Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 12:05 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,384,349 times

Advertisements

President-elect Barack Obama is looking very presidential these days. When he makes an announcement, he is ringed by American flags and stands behind a lectern that has a very presidential-looking placard announcing "The Office of the President-Elect."

Despite Bells and Whistles, 'Office of President-Elect' Holds No Authority - FOXNews.com Transition Tracker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 12:09 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,076,115 times
Well, since Bush seems to be retired in rank, it is a good thing SOMEONE is trying to take care of business.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:13 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,211,281 times
Good article. I particularly like the statement:

Despite its lack of formal power, some argue that the "Office of the President-Elect" must maintain an official and authoritative front -- even if just for show. This transition comes at a particularly vulnerable time for the U.S. government in protecting against terrorism -- as evidenced in 1993 when terrorists bombed the World Trade Center as former President Bill Clinton prepared to take office.

"President Bush and President-Elect Obama have stressed together that the times of transition are particularly perilous in terms of terrorist strikes," said Hull. "The President-Elect and his team must appear to maintain confidence."

Again, as I mentioned in another thread - both the incoming and outgoing Presidents are working very hard to make sure that the transition is as seamless as possible.

I LIKE IT!!!!

Ken

Old 11-25-2008, 12:14 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,457,640 times
Thankfully, somebody is attempting to lead the nation. That empty suit currently occupying the White House has been retired for about 6 months and out to lunch for about 8 years.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:16 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,003,517 times
Poor old Fox

Old 11-25-2008, 12:19 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,076,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Poor old Fox

Yeah. They are about to learn what happens when you go all in and only hold a pair of deuces.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:23 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,584,530 times
I wonder what was their motivation in reporting this? Are they hoping that people just ignore the transition in hopes that it will go away?

Old 11-25-2008, 12:24 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,625,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
President-elect Barack Obama is looking very presidential these days. When he makes an announcement, he is ringed by American flags and stands behind a lectern that has a very presidential-looking placard announcing "The Office of the President-Elect."

Despite Bells and Whistles, 'Office of President-Elect' Holds No Authority - FOXNews.com Transition Tracker
I think Fox misses something here.

It holds no formal authority.

Authority can come from fear, from position, and from person.

Most of Obama's authority at the moment come from his person - people grant him authority because he seems authoritative. He cannot order changes in the current government, but by his actions, he can change how the world feels, not just this country.

The OFFICE may have no authority (though I think it, too, has some), but Barack Obama does.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:31 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,748,814 times
Any excuse will work. Will be interesting to see how obama is doing after a couple years. I can hardly wait, but wait I will.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:43 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,211,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post
I think Fox misses something here.

It holds no formal authority.

Authority can come from fear, from position, and from person.

Most of Obama's authority at the moment come from his person - people grant him authority because he seems authoritative. He cannot order changes in the current government, but by his actions, he can change how the world feels, not just this country.

The OFFICE may have no authority (though I think it, too, has some), but Barack Obama does.
Actually the article DOES say something to that effect:

"Obama has no formal power as far as the existing government is concerned, but he has a lot of informal influence, which President Bush has encouraged,"

It's a fair article I think.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections