Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 07:37 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I totally agree. IMO, the biggest problem with the whole Palin choice was the mavericky last minute surprise element of it all. Very bad judgement of McCain's part.

If she had been given an adequate time to prepare for the job--and if the public had been given an adequate opportunity to get to know her--she might have been an acceptable candidate. Maybe. Well, maybe not.... but I'd like to give her the benefit of the doubt.
It wasnt quite the last minute, thank God! I think she held onto her
messiah status for about three weeks. Thank goodness we had time to meet her via her interviews, then the debate that had to be reformatted to accommodate her ineptitude, then (speaking of vets) her mavericky rabblerousing of that Carnival of the Animals in the last couple of weeks.

She showed she wasnt interested in seriously preparing for the job - continues to show this. Im grateful we had time to see!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 11:01 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
BS and nothing else. But, people always have to have some sort of LIE to hang their hat onto when they HATE as so many do. In fact, it has all been proven to be a lie. Hell, even CNN a few days ago already had debunked most of what was said, including the Africa story. The only reason you don't want to believe it is a lie is because you dislike her so much.
Hmmm, I don't remember reading/hearing that Palin not knowing that Africa is not a country and only a continent had been debunked, only the wrongfully identified, imaginary source of the leak had been. And I don't remember a thread being posted about it either, which it seems like some obsessed Palin fan would have done upon hearing this. Could you provide a link that disproves that someone in the McCain camp made the negative comments about Palin, including the Africa comment? I think you forgot to include a link to this lie revelation from one of the many of sources from which this must have been reported when you posted before. Much thanks.

Last edited by helenejen; 11-13-2008 at 12:10 PM..

Old 11-13-2008, 11:13 AM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
You must have missed the first paragraph of the NYT article, which states, "It was among the juicier post-election recriminations: Fox News Channel quoted an unnamed McCain campaign figure as saying that Sarah Palin did not know that Africa was a continent."

The Africa story started with Fox on O'Reilly's show. MSNBC's and The New Republic's mistake was attributing the comments to the made up Eisenstadt, who "claimed credit."
Actually Carl Camron of Fox News broke the story. It was not started on the O'Reilly show. Camron was reporting this much earlier that day.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:16 AM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Now? Have you ever heard of "swiftboating?"
Sorry idahogie. there is a huge difference between what happened with the swiftboat veterans for truth and this non-story story about palin.

To begin with all the Swifties stood up in public and provided their name rank and serial numbers. They stand by thier story to this day. Every one of them is an American Hero.

Liberals like to talk about "swiftboating" like it was some lie being told by unnamed sources but they do so to keep from dealing with the fact that they nominated a great American idiot to run for president.

the MSM is supposed to provide unbiased news so we the people can make educated decisions.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:50 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
I've said this before, but it's worth repeating. When Fox introduced Andy Martin as an author and political analyst/commentator I lost the 1% interest I had in watching that network. They forgot to mention he's a convicted felon, wasn't rejected from the bar in IL and FL for being mentally unstable and once called a judge a dirty, slimy Jew. Other than that, I guess he's a reliable source!

On another board a Palin fan posted Eisenstadt's blog and everyone was saying "See? I told you" blah, blah. Now that we know there is no such person and the blog and youtube videos are all hoaxes, they also can't seem to comprehend that it was only the leak that was a joke. We don't know if the comment about Africa is true or not, but I wonder why they'd leak it. Maybe it's because the Republican Party knows they need to change their "God sent me to serve" slogan to win future elections.

I watched Palin on Larry King Live last night and she continues to not answer questions directly. It's as if she has a speech prepared, and she'll say it whether or not it's relative to the subject. I was going to say she evades the question, but she doesn't. She just responds in circles, not even in a circumloquacious attempt to get to the answer, but to say something positive about herself and her purpose.

Something else I've said before but I'll repeat is that Katie Couric probably showed us the best of Sarah Palin. I doubt if the Republicans would allow the networks to air an hour of vacuous responses. I never read this anywhere but, in my heart, I really believe anytime we saw Palin (Gibson, Couric, Williams) we saw an edited version of the TV interviews. I think the only reason we saw some unflattering moments (the Bush Doctine question, the Putin rears his head answer, etc.) is because there wouldn't be enough material to fill the time. Anyone who saw her on Larry King must realize that she obviously knows how to speak to the camera, but after she's done you can't think of anything of substance she offered.

At least I'm relieved to see her blab so much on all these recent interviews. It's obvious she just likes the spotlight and isn't focusing on what's best for this country, similar to when McCain announced he was suspending his campaign. I honestly think this overexposure will reduce her chance of higher office in the future. After all, very popular candidates like Mike Huckabee and Mitt Romney couldn't get enough votes, and she'd have to raise an awful lot of money. Obama would really have to screw up to lose to her, but I welcome a Palin/Wurzelbacher ticket. They can have a campaign motto "Let's Dummy Down America"

Old 11-13-2008, 12:14 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Actually Carl Camron of Fox News broke the story. It was not started on the O'Reilly show. Camron was reporting this much earlier that day.
I don't normally watch Fox and only tuned into the O'Reilly show to see if Bill's head was going to explode after the election. But it is interesting that Camron was reporting all of the Palin stuff earlier. If Bill disagreed or wanted to raise questions about the validity of the story, he would have had plenty of time to prep and do just that on his show. I assumed that he was hearing about the Palin stories for the first time. Interesting.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:29 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,937,765 times
Instead of saying the whole thing was "taken out of context", why didn't Palin say "it never happened or it was made up"? I mean, that's what I would have said.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:37 PM

1,966 posts, read 2,702,939 times
Apparently, some of the rabid Palin fans on this board are having serious issues with reading and comprehension today. Come on, guys...learn to read past the headline and the first paragraph of an article.

Pirate Girl, Delusianne, justNancy and helenejen are correct...Palin's geographical gaffe was not proven to be a hoax.

The only thing that has been proven to be a hoax is the identity of the anonymous source who originally tipped the media about Palin's Africa blunder. The fake Eisenstadt took credit for being the McCain advisor who leaked the information to the media, but he obviously was not. The anonymous source is still out there, remaining anonymous.

No one has debunked the Africa-is-a-continent allegation by an anonymous McCain advisor. As of right now, that accusation still stands...Palin did not know that Africa was a continent, and not a country.

Whether or not it is true, who knows? But, the OP's article, as well as the article linked in this thread by Anonymous Political Junky, only prove that Eisenstadt was not an anonymous source within the McCain campaign who tipped the media about Palin's Africa blunder. The linked articles DO NOT prove that Palin knew that Africa was a continent, and that the entire story itself was a hoax. They only prove that some idiot took credit for reporting it to the media, when that credit actually is due to an anonymous McCain advisor who still remains anonymous.

From FOX News:

Quote:
The hoax was limited to the identity of the source in the story about Palin -- not the FOX News story itself. While Palin has denied that she mistook Africa for a country, the veracity of that report was not put in question by the revelation that Eisenstadt is a phony.
MSNBC Retracts False Palin Story; Others Duped - FOXNews.com Elections

Last edited by Politico; 11-13-2008 at 02:15 PM..

Old 11-13-2008, 02:30 PM

1,966 posts, read 2,702,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
I told all of you that these stories were false and a bunch of hooey! Now the networks are having to make retractions.
Um, except the Palin-Africa story itself was not proven to be "hooey." The only thing that was proven false was the IDENTITY of the anonymous source who leaked the yet-to-be-debunked Palin-Africa gaffe. Perhaps it would have done you some good to read the ENTIRE article you linked, instead of drawing conclusions, based on your misinterpretation of the first three paragraphs.

From your own link:

Quote:
MSNBC was the victim of a hoax when it reported that an adviser to John McCain had identified himself as the source of an embarrassing story about former vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin, the network said Wednesday.

David Shuster, an anchor for the cable news network, said on air Monday that Martin Eisenstadt, a McCain policy adviser, had come forth and identified himself as the source of a FOX News Channel story saying Palin had mistakenly believed Africa was a country instead of a continent.
The hoax was limited to the identity of the source in the story about Palin -- not the FOX News story itself. While Palin has denied that she mistook Africa for a country, the veracity of that report was not put in question by the revelation that Eisenstadt is a phony.
http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/11...n-story-duped/

The SOURCE'S IDENTITY was the hoax, NOT THE STORY itself. There is still an actual source of the leak, who remains anonymous.

Say I had called up MSNBC and claimed to be the McCain advisor who leaked the Palin-Africa blunder last week, and then MSNBC reported such. If it was later discovered that I was not actually the anonymous source, and that I was never a McCain advisor to begin with, it would not, in and of itself, make the story about Palin's geographical gaffe false...it would only prove that I was not the anonymous source, and that MSNBC was wrong to report that I was the source, when the source is someone else entirely.

Get it?

Reading Comprehension Connection: Start a Sample Lesson!

Old 11-13-2008, 03:05 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,069,031 times
Read people..

the story is not a hoax.. the story that Martin Eisenstadt was the source.. is a hoax..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections