Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 08:14 PM

22 posts, read 84,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Well, remember that he had his top level security briefing the other week, I would imagine it was an eye opener for him, therefore it adjusted based on current intelligence on the situation.

I was really hoping to see attention shift to Afghanistan, however.

I thought the same thing. It always looks easy untill you get the real picture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 08:16 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,244,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry.shilling View Post
I thought the same thing. It always looks easy untill you get the real picture
And Bush has had the real picture and has been criticized for making THE SAME DECISION THAT NOW OBAMA SAYS HE'S GOING TO KEEP UP WITH. So now all of a sudden it's okay to be in Iraq because now OBAMA has seen the intelligence and agrees with Bush? You people are unreal.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:20 PM

607 posts, read 922,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
What situation has changed in Iraq? Sounds to me like he now knows that Bush was right about Iraq and now he is going to do what Bush is doing there. So it's okay for Obama, not okay for Bush?
I don't think coping with the current situation in Iraq and doing the most responsible thing is the same as acknowledging that Bush was right about Iraq. Obama was right that we should never have gone there, but now he has figured out that you can't just leave immediately.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplecow1 View Post
I don't think coping with the current situation in Iraq and doing the most responsible thing is the same as acknowledging that Bush was right about Iraq. Obama was right that we should never have gone there, but now he has figured out that you can't just leave immediately.
Ummmm....you have a short memory. When we first went into Iraq, everyone, incluing the Dems, including Bill Clinton, AGREED that that is what we needed to do, based on the intelligence. Then later everyone blames Bush for it. Of course, Obama wasn't even around at that time and was not privvy to the intelligence so it doesn't matter what he thought at the time. It's easy in retrospect to blame Bush, but the truth is everyone, including the Dems, were all for it at the time and then later blamed Bush.

And weren't McCain and many others WHO KNOW MORE THAN OBAMA TELLING Obama he couldn't just pull out of Iraq immediately? Now Obama sees they were right.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:24 PM

I see the Dems don't want to touch this topic with a 10 foot pole.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:22 PM

88,964 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
The title of the article is "Obama's plan for Iraq about to meet reality."

It should read "Obama's naive, emotional rants about Iraq meet reality."

He never had a "plan" for Iraq.
Actually, it's closer to "Obama's Madison Avenue campaign marketing rhetoric on Iraq that people believed without researching the facts crashes head first into reality."

Nice 180 Mr. Pres-elect. I'd give it a 9.5 for speed.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:37 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,102,386 times
Cute responses guys. But the Iraqi's themselves want us out in 16 months. They've wanted us out for a while. But now there is an administration who is prepared to listen to them. This article says nothing to indicate otherwise.

Don't worry. Our freedom will still be safe despite not having permanent military bases in an invaded country.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:03 AM

820 posts, read 1,202,405 times
The going is tough in A-stan---so throw the our Iraqi allies ( not everyone in Iraq--just millions) under the bus? And send the troops to A-stan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
The Bush cartel left Afghanastan half done so they could rush off after their real target...Iraq. While no one was paying attention Afghanastan has unraveled....all that we HAD accomplished is coming undone...and all that we had left undone is now blowing up in our face. Our soldiers there are in desperate need of reinforcements. This situation is truly approaching crisis level. But we will not have the reinforcements to send them while we are bogged down in Iraq. Our "contract" is up January 1 in Iraq. Pull out the soldeirs NOW and send reinforcements to Afghanastan. One of the reasons I was so supportive of Obama was that he seemed to be one of the few who had kept his eye on the ball and realized what was really happening. If he leaves our soldiers there twisting in the wind to give into the pressure to keep supporting Iraq I will be more disillusioned and disappointed than I can say.
I gotta agree that the Bush Administration made a mess of things 2003 thru 2006. Horrible mistakes. (Not kidding about that at all).

Moving right along.
This is a stroke of brillant strategy. Sure to encourage people in A-stan to actively work with Americans and other allied forces . Trust & confidence and all that.
Or not.

I did not vote for the President-Elect but I am very glad that he is wiser than some of his supporters.

How do you say: "If he dumped them , he will dump us" in Pashtun ?

Old 11-15-2008, 08:10 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,107,710 times
So you vote for letting our soldiers be massacred? Good grief. Iraq wants us gone. We had no business there in the first place. They have the money and resources to take care of themselves, they did it before our invasion. Meanwhile our troops are waiting for reinforcements in Afghanastan and no one is coming. Remember the Alamo.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:01 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Makes you wonder about the democrats constantly trying to pass bills in congress to force Bush to remove troops in 18 months. If Iraq wanted us gone all tehy have to do is pass a bill stating such. But I wouldn't really call Saddam's governamnt a job of takihng care of the people;more like mass murdering them. I really think that Obama is in a bad situation in that he promised so much to so any groups that are now pounding at his door. The democtrats can hardly justify keeping troops in Iraq how more than 18 m0nths as they will be accused of playing politics with the war just to have a issue.I reqaloly think that Afganistan is a much harder issue than many think and will change to the cause of radical muslims once wee are out of Iraq.Afganistan remember has nver had a central government that control much of the country even under the british empire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections