Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2008, 10:16 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,140,689 times

Advertisements

If McCain was joking about the 5 million dollar limit to the middle class then it was just as tasteless and disgusting as bush's remark about his base, "the haves and have mores".

In this economy where hard working people are struggling...it was quite a nasty joke....it wasn't funny...shows lack of true values and disdain for the average American.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:20 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,844,917 times
yes, hard working people are struggling. they are having a hard time paying the bills they ran up buying things they couldn't afford. if they aren't careful, their high speed internet, blackberry, and NFL package for the dish network might all be canceled! my god! what will the cold hearted take from the hard working struggling people next? starbucks???? oh the humanity!!!!! they won't be able to shop at baby gap for clothes??????!!!!!! OMG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
If McCain was joking about the 5 million dollar limit to the middle class then it was just as tasteless and disgusting as bush's remark about his base, "the haves and have mores".

In this economy where hard working people are struggling...it was quite a nasty joke....it wasn't funny...shows lack of true values and disdain for the average American.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:22 AM

2,794 posts, read 4,154,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
HIs grandparents both had menial jobs and no connections. You're the one who makes up stories. As I said in another post, "You need to study up." Inventing doesn't make it so, no matter how arduous your attempts.
Wasn't his Grandpa a life insurance salesman? I forget what Grandma did. Doesn't seem very "elite" to me! And I remember Michelle's speech at the DNC,about her Dad who suffered from MS,yet somehow managed to get up & go to work every day. MUCH different childhood than Bush & McCain.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:24 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,819,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
Are you trying to say that he was being facetious when he made the $5M comment? I only ask because 'factious' means 'dissentious' which doesn't fit your argument, and I'm trying to understand what the H you're talking about.
Thank you for correcting my spelling -- I actually knew it didn't look right and did an on-line spell check, but for some reason the computer failed me!!

That brings up an interesting point though regarding spoken and written grammar. I have heard it said that written grammar is the product of education (ie., Harvard, Yale etc.) whereas spoken grammar is learned at your mothers knee. Just something to think about.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:32 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,690,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
Wasn't his Grandpa a life insurance salesman? I forget what Grandma did. Doesn't seem very "elite" to me! And I remember Michelle's speech at the DNC,about her Dad who suffered from MS,yet somehow managed to get up & go to work every day. MUCH different childhood than Bush & McCain.
Not sure about his grandfather, but, I believe I read that his grandmother started out in a clerical position at a bank and worked her way up to VP.
Wonderful role models on both sides of their families.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post

OH PLEASE!!!!!!! Just admit that you didn't like McCain. Were you even watching when he made the comment or did you just let other Obamatron tell you what to think! As I stated earlier, I was not a fan of either Obama or McCain but it is nutcases like you who would turn me against Obama.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:35 AM

1,966 posts, read 2,702,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
yes, hard working people are struggling. they are having a hard time paying the bills they ran up buying things they couldn't afford. if they aren't careful, their high speed internet, blackberry, and NFL package for the dish network might all be canceled! my god! what will the cold hearted take from the hard working struggling people next? starbucks???? oh the humanity!!!!! they won't be able to shop at baby gap for clothes??????!!!!!! OMG!
Hmmm...I may be going out on a limb here, but I'd venture to guess that all those factory workers in Michigan and Ohio, who've been laid off through no fault of their own in recent months, are worried less about losing their (most likely non-existent) satellite packages and gourmet coffee fixes, and are more worried about how to explain to their children that Christmas will suck this year (no, Santa's not skipping their house because they were bad kids), while at the same time, worrying about how to pay next month's heating bill and how to provide three squares a day for their children over the coming months, until they're able to find new, gainful employment.

Grow up and learn to be just a little compassionate, will ya? Or, if you can't handle that, maybe you could give *some* people the benefit of the doubt, and not assume that everyone's financial worries of late are limited to losing mall-shopping privileges and other non-essential indulgences.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:36 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,438,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
My favorite part was when she was making fun of his bachelor pad apartment in DC.
I thought it was a good interview, but this part bugged me for some reason. Maybe I am being picky, but there are people who have to live in that "dump" she referred to. If I were one of them, I think I might have been offended by that comment.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:38 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,834,667 times
Regardless of the true meaning behind McCain's $5million joke, I was more troubled by the fact that he did not know how many houses he owned.

Definitely not middle class in my humble opinion.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
By the way, when I first referenced the $5M McCain remark a few posts ago, I was mentioning it in jest, to irk a poster who was insisting that the Obamas do not have middle class roots. I doubt anyone "lacks the intelligence to understand" the comment McCain made regarding the upper-limit income of a middle class person. But, go ahead and bash other posters and bask in your apparent delusions of grandeur and intelligence.
WHOA ........... It wasn't you who said that his obviously joking remark made you realize "how out of touch McCain was". Why are you jumping on my case for pointing out that it was a joke as you apparently understood. The poster in question has since admitted that she did not see McCain make the comment but let others tell her what to think!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.