U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2008, 11:17 AM

31,385 posts, read 31,062,067 times

Advertisements

There seems to be a recurring theme throughout all of these threads; the hypocrisy of African Americans. There doesn't seem to be much discussion on how the campaign opposing Prop 8 was presented, there does seem to be much discussion of attitudes about gays and lesbians in society in general or the African American community in particular. There also seems to be a total absence of correlating religious conviction in the African American community with how that correlates to opinions regarding gays and lesbians amongst religious adherents in general, which leaves me with the impression that all this is simply a substitute for a more general assault on African Americans. Taking into consideration that 30% of African Americans voted to oppose the proposition and the fact that all African Americans don't live in California, such sweeping indictments gives, this observe, the feeling that most of these attacks are bit disingenuous, to say the very least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 09:08 AM

6 posts, read 4,360 times
Default Not a Brilliant Chess Move

I found the results of Prop 8 to be morbidly disgusting! Although I am a Black heterosexual female, nevertheless I have always supported gay marriages, same-sex adoptions, as well as upholding the Supreme Court decision of Roe V Wade. Unfortunately, Christianity has a played a vital role in many Black communities. Many African Americans are physically liberal, but socially conservative. What went wrong with Prop 8 and the Black vote? A.S.S.U.M.P.T.I.O.N and BAD MARKETING! There is a smaller percentage of Blacks living in California than any other ethnicity group. There are more faith-based televised sermons advertised on BET, than MTV or VH1. There were no grassroots campaign pushing the opposition agenda of Prop 8 in Black and Hispanic urban/suburban areas. Kanye West, a rapper who has openly expressed his support for gay marriages would have been a great spokesperson for the Black community. Politics is a game of chess, and Prop 8 is just one of the 16 pieces! The Mormans understood their religious constituents. If you want to forward a faith based agenda among minorities, then target the Black churches. President Bush did this during his Presidential campaign. Trying to push Prop 8 right after the Presidential victory of President Obama {without gaining a favorable amount of attention to this subject from Blacks and Hispanics} was infantile. You want Prop 8 eradicated? Then reach out to the Black community. It's NEVER too late! I still support same sex marriages

Old 10-28-2009, 09:09 AM

6 posts, read 4,360 times
Default Here's a Brilliant Chess Move...

Here is a great chess move. According to DADI, 69% of births among Black women were to unwed mothers. Black women are the least likely to be married (more than any other women of any different ethnicity). Call the Black churches out on their hypocrisy. The older pre-Civil Rights generation do not believe that Gay-Marriage is a civil rights issue, so don't make it one! It's a losing battle! Instead create this argument, "Why are so many African-Americans concerned about respecting the institution of marriage, when so many children in Black communities are being born out of wedlock?" This would be a great debate to take on with Black pastors. A widely publicized debate on BET with pastors {like Creflo A. Dollar and TD Jakes}, would push the issue among many young voters in HBCUs (historically Black Colleges and Universities). Target the Black Gay Elite in Atlanta, Georgia to pull further resources. They are well connected to many other Black organizations and learning institutions. I hate to admit this, but the failure of Prop 8 did not lie with the Mormans or religious Blacks. The failure lied with the upper-middle class gay elite who refused to form allies with the Black and Hispanic communities. The Morman churches CAME PREPARED!

Old 10-28-2009, 09:43 AM

484 posts, read 1,046,876 times
I see the issue a bit differently. I think the "Black church" fell in line with most of the other opposition to Prop 8. That is, they insist of defining marriage as between a man and a woman.

I'm not sure where the hypocrisy comes from. Does the Black church value marriage differently than other churches? I honestly don't know because while I'm Black, I'm not a church-goer.

As for gay marriage in general, I'm all for it. I think society benefits when two people, regardless of gender, commit to each other. I do think it's fruitless to try and win the support and acceptance from the religious community on this matter. My understanding is that many people draw their opposition to gay marriage from the Bible and while others, even religious people, may disagree, such people are unlikely to be convinced otherwise.

This is what "marriage" would look like in my world:

Two consenting adults may form a civil union. Civil unions recognized by a church body shall be called "marriages". Civil unions and marriages shall enjoy the same rights and privileges by the state.

This way, churches are free to do what they will and gay people are free to be equal. If a church wishes to condemn homosexuality, let them do so. Gay people who may be members of such a church are free to look for another church.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:55 PM

18,698 posts, read 14,816,085 times
One thing I want to point out is the 70% number was deemed to be simply really poor exit polling once the vote totals were broken down to precinct level data. African Americans still voted to overturn gay marriage, but not nearly at the rates the exit polling suggested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or