Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 12:04 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,582,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undeader View Post
I couldn't understand why he would put her in this position.. Why not just have her as the VP?

In this position she will be able to stay involved yet remain distant enough to distance herself from Obama when the time is right. She'll also be able to have her people as staffers, rather than having to work with a cabinet chosen by Obama... He would have had more control over her as VP.... I wonder what Biden is thinking through all of this.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as Secretary of State, doesn't she serve at the pleasure of the President??? Couldn't he get rid of her if she became a real problem (which I do NOT think she will be)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 12:08 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times
I think she'll do a great job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post

I'm willing to give it a chance but don't be surprised if sometime during the first year or two the Obama WH is beset by a Clinton scandal.
Well, if something scandalous does happen, Obama can always let her go. Secretary of States have been replaced many times. But, to be honest, I think she'll be fine.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:09 PM

553 posts, read 836,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as Secretary of State, doesn't she serve at the pleasure of the President??? Couldn't he get rid of her if she became a real problem (which I do NOT think she will be)?

Well you're comments are not wrong but you misunderstood my point.

Obviously she is smart enough not to create a problem until the time was right... Even then, she knows how to create problems and keep her hands clean... That's one of the benefits of being able to pick her own staff.

I'm not saying she is out to sabotage his Presidency but as always her personal goals and aspirations will be first in her mind. If she sees a door into power and it means stepping on him to do so, she is in just the right position to make that happen.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:22 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
Quote:
I couldn't understand why he would put her in this position.. Why not just have her as the VP?

In this position she will be able to stay involved yet remain distant enough to distance herself from Obama when the time is right. She'll also be able to have her people as staffers, rather than having to work with a cabinet chosen by Obama... He would have had more control over her as VP.... I wonder what Biden is thinking through all of this.
If Obama had appointed Hillary as VP, many would have viewed it as pandering to the Hillary supporters who wanted Hillary for no other reason that she was a woman. I wanted Hillary because she was qualified first. Being a woman was icing on the cake. Biden and Hillary are good friends. When Biden appointed Ron Klain as his Chief of Staff (mainly an expert on domestic issues), it sent a signal to some that he may not be heavily involved in foreign issues as previously thought. I would be willing to bet Biden knew Obama was leaning toward Hillary when he selected Biden. Everything I've read indicates Obama's been thinking about Hillary for months before he was elected.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:34 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times
I am positive this was a deal made so she would leave the race.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
If Obama had appointed Hillary as VP, many would have viewed it as pandering to the Hillary supporters who wanted Hillary for no other reason that she was a woman.
Exactly--he needed to win on his own merits. It was important that he win because people voted for him, not his VP. It was important that he win the support of Hillary's supporters, even if they didn't know if she would have a role.

Also, SOS is a good position for Hillary, she will do much more with this job than she could have with VP.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
If Obama had appointed Hillary as VP, many would have viewed it as pandering to the Hillary supporters who wanted Hillary for no other reason that she was a woman. I wanted Hillary because she was qualified first. Being a woman was icing on the cake. Biden and Hillary are good friends. When Biden appointed Ron Klain as his Chief of Staff (mainly an expert on domestic issues), it sent a signal to some that he may not be heavily involved in foreign issues as previously thought. I would be willing to bet Biden knew Obama was leaning toward Hillary when he selected Biden. Everything I've read indicates Obama's been thinking about Hillary for months before he was elected.

More and more I'm thinking that this was Hillary's choice.. That she passed on the VP slot for SOS because of the reasons I mentioned.

I understand what you're saying but won't any high level appointment be viewed upon as pandering by those supporters you mention? Only difference is with SOS she's more able to position herself for a run after Obama or against him if things don't go too well.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I understand what you're saying but won't any high level appointment be viewed upon as pandering by those supporters you mention?
He doesn't need to make an appointment to win votes anymore. The election is over.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
He doesn't need to make an appointment to win votes anymore. The election is over.

You're right, but that is not the only reason one would have to pander to their opposition's base... Surely their support will come in handy in 2012 if not before...

Old 11-30-2008, 05:49 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,477,397 times
She'll be fine..18 million demaocrats thought her worthy to be President, why not SOS. We must remind ourselves that our new President-Elect has a PLAN unlike our current POTUS. He has his own reasons for not wanting her as VP but as SOS. Lets see how it plays out. I think the Clintons have enough stink on them to keep them honest especially Bill. Obama running such a positive campaign has taken the shine off a lot of politicians. Politics is usually very dirty as McCain/Palin and the Clintons exhibited. Obama's positive campaign kind of exposed them which makes us look at them negatively. McCain with the hate and Hillary with the crocodile tears and 3am phone calls etc. Hopefully political campaigns have been forever changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections