Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 05:02 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,015,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post
I disagree about Laura Bush. I think she brought a gentleness that was desperately needed in the White House since the president turned out to be a bit of a warmonger. She didn't say much but what she did say was intelligent and relevant.
I agree.
I heard plenty of infidelity rumors about George Bush Sr, but none about W.
Quote:
As for Michelle and her comments about being proud, I can honestly say that Obama's election has made me more proud to be an American than I ever have been. I don't believe saying that means I am or was not patriotic. But there are events- history making events- that make us all proud of our country. I think her words were misunderstood.
I completely agree.
This might sound simplistic, but I think some folks look at Michelle Obama's face and interpret the natural repose of her strong features as angry.
She's not. She's tough, though.
She's had to work very hard to get to where she got in life, quite probably harder than many of us.
I hope she does get some advice from Ms Carter and anyone else who offers it, but I have a feeling she's accustomed to blazing new territory. With people taking one look at her and assuming she's angry, she's got her work cut out for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2008, 11:07 AM

355 posts, read 555,097 times
Laura Bush spoke up a few times early on and was roundly put down. She kind of turned into a Stepford wife after that.

I don't know if Michelle is angry or not; if she is so what? If she is angry maybe she needs to be. There is a lot to be angry about right now.

Why does she have to diminish herself to fit into someone else's idea of femininity? We need a strong president right now. It doesn't hurt to have a strong capable first lady as well. Classy lady and warrior woman are not mutually exclusive terms. She strikes me as both.

I would love to see her take an interest in women's rights worldwide. We should all be angry at the fact that women, including young girls, are still being stoned and buried alive in some parts of the world for being victims of an attack, or just daring to speak out against a forced marriage. In Afghanistan two girls were blinded recently by acid thrown on them just for walking to school. OMG

So called “women’s” issues aren’t just about cooking and cleaning. Women in this country are struggling. We need an advocate. Women in some parts of the world aren't just struggling, they are dying. They need her too.

I hope she doesn’t bury her strength like Laura did.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 11-23-2008, 11:24 AM

1,679 posts, read 2,542,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Laura Bush was a nice, classy lady.

Michelle seems like she's really angry about something.
Yes! All black women are angry (LOL)!! Talk about myths vs. facts.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:28 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,482,221 times
[quote=TeamFoster;6281693]Laura Bush spoke up a few times early on and was roundly put down. She kind of turned into a Stepford wife after that.

Mrs. Bush supported improvements for women in Afghanistan>>>
Laura Bush Meets Afghan Women, Five-Hour Visit Also Includes Stops With Karzai, U.S. Troops - CBS News

{I don't know if Michelle is angry or not; if she is so what? If she is angry maybe she needs to be. There is a lot to be angry about right now.

Why does she have to diminish herself to fit into someone else's idea of femininity? We need a strong president right now. It doesn't hurt to have a strong capable first lady as well. Classy lady and warrior woman are not mutually exclusive terms. She strikes me as both. }

~~

I don't want Michelle to be angry with me. This seems to be something of a 'Generational Stereotype', imo.

I admire Condeleeza Rice and hopefully Michelle Obama will share her professionalism.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:32 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,349,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I saw this article in my local paper today. It reflects my thinking; a president's wife is d***** if she does and d***** if she doesn't.

Great expectations await Michelle Obama - Today on the Trail - MSNBC.com
Well, I can't say that I like how she dresses, but then I never liked how Kennedy dressed either, but I can say that she is a lady through and through, and a very good mother, and so I think she out classes Jackie any day as does Obama. Kennedy was basically a womanizer, but I think he was a good president.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
I do agree with you about Laura Bush. Damn!!! I bet you never thought I would agree with you about anything, did you?

I hope that you are right about that statement that Michelle made about being proud of her country and all. I have said before that I am more than willing to give Obama a chance, at least 2 years, to see how he does as President. But, Michelle is going to have work really hard for me to like her because I just get really bad feelings when I see her or listen to her.
I have said it before on this forum, but about two weeks before Michele said that she was proud for the first time I had thought the same thing. Why? Because the U.S. had been in the Vietnam War that was dishonorable, and now Iraq. I have seen racism at its ugliest as well, and so I was so proud of America for electing Obama as the Democrat running against McCain, and I am even more proud today that he made it, but I am not proud of Oklahoma, my State that rejected him and my having to listen to racism here rear its ugly head, but at the same time I was so proud and happy to learn, meet, and make friends here with many who supported him. For you see, I am knew to this State, and I really love it except for the racism.

I am always amazed at Michele's poise and her calm under pressure just as I am Obama's.

Perhaps in time you will learn to understand her, but in the mean time I would suggest reading black history because then you may understand a lot more.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
I think you just set a record for the dumbest thing ever said on CD... That's saying a lot...!
You must stay up late at night to come up with some of this stuff....
I don't think it was dumb. I rather agree with her, and I don't consider myself dumb. LOL.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:52 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,482,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
I have said it before on this forum, but about two weeks before Michele said that she was proud for the first time I had thought the same thing. Why? Because the U.S. had been in the Vietnam War that was dishonorable, and now Iraq. I have seen racism at its ugliest as well, and so I was so proud of America for electing Obama as the Democrat running against McCain, and I am even more proud today that he made it, but I am not proud of Oklahoma, my State that rejected him and my having to listen to racism here rear its ugly head, but at the same time I was so proud and happy to learn, meet, and make friends here with many who supported him. For you see, I am knew to this State, and I really love it except for the racism.

I am always amazed at Michele's poise and her calm under pressure just as I am Obama's.

Perhaps in time you will learn to understand her, but in the mean time I would suggest reading black history because then you may understand a lot more.

--sigh--
The economy is on the verge of collapse.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:58 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,015,431 times
Jackie Kennedy was a very good mother. She was not a self-seeker, but she was a pragmatist, and a product of another time--a different background than Michelle Obama.
I love the tribute her son JFK Jr gave her: "Love of words, the bonds of home and family, and a spirit of adventure."
Michelle Obama comes off as glamorous and intelligent like Jackie, but she needs to be Michelle Obama; she'll find her own path.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:59 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,650,355 times
Michelle Obama has a strong personality. She's her own person--which always seems to not fit in with America's image of "the first lady." I think she'll do fine, getting involved with those missions she seem most suited to.
I can see why George H. cheated. In jest I say this, but with Barbara as his mate--geez, let the guy have some real fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections