U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-15-2008, 11:53 AM
 
714 posts, read 1,018,485 times
Reputation: 212

Advertisements

Yeah....professors/liberals are good for recalling exact details of history (though likely distorted through liberal bias) but yet don't function very well without the hate they sling about how awful Americans are and how corrupted our gov. has been, but see here is the difference.....Republicans live in the now (with taking into account where we've been and what we've been through). Liberals argue about exact words, they sue people for upsetting them and hurting their feelings. Rupublicans are common sense people, who dont think that we live in an awful place...or that our gov. would try to kill us, or dream of a million conspiracy theorys. Republicans are the ones that can get things done instead of talking about them.

So......heres to the cheerleaders, the football players, the basketball players, the normal, the people who aren't misfits, the business people, the police, the military, the boaters, the people who like Amercia and are happy to live here, the people that don't think visiting "abroad" is the coolest thing ever, the people who don't give a damn about water boarding an admitted terrorist if it will save lives, the people who think life is not about reading a history book in a dirty old coffee shop is a way of life, the people who think they have a right to make their own rules, the people who think welfare is a helping hand-not a paycheck, the people who know that there are people in the world that don't want "to talk", the people who know why we are free-and what we had to do to be free, the people who know the term perserverance and not only the definition out of a text book-but what it means at the end of a long day, to the people who have big hearts- but expect that you help yourself as much as they help you, to the people that have a life outside of books, to the people who enjoying working out and being clean cut......

Here's to the RUPUBLICANS.....!!!!*****

Last edited by ttyl1979; 11-15-2008 at 12:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-15-2008, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Dorchester
2,602 posts, read 3,031,777 times
Reputation: 1060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I think you should respect a professor's point of view on subjects about which they know something. This means a biology professor's POV on stem-cell research, fruit-fly research, etc. is more valid than Sarah Palin's. A physics professor knows more about nuclear energy than Sarah Palin. Etc.
I respect everyone's opinion, none more than the other. I would not respect a biologists opinion on stem cell research any more than I respect anyone else's.
Professors should teach unbiased facts and let the receiver of those facts make up his/her own mind about how they feel about the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2008, 11:56 AM
 
3,288 posts, read 2,726,509 times
Reputation: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanieuk View Post
Yeah....professors/liberals are good for recalling exact details of history (though likely distorted through liberal bias) but yet don't function very well without the hate they sling about how awful Americans are and how corrupted our gov. has been, but see here is the difference.....Republicans live in the now (with taking into account where we've been and what we've been through). Liberals argue about exact words, they sue people for upsetting them and hurting their feelings. Rupublicans are common sense people, who dont think that we live in an awful place...or that our gov. would try to kill us, or dream of a million conspiracy theorys. Republicans are the ones that can get things done instead of talking about them.
Damn I never knew it. You're right all people who lean left (apparently 50%+ of the country) are horrible people whereas all conservatives are basically Yoda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2008, 12:02 PM
 
3,712 posts, read 4,171,645 times
Reputation: 1274
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanieuk View Post
Yeah....professors/liberals are good for recalling exact details of history (though likely distorted through liberal bias) but yet don't function very well without the hate they sling about how awful Americans are and how corrupted our gov. has been, but see here is the difference.....Republicans live in the now (with taking into account where we've been and what we've been through). Liberals argue about exact words, they sue people for upsetting them and hurting their feelings. Rupublicans are common sense people, who dont think that we live in an awful place...or that our gov. would try to kill us, or dream of a million conspiracy theorys. Republicans are the ones that can get things done instead of talking about them.

So......heres to the cheerleaders, the football players, the basketball players, the normal, the people who aren't misfits, the business people, the police, the military, the boaters, the people who like Amercia and are happy to live here, the people that don't think visiting "abroad" is the coolest thing ever, the people who don't give a damn about water boarding an admitted terrorist if it will save lifes, the people who think life is not about reading a history book in a dirty old coffee shop is a way of life, the people who think they have a right to make their own rules, the people who think welfare is a helping hand-not a paycheck, the people who know that there are people in the world that don't want "to talk", the people who know why we are free-and what we had to do to be free, the people who know the term perserverance and not only the definition out of a text book-but what it means at the end of a long day, to the people who have big hearts- but expect that you help yourself as much as they help you, to the people that have a life outside of books, to the people who enjoying working out and being clean cut......

Here's to the RUPUBLICANS.....!!!!*****
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2008, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Turn Left at Greenland
17,609 posts, read 25,321,845 times
Reputation: 7521
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Yes, only in America is being a Professor a bad thing. The World over if you are a professor, you are highly respected.

That's how bad it is here. ( And sign of a society/nation on the decline)

AM radio right wing hate talk provides the "thinking" for Millions of right wing lemmings.
I had a visiting professor in college who was an american ex-pat living in Sweden. Brilliant man ... before he became a scholar of Soviet History, he helped east germans escape after the wall went up. During one of his lectures, we asked him why he left America. He said (and this was in 1989), that America was anti-intellectual and he didn't want to be part of any culture that saw intelligence, scholarly curiosity and intellectualism as a threat to society.

I'll admit, at the time, I responded with a "how dare you" naivete that most in their early 20's would have. When I visited he and his wife's apartment in Stockholm a year later, I told him how right he was and he said that he knew I would understand eventually.
__________________
If there won't be dancing at the revolution, I'm not coming.
Emma Goldman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2008, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Turn Left at Greenland
17,609 posts, read 25,321,845 times
Reputation: 7521
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Now this is the most amazing thing...................who do you think has had control of the American education system that has produced all these unspeakably dumb people over the past several decades? Hint: it is not the conservatives. The liberals are mainly responsible for the trashing our once world class public education system with their harebrained schemes such as Whole Language, New Math, social promotions and dumping classes like Government and Civics in favor of Cultural Sensitivity and revisionist history. You want to know why so many people today have no clue about much of anything? Go look in the mirror.
And No Child Left Behind is a bastion of the intelligensia?????
__________________
If there won't be dancing at the revolution, I'm not coming.
Emma Goldman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2008, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Dorchester
2,602 posts, read 3,031,777 times
Reputation: 1060
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I had a visiting professor in college who was an american ex-pat living in Sweden. Brilliant man ... before he became a scholar of Soviet History, he helped east germans escape after the wall went up. During one of his lectures, we asked him why he left America. He said (and this was in 1989), that America was anti-intellectual and he didn't want to be part of any culture that saw intelligence, scholarly curiosity and intellectualism as a threat to society.

I'll admit, at the time, I responded with a "how dare you" naivete that most in their early 20's would have. When I visited he and his wife's apartment in Stockholm a year later, I told him how right he was and he said that he knew I would understand eventually.
What an utter bunch or horsesh-t!
He left because Ronald Reagan made him unhappy. That's it! I don't understand why you people do not see through the crap that these people spew.
Tell me Domergurl since you gained so much insight in one year, what was it that you saw in America that made you say "This country is so anti-intellectual"?
Did this professor tell you what it was that he experienced?
I didn't think so.

I wish now that I had studied to become a college professor. After all, what middle-aged man wouldn't want some cute little 20 year-old idealist to intellectually abuse. Assuming that's all he did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2008, 01:18 PM
 
Location: The Coldest Place
994 posts, read 947,877 times
Reputation: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Reading the above reminded me of my friend's daughter who just joined the Peace Corps. My friend's family is big in the Republican Party in Pueblo, CO, and my friend herself voted for McCain. Proving a couple of points here: Republicans join the Peace Corps, and Republicans and Democrats can be friends.
Yes. One of my best friends served in the Peace Corps. His entire family are wealthy and hold "high positions" in society, and they are all conservative. Know something funny? Each one of the kids, including my friend, were urged by their parents to serve in the Corps. My friend did, and is now a very wealthy exec for AMEX. He RAVES about his experiences in the Corps, and he also learned a second language, among many other things.

I can only believe that some conservatives truly are anti-intellectual, if they are anti Peace Corps.

I think they hear the word "peace" and have a Pavlovian reaction, and shadows of "commies" slip across the walls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2008, 01:26 PM
 
Location: The Coldest Place
994 posts, read 947,877 times
Reputation: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
What an utter bunch or horsesh-t!
He left because Ronald Reagan made him unhappy. That's it! I don't understand why you people do not see through the crap that these people spew.
Tell me Domergurl since you gained so much insight in one year, what was it that you saw in America that made you say "This country is so anti-intellectual"?
Did this professor tell you what it was that he experienced?
I didn't think so.

I wish now that I had studied to become a college professor. After all, what middle-aged man wouldn't want some cute little 20 year-old idealist to intellectually abuse. Assuming that's all he did.
Thanks for saving us time by perfectly illustrating anti-intellectualism with this post.

You just went off the deep-end, and and started accusing this professor and Domergurl of ridiculous things.

Smells EXACTLY like FEAR to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2008, 01:31 PM
 
Location: Turn Left at Greenland
17,609 posts, read 25,321,845 times
Reputation: 7521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guero View Post
Thanks for saving us time by perfectly illustrating anti-intellectualism with this post.

You just went off the deep-end, and and started accusing this professor and Domergurl of ridiculous things.

Smells EXACTLY like FEAR to me.
Thanks ... saved me from typing what you typed!

BTW, the professor of which I speak left in 1964.

Tim Pawlenty, in a roundabout way, without invoking his name, stated that in order for the GOP to get back on track, they need to get over Ronald Reagan ... wow, I actually had to give him props for having the pair to do that. He's right.

This GOP is not the GOP of Teddy Roosevelt OR Abraham Lincoln.
__________________
If there won't be dancing at the revolution, I'm not coming.
Emma Goldman

Last edited by domergurl; 11-15-2008 at 01:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:18 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top