Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 11:16 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
Being smart is getting in the face of those who seem genetically pre-dispositioned to hate our first black president and only want him to fail - nothing more...

All politicians break or stretch campaign promises - Obama has a lot more sound reason to do so than any president in my lifetime - because of the historical financial mess the Republicans have created - so I don't care if he has to go back on some campaign promises if he has a valid reason to do so...

Firmly holding someone to all their campaign promises in light of a radically escalating financial meltdown they are inheriting is definitely not smart...

If the Bush supporters and Republican Congress had only questioned the current administration - we wouldn't even be having this conversation...
Here we go with the racist thing again.

And if that doesn't work, you try the "all politicians break campaign promises." I thought obama was supposed to be different. I thought he was about change.

So why should we even listen to campaign promises if they mean nothing anyway? Why was Obama elected based on those promises if it's now okay for him to go back on his promises? How lame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 11:17 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paullySC View Post
Being smart is paying attention to what the administration does and questioning its moves.

Not caring if he breaks or modifies all his promises is not being very smart.
I think you would be hard pressed to fine an Obama supporter more dedicated to his election on this board than me. And, I have no problem with paying attention to who makes up his administration and ultimately what that administration does. But having said that, all I can see in the current round of sniping is either the harding of the truly naive, folks who paid absolutely no attention to the campaign, or the willfully stupid.

1. When it comes to finding competent Democratic candidates for top level positions, the only group that has had any chance of gaining such experience were those who served under Clinton. The next set of Democrats would have to drawn from the Carter Administration, if they are still alive.

2. Anyone who paid attention during the early days of the elections would recognize the large number of former Clinton appointees who supported the Obama campaign. They may have been Clinton employees but they were some of the first to get behind Obama's message.

3. Obama sets the tone and direction, whether his appointees are former Clinton staffers, or Bush appointees (as you know some are being inserted throughout the government through civil service) they will have to march to the drum beat of the POTUS.

PS - I'm not thrilled about Hillary as Sec of State, I doubt that I will be thrilled about everything that Obama does, but the devil isn't in the details and appointments are details.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:29 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Truly. Just takes lotsa backing and planning behind the scenes by the leftist/marxist millionaires who picked him as their puppet.
Leftist/marxist millionaires in Chicago? Have you even been there? It's blue-collar Democrat!

Old 11-20-2008, 11:42 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,583,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post

And if that doesn't work, you try the "all politicians break campaign promises." I thought obama was supposed to be different. I thought he was about change.

So why should we even listen to campaign promises if they mean nothing anyway? Why was Obama elected based on those promises if it's now okay for him to go back on his promises? How lame.
Funny Luzianne that racism came to your mind so quickly!!

I didn't mention anything about it in my post... where exactly do you see it???

And maybe you should NEVER EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE WHATSOEVER EVER LISTEN TO A CAMPAIGN PROMISE.... you seem like you have a very very rough time adapting to change...

Old 11-20-2008, 11:44 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,783 times
Hum.....how to inject some reason into an emotional situation...............

My guy didn't win. I didn't like the politics of the guy who did win. I still don't. That being said. I didn't like some of the politics of the guy who didn't win nor do I like most of the politics of the guy who is the current won.

Now lets get on with it and as time goes by we will all of us begin to discuss aspects of the new administration, both good and bad, that we do or don't like. With some of the people our new pres has appointed I am going hum, good choice and with some of them I am going hum, not sure about that......................The election is over, the bitterness and rancor should be set aside and the new guy given a fair shot at it...............only after he steps on his pud numerous times should we then begin the process for electoral dissection. I do accept the fact he will make some mistakes and I also accept the fact he will make some excellent decisions. I dont know if he will be a good president as do any of you...........only time will tell on that comment. In the mean time, I have decided to just step back, take a deep breath and watch the action. Do remember, the President can only do what the courts, the senate, the house, and the people let him do. I am willing to be patient. Are you?

Old 11-20-2008, 11:52 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,583,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
Hum.....how to inject some reason into an emotional situation...............

My guy didn't win. I didn't like the politics of the guy who did win. I still don't. That being said. I didn't like some of the politics of the guy who didn't win nor do I like most of the politics of the guy who is the current won.

Now lets get on with it and as time goes by we will all of us begin to discuss aspects of the new administration, both good and bad, that we do or don't like. With some of the people our new pres has appointed I am going hum, good choice and with some of them I am going hum, not sure about that......................The election is over, the bitterness and rancor should be set aside and the new guy given a fair shot at it...............only after he steps on his pud numerous times should we then begin the process for electoral dissection. I do accept the fact he will make some mistakes and I also accept the fact he will make some excellent decisions. I dont know if he will be a good president as do any of you...........only time will tell on that comment. In the mean time, I have decided to just step back, take a deep breath and watch the action. Do remember, the President can only do what the courts, the senate, the house, and the people let him do. I am willing to be patient. Are you?
I am absolutely going to be understanding and respectful and would be willing to debate politics calmly with someone like yourself... You are a very reasonable person- whom I presume was a McCain supporter - but who has the interest of the country above that of his/her candidate - as it always should be...

I do have a short fuse though with those who can only see black or white - they can't understand shades of gray. (Believe it or not - I know at least one poster out there who is going to read my prior sentence and will accuse me of playing the race card..)

Old 11-20-2008, 12:08 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
Quote:
Funny Luzianne that racism came to your mind so quickly!!

I didn't mention anything about it in my post... where exactly do you see it???

And maybe you should NEVER EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE WHATSOEVER EVER LISTEN TO A CAMPAIGN PROMISE.... you seem like you have a very very rough time adapting to change...
Racism came to my mind because YOU brought it up. You said, and I quote: "Being smart is getting in the face of those who seem genetically pre-dispositioned to hate our first black president and only want him to fail."

Old 11-20-2008, 12:24 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,408,610 times
Quote:
I am absolutely going to be understanding and respectful and would be willing to debate politics calmly with someone like yourself... You are a very reasonable person- whom I presume was a McCain supporter - but who has the interest of the country above that of his/her candidate - as it always should be...

I do have a short fuse though with those who can only see black or white - they can't understand shades of gray. (Believe it or not - I know at least one poster out there who is going to read my prior sentence and will accuse me of playing the race card..)
ITA. Convert 54 is always a scholar and a gentlemen. That being said, the incessant whining and childish insults being hurled at Obama and anyone who has a positive comment about him will never end. Many are simpy racists who cannot stand the possibility that a black man just may end up being the best POTUS in its history. Others will forever remain convinced that one political party is superior to the other.

They will spend the next 4 years hurling juvenile insults at strangers on a message board. The fact that those of us who never voted for Bush have spent the last 8 years in the silence of a myriad of nefarious acts, including but not limited to: sensorship, civil and constitutional rights being rescinded, watching trillions of tax dollars being spent in the name of invading a sovereign nation for oil; theft by deception; fraud, waste and abuse; the collapse of our economy, the secret formation/attempted completion of the NAU and trade deals; numerous FDA failures; unsecured borders 8 years after 9-11, our collapsing economy, the illegal firing of a staff of US attorneys because of democratic political affiliations, the jailing of innocent border patrol officers, globally witnessed embarrassment, incompetence and blissful ignorance, somehow escapes them.

Last edited by JDubsMom; 11-20-2008 at 12:35 PM..

Old 11-20-2008, 01:01 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,477,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Keep in mind that none of the die hard Obama supporters ever believed his promises. They just played along so that they could sucker as many independents and Acorn registered street people with no knowledge so that they could help Obama win. Now that he has won, most of them hope he was lying about being bipartisan and working with everybody. They want him to swerve as far left as possible as quickly as possible. That is why you won't see them bothered by Obama's lies. They were hoping he was lying anyway and that he would turn out as far left as his voting records and associations have shown him to be.
LOL..This is partly true..but funny when Bush did the same thing but went so far right that he put the country on it's asse. Obama is MUCH smarter than that. People seem to forget that being bi-partisan goes two ways. The republican minority(I love saying that) has to be willing to swallow it's pride and reach across the aisle as well. All I hear repubs doing is calling for fillabusters..or what I like to call tempertantrums when spoiled brats don't get there way. As far as Obama lying. There's been no lying..times change and a leader has to change with them. Obama will change and adapt as he sees fit. Every one of his moves during a 2 year campaign which ended campaigns for the Clinton machine and a career serviceman/congressman have been perfect. You can doubt him but I wont until he starts losing.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:14 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,477,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post

Did Bush promise to rape the constitution, spy on U.S. citizens, start an unjustified war, appoint an administration full of unqualified croonies, discourage diplomacy, wreck the economy, give tax breaks to his oil buddies, leave a city of people helpless during a natrual disaster, make an utter fool of himself by continuing to read to gradeschoolers after being told his country was under attack? The answer, NO, but he did all of the above. He in fact promised to do the excat opposite of everything above but violently and recklessly broke those promises. I trust that if and when Obama has to back away from a campaign promise it will be in the better interest of the country not to its detrement. Just because the change he promised doesn't fit what you view as change doesn't mean anything. You probably voted for Bush 2x so why would your opinion matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections