U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 07:28 AM

23,083 posts, read 18,072,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Just listened to most of the interview by Terri Gross. Ayers is an impressive guy. I would say his activities taken to stop the Vietnam War were heroic. He's an intelligent, compassionate, and interesting man.

The extreme right should be doubly ashamed of itself. First, for having demonized the man. And second for having tried to tar Obama by his very remote relationship with the man, and for practicing disgusting Swiftboat tactics in order to win.

I sincerely hope we get a decent GOP out of this election.
Told you folks he was an American Hero to many and helped deliver some older voters to Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 09:25 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,805,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
No, you don't. Unless you jump into a discussion and want your opinion to be taken seriously.

I did not jump into anything. I stated my opinions not facts. I "feel" the man is a psychopath and a narcissist, I base my "opinion" on what I have seen and heard from him. The man denies that people died, he is delusional. This is my "opinion" again you can take it or leave it.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:37 PM

5,263 posts, read 4,227,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
I did not jump into anything. I stated my opinions not facts. I "feel" the man is a psychopath and a narcissist, I base my "opinion" on what I have seen and heard from him. The man denies that people died, he is delusional. This is my "opinion" again you can take it or leave it.
Ayers does not deny that 3 members of his Weather Underground group were killed when a bomb they were making accidentally exploded. One of these 3 members was his girlfriend.

Other than these 3 members of the Weather Underground, please provide the names of anyone else who died as a result of the Weather Underground's actions?

Old 11-22-2008, 06:40 PM

19,556 posts, read 10,286,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Ayers does not deny that 3 members of his Weather Underground group were killed when a bomb they were making accidentally exploded. One of these 3 members was his girlfriend.

Other than these 3 members of the Weather Underground, please provide the names of anyone else who died as a result of the Weather Underground's actions?
So they intended to search the targets for any persons within before detonating the bombs?
Perhaps call in a bomb threat to ensure the buildings were evacuated?
WE never intended for anyone to get hurt. Thats about what bank robbers say after the robbery goes wrong isn't it?
Isn't that what Israel says after launching a few hellfire missiles into a so called bomb making facility?
You miss my point. They were using explosives to make a point. They may have hoped for no casualties but no way could they guarantee no casualties. They had to know this up front and I for one am glad that 1 blew up in their faces. Unfortunately Ayers escaped. No way would I want an individual like him having any input to my childs development. Sort of reminds me of when we allowed Arafat into our white house. He only targeted unarmed women and children to protest Israels occupation of Palestine. Real sweet guy. Nobel winner besides. That totally discredits the peace prize.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:33 PM

67,431 posts, read 55,146,423 times
I cannot support terrorism. I can't excuse Ayers' actions by saying the Viet Nam was was bad, immoral, or anything else. However, I do believe in forgiveness.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
So they intended to search the targets for any persons within before detonating the bombs?
Perhaps call in a bomb threat to ensure the buildings were evacuated?
WE never intended for anyone to get hurt. Thats about what bank robbers say after the robbery goes wrong isn't it?
Isn't that what Israel says after launching a few hellfire missiles into a so called bomb making facility?
You miss my point. They were using explosives to make a point. They may have hoped for no casualties but no way could they guarantee no casualties. They had to know this up front and I for one am glad that 1 blew up in their faces. Unfortunately Ayers escaped. No way would I want an individual like him having any input to my childs development. Sort of reminds me of when we allowed Arafat into our white house. He only targeted unarmed women and children to protest Israels occupation of Palestine. Real sweet guy. Nobel winner besides. That totally discredits the peace prize.
My above response was to dcadca's comment.

How could I be missing your point?

Try listening to the Ayers Interview ... it may shed a new light on your opinion of Ayers. Or maybe it won't?

Old 11-22-2008, 11:23 PM

442 posts, read 510,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
My above response was to dcadca's comment.

How could I be missing your point?

Try listening to the Ayers Interview ... it may shed a new light on your opinion of Ayers. Or maybe it won't?
Bill Ayers' words will not change my opinion of the man, RD5050.

His deeds could very well correct any assumptions I might have held against him; he has instead shown us that he has not advanced in maturity or reason by denying the deaths and injuries of police officers that his "little" group caused, their suffering and their family's distress, and his utter remorselessness in the face of these crimes. One would think that age would temper Ayers' judgment but he is a delusional creep and deserves nothing short of being thrown out of this country. We did not die in Iwo Jima and Valley Forge so this degenerate could vent his rage by killing our Bravest.

Last edited by SuperIncumbent; 11-22-2008 at 11:45 PM..

Old 11-23-2008, 06:38 PM

Here's a little info which may help inform those who refuse to listen to the Ayers interview:

Weatherman (organization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Quote:
In his 2001 book about his Weatherman experiences, Bill Ayers stated his objection to describing the WUO (Weather Underground Organization) as "terrorist". Ayers wrote: "Terrorists terrorize, they kill innocent civilians, while we organized and agitated. Terrorists destroy randomly, while our actions bore, we hoped, the precise stamp of a cut diamond. Terrorists intimidate, while we aimed only to educate. No, we're not terrorists."[50] Dan Berger, in his book about the Weatherman, Outlaws in America, comments that the group "purposefully and successfully avoided injuring anyone... Its war against property by definition means that the WUO was not a terrorist organization."
I still think Ayers should have served time in jail for his illegal actions, but he was just one of thousands (millions?) who were protesting against the Vietnam War. That was the state of the country at that time, and he was a part of the protest.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:52 PM
LML

7,073 posts, read 5,056,801 times
The amount of lies and misinformation that was coming FROM the government....especially the FBI .. at that time has made it impossible for me to take as truth any of the accusations that were leveled against the various groups that were involved in protest and attempts to obtain civil rights or end the war. I can't believe that anyone who was alive and aware during the 50s-70s can ever believe anything you were told by these sources. I could sit here and give you a list as long as your arm of the actual MURDERS done by the FBI and various local law enforcement groups. Do none of you remember or have you all just chosen to forget/

Old 11-23-2008, 09:38 PM

5,032 posts, read 3,565,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
The amount of lies and misinformation that was coming FROM the government....especially the FBI .. at that time has made it impossible for me to take as truth any of the accusations that were leveled against the various groups that were involved in protest and attempts to obtain civil rights or end the war. I can't believe that anyone who was alive and aware during the 50s-70s can ever believe anything you were told by these sources. I could sit here and give you a list as long as your arm of the actual MURDERS done by the FBI and various local law enforcement groups. Do none of you remember or have you all just chosen to forget/
Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections