Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 11:44 AM

2,195 posts, read 3,640,656 times

Advertisements

...how do you, as a supporter of Obama proceed?

Do you, looking at a 5-4 decision with the usual characters on each side, deride this as an example of the right wing stealing an election from us?

Or do you stare in amazement, but grant that our system of justice works and accept the lawful decision, as you prepare to support President Biden?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 11:51 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,583,316 times
If that were their ruling, I don't even know what the law would say about his successor... Would it be Biden???

If so, I would be very disheartened, but I'd follow the rule of law - as would most Americans... but there would be a tremendous amount of social unrest - many would feel that the court stole the election from the people once more...

I think you might even see Constitutional Ammendments floated to limit the court's power in such events - probably at least to remove their lifetime-appointment priviledge.

However, I give it about one chance in a million of ever coming to pass...

Old 11-30-2008, 12:01 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,583,316 times
Actually, if the Supreme Court were to rule Obama ineligible to be President, wouldn't McCain be president then???

I'd definitely have to give up plans for going back on the wagon if that were to happen....

But the country would survive - it always does.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:17 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Here's my opinion.

First of all, the Supreme Court isn't going to actually hear the evidence since no evidence has yet to be presented. It will have to rule that the case be submitted for trial in a lower court. Second, if this all takes place after the Electoral College votes and Obama is sworn in, highly likely, the only body that has the power to remove a President is the U.S. Congress and the only method that it has for doing so would be by impeachment. So, what would that look like? A Democratic majority in the House would weigh the evidence of the Kooters vs. the sworn testimony of state officials. Fat chance of articles of impeachment being sent to the Democratic majority Senate where a 2/3rds vote will be required to remove Obama.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:25 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,245,808 times
> For the sake of the discussion, assume that the Supreme Court decides against Obama...

Uh, what case is before the Supreme Court that Obama has a direct interest in??

Old 11-30-2008, 12:29 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
Actually, if the Supreme Court were to rule Obama ineligible to be President, wouldn't McCain be president then???

I'd definitely have to give up plans for going back on the wagon if that were to happen....

But the country would survive - it always does.
IMO, it would end up being Nancy Pelosi. Or, conceivably, Sarah Palin.

It would not be McCain because he conceded. There is no provision to undo a concession.

Nor would it be Hillary Clinton because the rule is the dnc can choose whomever they wish in whatever way they wish. Obama was chosen, and that's the end of that. There is no provision to undo a decision, especially after an election. For the same reason, it cannot be another republican candidate with the possible exception of Sarah Palin. It could be argued that a VP candidate who did not concede could conceivably carry on in McCain's stead.

So I sure hope the people pursuing this like the idea of Pelosi as president. I have a feeling they haven't thought that far in advance.

But not to worry, this baloney isn't going anywhere and everybody knows it (no matter how much faux outrage they muster).

Old 11-30-2008, 12:30 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,617,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizbin View Post
> For the sake of the discussion, assume that the Supreme Court decides against Obama...

Uh, what case is before the Supreme Court that Obama has a direct interest in??
The court is going to discuss the merits of HEARING the Donofrio case this Friday. It is NOT going to hear the case, just to debate whether it should at some future date.

A quote from the 11/26/2008 edition of The Bulletin:

"In New Jersey, Leo Donofrio filed suit against New Jersey Secretary of State Nina Wells, asserting she had not maintained the integrity of the electoral process. His case was rejected at the state level, and he presented it to Supreme Court Justice David Souter. When Justice Souter rejected the case, Mr. Donofrio presented it to Justice Clarence Thomas, who docketed it for conference on Dec. 5. In that conference, if four of the nine Supreme Court justices decide to accept the case, then hearings will be scheduled for the case."

Old 11-30-2008, 12:31 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,785,898 times
Wow, I can hardly imagine the civil unrest, the violence we would have in this country if that happened.

...It would be truly ugly....

Old 11-30-2008, 12:33 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
It is NOT going to hear the case, just to debate whether it should at some future date.
How 'bout 8 years and 52 days from now?

Old 11-30-2008, 12:33 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Cells View Post
Wow, I can hardly imagine the civil unrest, the violence we would have in this country if that happened.

...It would be truly ugly....

By those who supported obama, I presume?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections