Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 01:23 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,264,037 times

Advertisements

Wow. When I read stuff like this, I really just can't wrap my brain around what kind of world such people as Medved must inhabit:

Michael Medved : Big Lies that Poison Thanksgiving and Subvert Our Sense of Honor - Townhall.com

I mean, seriously batsh*t.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 01:31 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,038,691 times
Then why read it at all? I just avoid reading stuff I consider crap.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:33 PM

I just stumbled on it. A quick glance and I was speechless--so had to keep reading.

There's a reason that townhall.com is not my news source of choice, lol.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:34 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,352,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Wow. When I read stuff like this, I really just can't wrap my brain around what kind of world such people as Medved must inhabit:

Michael Medved : Big Lies that Poison Thanksgiving and Subvert Our Sense of Honor - Townhall.com

What do you not agree with? Calling it batsh*t without saying why or how you disagree with the article isn't exactly enlightening. I, for example, agree with about half of it, but his point of view isn't "batsh*t..." it's valid and some of it is verifiable fact (95% disease deaths, etc).

Old 11-26-2008, 01:34 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,417,705 times
Quote:

Medved is a bit of a whacko..check out this from a couple months ago, in which he tries to make the case that slavery wasn't that bad after all.

Michael Medved : Six inconvenient truths about the U.S. and slavery - Townhall.com

Actually Medved's radio show isn't that bad. Unlike most in hate radio, he takes callers and has on guests from the left.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:39 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,825,831 times
slavery as an institution was bad, but it is easy to make the argument that it was good for some people in america. ask someone if they would rather live in atlanta, or some 3 world country and see what the response is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Medved is a bit of a whacko..check out this from a couple months ago, in which he tries to make the case that slavery wasn't that bad after all.

Michael Medved : Six inconvenient truths about the U.S. and slavery - Townhall.com

Actually Medved's radio show isn't that bad. Unlike most in hate radio, he takes callers and has on guests from the left.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
What do you not agree with? Calling it batsh*t without saying why or how you disagree with the article isn't exactly enlightening. I, for example, agree with about half of it, but his point of view isn't "batsh*t..." it's valid and some of it is verifiable fact (95% disease deaths, etc).
The writer is "batsh*t" if he thinks he can simply deny the facts of history. Claiming that the colonizers did not infect the Indians with disease is claiming something that is, in fact, still up for debate in the historical community:

Early Bioterrorism and Native Americans
Amherst and Smallpox

MUCH of it is ridiculous. I don't really care to go into details regarding each facet of distortion in the piece. I just posted it as an example of the complete and utter fantasy that passes for news in some corners of the media.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
slavery as an institution was bad, but it is easy to make the argument that it was good for some people in america. ask someone if they would rather live in atlanta, or some 3 world country and see what the response is.
Do they still have slavery in Atlanta? Wow.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:44 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,417,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post

I see, so now you and Medved are joined at the hip. Asking a slave's descendants is irrelevant...how about asking a young man or woman who was ripped from the country of his or her birth to be put in chains and on a slave ship...I wonder what their response would be?

Old 11-26-2008, 01:46 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,825,831 times
reread what I wrote. it was a generic city example. ask a descendant of a slave who lives in the US, if they would rather live where they are at now, or the third world country where they come from. wow is right. how hard anyone tries to twist words. get real.

Quote:
Do they still have slavery in Atlanta? Wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections