Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 09:42 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Yes, my doctor has told me to forget about it. *sigh*. Oh well, I'll still have a comfy view from my living room couch.

I understand the whistle stop tour is going to attract crowds in each city along the way--the hope is that many of the people who had planned to go to DC will head to these little towns instead. Same basic effect, same historic occassion, maybe even a better chance to actually see a few people if you go to one of the stops along the way.
I don't think the atmosphere will be the same though. Being in DC, in that crowd at the very moment Obama is sworn in can't be matched. Well, at least I think it can't be matched.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 10:37 AM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
That's uncalled for ... I pray that the weather would be calm so people can enjoy this event.
Amen. We've a new 50-inch TV on which to watch it. A great day for us all, no matter what side of the aisle we prefer.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:54 AM

I would not worry about the crowds. Newer estimates reduce the estimated crowd at about 2 million people.

The authorities in DC are used to handling massive crowds, the usual 4th of July festivities on the Mall routinely generates a crowd of a million, and there is little use of buses for those crowds. There will be plenty of first aid, ambulances, police, mounted police, motorcycle police, foot police, bicycle police, secret service, military personnel and thousands of other security people on hand to cover the area. All police and fire departments in the area chip in to help. The subway system might run wide open without collecting any fares, which slows down access/egress. I lived in that area for 30 years. These guys are GOOD.

If they do get 10,000 buses, that's 450,000 people right there who will be in/out without straining the subway system. The subway system will be able to handle much of the crowd, though there will be waiting times at key stations after the event.

The Mall is 1.9 miles long from the Capital to the Washington Monument, I'm sure that 2 million people will fit just fine. It's going to be one hell of a great day.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:02 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
While I am happy Obama won, being in DC at the inauguration (or anywhere else) with all those people is my idea of hell.
I'm sure I'll be more comfortable and see more watching it on TV at home...I think too much is made of it anyway...Obama was elected (THAT was the big important part), he will be president ....Americans are still too much in love with "Entertainment".

Old 12-27-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
While I am happy Obama won, being in DC at the inauguration (or anywhere else) with all those people is my idea of hell.
I'm sure I'll be more comfortable and see more watching it on TV at home...I think too much is made of it anyway...Obama was elected (THAT was the big important part), he will be president ....Americans are still too much in love with "Entertainment".
I'm another one who gets antsy in crowds, the sense that there's little control or order. I'm okay in a stadium. One thing that bugs me greatly about crowds is the stupid behavior of so many people, the callous discarding of trash on the ground, disregard for orderly behavior. We've a new 50-inch TV and I'll be watching the inauguration on that all day long... ten steps from MY OWN restroom, fridge and coffee pot.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:44 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,145,451 times
I would love to go, but at my age, TV is the ideal way to attend! I had an opportunity to attend the Cotton Bowl, and after much deliberation, decided I would rather watch it from the comfort of my living room also. Crowds are for younger people, not this old guy. I am like Mike, being a few steps from my own restroom, coffee pot, and kitchen are all I need....

Old 12-28-2008, 08:17 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
I would love to go, but at my age, TV is the ideal way to attend! I had an opportunity to attend the Cotton Bowl, and after much deliberation, decided I would rather watch it from the comfort of my living room also. Crowds are for younger people, not this old guy. I am like Mike, being a few steps from my own restroom, coffee pot, and kitchen are all I need....
If you want to stay home but do a little more than just watch a speech on tv, you can do what my neighborhood is doing--hold your own inaugural ball.

Why not? Who says balls are just for embassies?

Even if you're not excited about politics, it's still an excuse to dress up and hold a party in the middle of bleak winter. And for the ladies in my neighborhood it's also an excuse to finally wear those old bridesmaid dresses.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:24 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I would not worry about the crowds. Newer estimates reduce the estimated crowd at about 2 million people.

The authorities in DC are used to handling massive crowds, the usual 4th of July festivities on the Mall routinely generates a crowd of a million, and there is little use of buses for those crowds. There will be plenty of first aid, ambulances, police, mounted police, motorcycle police, foot police, bicycle police, secret service, military personnel and thousands of other security people on hand to cover the area. All police and fire departments in the area chip in to help. The subway system might run wide open without collecting any fares, which slows down access/egress. I lived in that area for 30 years. These guys are GOOD.

If they do get 10,000 buses, that's 450,000 people right there who will be in/out without straining the subway system. The subway system will be able to handle much of the crowd, though there will be waiting times at key stations after the event.

The Mall is 1.9 miles long from the Capital to the Washington Monument, I'm sure that 2 million people will fit just fine. It's going to be one hell of a great day.
That'd be great if Metro doesn't charge for subway fares for the day. Have they ever done something like that before?

Old 01-02-2009, 08:06 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,145,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
If you want to stay home but do a little more than just watch a speech on tv, you can do what my neighborhood is doing--hold your own inaugural ball.

Why not? Who says balls are just for embassies?

Even if you're not excited about politics, it's still an excuse to dress up and hold a party in the middle of bleak winter. And for the ladies in my neighborhood it's also an excuse to finally wear those old bridesmaid dresses.
Thanks! We are going to do it!

Old 01-04-2009, 12:49 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,120,095 times
Folks, we are mere weeks away from one of the greatest moments in United States history.....
I have to thank Bush, he did one thing right.....He gave birth to the rise of Barack Obama & this new age of leadership that we will all benefit from in the coming years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections