Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 03:40 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,617,185 times

Advertisements

I voted for Bush in 2000 - I didn't realize and admit to myself for a few years that I had made a big mistake in voting for him...

His pushing of the Patriot Act, his destruction of so many of our liberties, his lying and deceiving us into invading Iraq, his patronizing obsession with serving the rich... it all left a terrible taste in my mouth for him and for his Republican minions in the Congress that backed him each and every step along the way...

I admit I was wrong to vote for Bush in 2000 - terribly wrong...

I tried to make up for that mistake in 2004 by voting for Kerry...

Does anyone else out there who voted for Bush regret having done so? And why?

Last edited by HubbleRules; 11-22-2008 at 03:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 03:48 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,437 times
Not really. The circumstances were much different in 2000. And based on the two choices at hand, Bush was the lesser of the two evils. The two past Democrats at that point hadn't always turned out so well (Carter, Clinton), and I didn't feel that I would risk it.

It's Kerry by the way (ah ok, it has been corrected..). In 2004, I was too wasted to get out and vote, but I probably would have voted Bush again (once again, that was 2004, things were different).

Now in 2008, I cast my first Independent vote, and felt quite liberated.

So no, I don't believe I was wrong. Times change, people change, and politics certainly change.

Old 11-22-2008, 04:39 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,583,098 times
I doubt if many are willing to admit they voted for Bush - it's way too embarassing...

And of those who admit it, it's pretty hard to admit to others that you made a big mistake...

Old 11-22-2008, 05:36 PM

24,405 posts, read 23,061,247 times
I didn't vote for Bush, either Bush. I know that was a mistake, Bush 41 was actually a pretty good president, in retrospect, but I went for Perot.
I wonder when the people will start saying " I can't believe I voted for Obama." Its already started, disillusionment over his cabinet choices and his backtracking on promises. Many expect miracles from him and will not be able to accept the reality that he's only a normal guy, maybe kind of odd, with ideas that aren't what we need right now. If the economy gets worse, those that hate him now will hate him even more. And those that casually threw their support to him on a whim will turn on him just as fast.
Add to that any kind of terrorist attack, any kind of US intervention in a foreign military crisis, and even more people will turn on him. Clinton skated through the best possible times, Obama is now dealing with the worst possible times, far worse than even Bush dealt with. Obama had his career built on luck, maybe it will continue. But the stakes are now higher than ever. If his luck runs out, he will fail spectacularly.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:00 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,480,601 times
Hubble,

I voted for Bush in 2000. It was my first time voting (19) I was raised in a clinton despising, Republican household, and I felt Bush was a clean break from the Clinton years. He also seemed like a good guy. As an evangelical christian, I liked his professed faith. I enthusiastically supported Bush.

He began to lose me during the run-up to Iraq. I couldn't quite reconcile pre-emptive war with my faith, and didn't see the logic in going after Iraq when we hadn't caught bin laden yet. Still, gave him the benefit of the doubt and rolled with it.

In 2004 I held my nose and voted for Bush because I thought it unwise to change horses midstream, and felt that withdrawing now--when we were so entrenched--would make things worse. Then when I learned about wiretapping, guantanamo, and the massive expansion of wasteful government. The continuing bad news from Iraq got me most, especially since they didn't seem to think that anything needed to change. I was glad Bush announced the surge, but thought it interesting that he didn't suggest it until Rumsfeld was gone, and Gates got in there

I'm happy Iraq is going well. A tyrant is gone, and they're more free than they were. But still, we shouldn't have gone in the first place. While I don't think Bush is evil, I think he bumbled his way through most of the past eight years with the help of truly horrible advisors. If he were my employee, I wouldn't renew his contract.

So yes, I do regret voting for Bush in 2000. I should have voted for McCain in the primaries. I don't know if I would have voted for Gore, but part of me thinks he would have made a better president. Then again, maybe not. I'll never know.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:03 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,590,895 times
I voted for both Bush Sr. and Bush Jr. and I do not think I made a mistake. I voted for McCain, and I know I didn't make a mistake there. Everyone keeps screaming about lost liberties but they never seem to explain. Did someone come to your house and stop you from doing something? I'm still allowed to watch what I want on TV, eat the food I want to eat, buy the house I want to buy, travel the country to visit the places I want to see.

I think Bush did a great job, and I am proud that I helped get him into office.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:04 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,764,702 times
John Kerry put the "D" in douche bag. I was too young to vote in 2000.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:17 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
I voted for both Bush Sr. and Bush Jr. and I do not think I made a mistake. I voted for McCain, and I know I didn't make a mistake there. Everyone keeps screaming about lost liberties but they never seem to explain. Did someone come to your house and stop you from doing something? I'm still allowed to watch what I want on TV, eat the food I want to eat, buy the house I want to buy, travel the country to visit the places I want to see.

As you, I'm still waiting to hear from those who feel they have lost their liberties, just exactly what liberties they have lost. Mistakes? Hardly. Good post, sir!

Old 11-22-2008, 06:18 PM

1,678 posts, read 2,546,159 times
I agree with Frankie...different times, etc. I voted for Bush twice and no, I do not regret it!

I've said it before and I'll say it again...Bush had to deal with things than no other President has had to deal with in recent times, and I think he did the best he could given the situtation. I truly believe that he had the welfare of the American people at heart, and I am thankful to him for keeping us safe since 9/11. AND I don't believe he's the bumbling idiot so many try to make him out to be!

Old 11-22-2008, 06:33 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post

I hate to break it to you, but you are in a VERY SMALL minority nowadays.

Regarding liberties lost - that's an easy one. You have lost your right to privacy. Your phone calls, credit reports and e-mails can all be monitored - legally and without a warrant by any relatively low-level member of Homeland Security or other law enforcement agency for any virtually reason they choose - all without any checks and balances on what they do or why they do it.

That kind'a sounds like old East Germany to me.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections