what rights don't you have in American society?

After all you are angry because the majority of black people do not accept or condone the act of men having sex with men and women having sex with women? At the end of the day, that's the basis of homosexuality and nobody has outlawed you living how you choose to live.

I see no other reason for marriage being necessary other than you want your sexual relationships to be acceptable to all. It took us 221 years for the majority of white Americans to feel a black man was acceptable as POTUS, yet you think we should feel obligated to change our religious beliefs because what? Homosexuals voted for Obama or is it merely to accomodate your lifestyle choice?

Again, please enlighten me as to why sexual preferences and lifestyles should be linked to the civil rights movement and the plight of black Americans.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:43 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,637,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
The polls gave the numbers in terms of race how they voted. Black women by far voted NO no other group did that. Yes I know its not PC.

Now you may not like that but it is what it is.

They have a right to vote any way they want everyone does its no crime but they should think about the rights they want to deny others.

Hispanics are just a tad better but many with same mind set meanwhile Whites as a whole voted yes.

Wonder who the bigots truly are yes ofcourse its not pc thus it may offend you.
I've seen some of your posts before...you sound like one of the people I was speaking about.

Refusing to see what others have done, just blaming it on one group. Letting the other groups pass for no other reason than to let your biases show.

PC has nothing to do with it, but speaking the truth does. Placing the blame on one group without acknowledging others is just as bigoted as trying to blame the black community as a whole for the passing of prop 8

Old 11-11-2008, 02:58 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,637,097 times
Quote:

Again you don't seem to get it:

#1 where is the outrage that 5 million whites voted in CA against prop 8

#2 You say that the whites who voted yes are just bigots...that's it plain and simple, so basically they get a pass because they are what they are and blacks don't because they are black. That is the perfect example of bigotry right there.

During the no to prop rallies in CA white gay people called black gay people at the same rally the N word. The same people that were in protest with them they were insulting because other black people voted Yes.

That is what I am talking about...you probably won't get or don't want to because judging on your past posts you probably have some of the same feelings. Those people who did that are just using this to let their biases flow freely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections