Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 09:12 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,738,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Hey, all I was saying was it will be interesting to see if the Patriot Act gets repealed or not. One thing about government programs of any ilk is this --- once started, no matter how bad they may be they are almost impossible to shut down. Then too, the Patriot Act while sucking for the rank and file American, does benefit politicians. In this case, Obama would get all of the benefits of the patriot act without the responsibility of having created it. As I said, it will be interesting to see how all of this plays out in the next few years --- especially since they are now warning of a nuclear attack against the US within the next 4 years i.e. Obamas term.
I really hope Obama can reverse the Bush deprivations of liberties for Americans and prisoners alike, and make it harder for another future Bush-like idiot to try and do it again.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:35 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Who is "they"? And we certainly rank among the WORLD LEADERS in that vile, disgusting and ILLEGAL act of torture to "detainee's" or "terrorists", which itself, in considering those making the accusations are the SAME ONES who told me about WMD, and suffering these abuses are often times INNOCENT of charges, and I know the accusers are liars as well as sadists.

They (the soon to be former members of the Bush Admin.) need to be investigated, legally, through the U.S. Justice Dept., for their crimes against humanity. Hire a special prosecutor

I am by no means exonerating the tortue of detainees, at all.

But come on....we are the world leaders of tortue? Perhaps you need to read up a little on what life is like under Kim Jong Il.....

Old 12-05-2008, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I am by no means exonerating the tortue of detainees, at all.

But come on....we are the world leaders of tortue? Perhaps you need to read up a little on what life is like under Kim Jong Il.....
We dont know much of what Kim does, because theres no access, but we know what the Bush/Cheny admin has done in Guantanamo, Abu Grabe and theres a lot more torture locations, and isnt America supposed to be held to a higher standard

Old 12-05-2008, 10:50 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
These actions have brought shame on me and my country. I call for independent investigation and, if crimes have been committed, prosecution and punishment to the fullest extent of the Law. Remember "following orders" or "I did not know it was wrong" is not an excuse for war crimes.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:03 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
We dont know much of what Kim does, because theres no access, but we know what the Bush/Cheny admin has done in Guantanamo, Abu Grabe and theres a lot more torture locations, and isnt America supposed to be held to a higher standard
Absolutely! I am not disagreeing with you that torture should not be in our bag of tricks, so to speak.
But, we do know what goes on under Kim Jong Il, we do know about the generational imprisonment of dissenters, we do know about the executions in the street of christians......what the US has resorted to do in an effort to keep us safe was wrong and will come back to bite us, I'm sure. But let's not minimize the monstrous regimes like Kims, and the crimes against humanity that they perpetrate.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
These actions have brought shame on me and my country. I call for independent investigation and, if crimes have been committed, prosecution and punishment to the fullest extent of the Law. Remember "following orders" or "I did not know it was wrong" is not an excuse for war crimes.
You right!

Old 12-09-2008, 11:05 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,109,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I agree with you completely. It is way past time for America to reverse this downhill slide into fascism that began back in Nixon's time and has accelerated at an alarming rate during the past 8 years. The Constitution has been ignored and treated as "suggestions" rather than law. Torture has become an accepted method of dealing with suspects. We have told the world community that we don't need or want their respect. Will Obama reverse this destructive trend? I have to say that I honestly don't know. His "pragmatic politics" are no doubt useful and even necessary in most cases. However, the American system of government was not set up by pragmatist but by idealist who didn't think we should not settle for simply being safe. They thought we should reach for how we can stay free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections