Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 12:13 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,635,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Sure lets get flights going to Cuba and while we are at it lets set up flights to North Korea and Iran.
There is no embargo against US citizens traveling to either of those countries, or any other beside Cuba. If you can get yourself a North Korean visa in Beijing, you can go without interference from the US Treasury Department. You could probably get a visa to Iran if you keep trying and go through an agency which facilitates that sort of thing. Again, there is no legal issue.

It's interesting how Cuba is the only nation on Earth where the US government tries to punish Americans who journey there. If that sort of policy worked, why hasn't it been emulated anywhere else? Banning travel to other nations is not something the developed world does anymore. In fact, at this point, it is almost exclusively a trait of dictatorships. Saudi Arabia bans its citizens from traveling to Israel, for instance. That sort of thing.

No; the travel embargo (technically an embargo against spending money in Cuba, but "spending" includes airplane landing fees and moorage fees for ships) was an act of revenge, not a logical element of policy.

But as others have noted, it is very easy to circumvent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 12:41 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,640,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
It's interesting how Cuba is the only nation on Earth where the US government tries to punish Americans who journey there.
We've punished citizens for going other places.

Check out Bobby Fischer's trials and tribulations over this issue. (No, I am not defending Fischer's opinions.)

Old 11-14-2008, 12:44 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
yeah, you can't deny some improvements made since Castro took power. Blacks are allowed in college, which was banned with Batista. Cuba's got a very high level of literacy, and its universities are at least more affordable than those in other Caribbean countries. Scientific research is far more advanced than others. I wish Cubans don't lose those rights when the dictatorship is over

All debatable.

However, suffice it to say that most countries accomplish all of that and more without enduring decades of forced labor, police brutality, one-man fascist rule, social apartheid, and widespread economic stagnation.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:47 PM

1,958 posts, read 2,495,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK2Westchester View Post
do you have a link to support that statement or are you just in classic Archie Bunker mode?
I doubt Archie cared about old cars, in fact I don't think he even owned one. Oh that's right, ANYTHING is racist to you when it comes from a higher life form.

Truth is, they have a wealth of old clunkers that would be worth a fortune to the right people of talent.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:52 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,692,731 times
I think the main factor regarding this policy towards Cuba was the Cuban-American community in South Florida. As the Sunshine State belongs to those so-called swing ones, pandering to those Cubans was unavoidable if the Candidate wanted to win the election. Now that the more conservative hardcore anti-Castro people are either dead or very old and the younger generations vote with other things in mind, the whole situation will change. 50 years of dictatorhip on one side and foolish and failed policies on the other need to come to an end that will benefit both countries.

Man, Cubans are really nice people. I remember wandering alone by Havana streets and didn't feel threatened at all. Try to do so in Santo Domingo or Kingston, and certain neighborhoods will scare the sh*t out of you.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:54 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,764,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Cuba was a major tourism (read gambling and mob run mecca) before Castro came along. Aren't we the only country that doesn't allow it's citizens to travel there? Cuba doesn't need our travel dollars, but I'm sure they wouldn't mind having them.

I'm glad you enjoyed your time in Cuba. I'd love to go.

I have been there too, by boat and by plane, as recently as last march. They are friendly there, the only ones you have to worry about are our own Homeland Security nazis. Once they have your passport, they can do anything they want in the name of "National Security", including making you disappear. Our policy in Cuba is retarded.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:02 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
We've punished citizens for going other places.

Check out Bobby Fischer's trials and tribulations over this issue. (No, I am not defending Fischer's opinions.)
Now wait, let's be fair. Fischer violated a United Nations embargo on (then) Yugoslavia.

That is a bit different than an American unilateral travel ban on its citizens traveling to Cuba.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:28 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,413,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Order View Post
Sure lets get flights going to Cuba and while we are at it lets set up flights to North Korea and Iran.

I know many Americans would love to spend summer vacations in Iran.

Improved relations are assured.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:37 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,309,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
not only cigars! Cuba produces the best rum in the world. However, barrels made out of tropical trees' wood are not suitable. The best is the one that comes from American oaks. As Cubans cannot purchase any good from the USA, Canadian companies buy American oaks for cheap, make the barrels and sell them to Cuba. Pretty pointless, uh
I had no idea. I know about the best rum but not about the barrels

Old 11-14-2008, 03:55 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
I have been there too, by boat and by plane, as recently as last march. They are friendly there, the only ones you have to worry about are our own Homeland Security nazis. Once they have your passport, they can do anything they want in the name of "National Security", including making you disappear. Our policy in Cuba is retarded.
I never thought we'd agree on anything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections