Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 11:41 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/15/us...ss&oref=slogin
Some Former Lobbyists Have Key Roles in Obama Transition

Quote:
Barack Obama campaigned on a pledge to change Washington, vowing to upend the K Street lobbying culture he encountered when he joined the U.S. Senate.

But more than a dozen members of President-elect Obama's fast-growing transition team have worked as federally registered lobbyists within the past four years. They include former lobbyists for the nation's trial lawyers association, mortgage giant Fannie Mae, drug companies such as Amgen, high-tech firms such as Microsoft, labor unions and the liberal advocacy group Center for American Progress.
No! It can't be! You mean bambi didn't really mean it when he said he would change the way DC works?

I'm shocked! What about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 01:03 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,182,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
you're shocked because you're ignorant.

"Mr. Obama has imposed rules that bar officials on his transition team from handling any issues in areas of policy where they have lobbied over the last 12 months or from seeking to influence the same agencies for the next 12 months.

The rules also bar officials from working on matters where family members or recent business associates may have a direct conflict of interest. In cases where there is even an “appearance of conflict,” officials must seek a waiver from the transition’s executive director, an Obama Senate aide and law school classmate, Christopher Lu."

“While these rules disqualify many well-qualified professionals from participating in the transition as a result, they also put in place the right safeguards to prevent any potential conflicts of interest,”

Old 11-15-2008, 01:47 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,408,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK2Westchester View Post
you're shocked because you're ignorant.

"Mr. Obama has imposed rules that bar officials on his transition team from handling any issues in areas of policy where they have lobbied over the last 12 months or from seeking to influence the same agencies for the next 12 months.

The rules also bar officials from working on matters where family members or recent business associates may have a direct conflict of interest. In cases where there is even an “appearance of conflict,” officials must seek a waiver from the transition’s executive director, an Obama Senate aide and law school classmate, Christopher Lu."

“While these rules disqualify many well-qualified professionals from participating in the transition as a result, they also put in place the right safeguards to prevent any potential conflicts of interest,”
Great post!

Old 11-15-2008, 01:58 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,324 times
Quote:

No! It can't be! You mean bambi didn't really mean it when he said he would change the way DC works?

Just more of the same. I feel sorry for the sheep that voted for him and can only now see the truth. Wake up people you have been duped. When will people see through this 2 party system? You all need to open your eyes. It is a shame.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:03 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,182,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Just more of the same. I feel sorry for the sheep that voted for him and can only now see the truth. Wake up people you have been duped. When will people see through this 2 party system? You all need to open your eyes. It is a shame.
did you even read the article?

You have some nerve calling anyone a sheep when you obviously didnt look into it yourself.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:16 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK2Westchester View Post
did you even read the article?

You have some nerve calling anyone a sheep when you obviously didnt look into it yourself.
You are a classic example of one of the sheep. You vote for a person without a clue about what is going on. I am sorry that you don't see it but that is why sheep need a Sheperd that are too dumb. I know Obama's associations, I see his choices, I know his plans. BTW, I was not a McCain supporter and not one of the little sheep in this election. I am far too smart to be fooled by a corrupt politician whether he/she be a Democrat or Republican.

Enjoy being part of the flock. Close you eyes and just go for the ride.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:22 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,413,010 times
Quote:

Well, it certainly doesn't matter much to your typical ADD liberal. Despite the chant for CHANGE, it looks like the anointed one will be drawing much of his staff from the old Clinton administration to begin with, then they'll have to be accepting of the fact that the promised tax cuts for the hoi polloi aren't going to be happening either.

Am I shocked? Heck no. Did I ever meet a Democrat who didn't deceive? No to that too.

You just have to laugh at how stupid most of the leftist voters were in this last election — and how stupid they'll be in upcoming elections as well.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:15 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,477,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
You are a classic example of one of the sheep. You vote for a person without a clue about what is going on. I am sorry that you don't see it but that is why sheep need a Sheperd that are too dumb. I know Obama's associations, I see his choices, I know his plans. BTW, I was not a McCain supporter and not one of the little sheep in this election. I am far too smart to be fooled by a corrupt politician whether he/she be a Democrat or Republican.

Enjoy being part of the flock. Close you eyes and just go for the ride.
You're one of those all around haters. I chose no leader so I can never be wrong. You and the Jmarquis character are so annoying with that. It's like McCain never offering an economic plan so noboby could critisize it..

Old 11-15-2008, 03:19 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,477,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
Well, it certainly doesn't matter much to your typical ADD liberal. Despite the chant for CHANGE, it looks like the anointed one will be drawing much of his staff from the old Clinton administration to begin with, then they'll have to be accepting of the fact that the promised tax cuts for the hoi polloi aren't going to be happening either.

Am I shocked? Heck no. Did I ever meet a Democrat who didn't deceive? No to that too.

You just have to laugh at how stupid most of the leftist voters were in this last election — and how stupid they'll be in upcoming elections as well.
If Obama were to pick only people from Chicago or very left Dems or people with two ears, you folks would cry about it. Change comes from the top and that's where Obama is. He has and will continue to set the tone for change. As I recall it, we were peaceful and prosperous under Clinton. It's smart to pick the best and brightest amongst who is out there. Not former Arabian Horseshow judges to run FEMA!!

Old 11-15-2008, 03:57 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
So much for the "new" kind of politics. He's staffing his administration with Clinton retreads, chicago thugs and the insipid lobbyists who corrupt the system. Hopenchange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections