Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 07:40 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,860,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Because presently the Senate is 100% white, and the man who left his position open ALSO happens to have been the only black Senator. Why should blacks be excluded from the Senate when they had a representative advance to President? If there was 10 other black people in the Senate, then race should be a non factor, but not this time
I was agreeing with the poster who said we are all equal regardless of differences or race. So why not a white woman? Or a Hispanic woman? Or an Asian man? Whoever is best for the job. Replacing a person based on race is racism in the most pure form. Why should race be the focus???????

But....if you want to play that game and replace based on race, then it should be a Hispanic, as Hispanics are now the largest minority group in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 07:43 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
I was agreeing with the poster who said we are all equal regardless of differences or race. So why not a white woman? Or a Hispanic woman? Or an Asian man? Whoever is best for the job. Replacing a person based on race is racism in the most pure form. Why should race be the focus???????
It should NOT be the sole basis for deciding who his replacement is. No one said it should be. However, based on the racial imbalance in the Senate, based on this historic election of the first black man, and considering the special place in Illinois history of rising to the occasion and electing African Americans to the national stage (from Illinois) it had BETTER be considered.

If not, it would be a SERIOUS oversight on the part of the Gov.

Hope you can quit saying this is racism now, after I've explained it. And your point about Hispanics is well taken. Progress is needed, and with Obama, quite possible. Thank God there is no McCain/Palin

Old 12-03-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
It should NOT be the sole basis for deciding who his replacement is. No one said it should be. However, based on the racial imbalance in the Senate, based on this historic election of the first black man, and considering the special place in Illinois history of rising to the occasion and electing African Americans on the national stage (from Illinois) it had BETTER be considered.

If not, it would be a SERIOUS oversight on the part of the Gov.

Hope you can quit saying this is racism now, after I've explained it. And your point about Hispanics is well taken. Progress is needed.
Well then based on racial imbalance in the senate it should be a Hispanic. They are now the largest minority group in the US.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Well then based on racial imbalance in the senate it should be a Hispanic. They are now the largest minority group in the US.
Did you not read the friggin post, or are you just a little slow? Illinois + Obama + history = ______

Old 12-03-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Did you not read the friggin post, or are you just a little slow? Illinois + Obama + history = ______
Okaaaayyyyy. Illinois has Hispanics, and a Hispanic senator from Illinois would make history. So again, your point?

See how silly looking at race is???? Obama's senate seat should be replaced with the best candidate period, be they man, woman, white, black, Asian, Hispanic, Indian, straight, gay, etc.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Carol Mosely Braun has a sketchy background.

Carol Moseley Braun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-03-2008, 10:03 PM

Carol Mosley Braun may have a sketchy background, and politicians may not always perform up to peoples expectations. However, this subjective matter is never more clear than the disdain some people have for Pres. Clinton, himself a wonderful Pres.

So the issue is not how well one did in their office, necessarily, as everyone can argue this without end. This argument is about the barriers broken on the way. What do people remember about Jackie Robinson? His batting average? The number of years he played? Or that he broke baseball's color barrier?

First black woman - From Illinois
First black President - From Illinois
President who ended slavery - From Illinois

And someone thinks the significance of this should NOW just be ignored when naming a replacement to our first black President?

I dont think so.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:08 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,366,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Since Obama was the only black senator, I think it would be a crying shame NOT to replace him with another black person. It hardly seems excessive to me to have at least one senator of color. I just wonder what all those people screaming about this would say if 99 senators were black and the one white senator was being replaced by another black senator. Just think about that and be honest. How would you feel?
You all have to be kidding on this? I would think his replacement would be the best person for the Job. This sounds like reverse discrimination.
How would you feel if you went for a Job and had 5 years of experience, and another went for same job and had 5 weeks of experience, and got the job because they were a minority. I bet you would not like that at all.
This makes no sense!

Diane G

Old 12-03-2008, 10:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
I don't think anyone was suggesting appointing someone from some other state, odanny. There are about 13,000,000 people in Illinois, probably half are old enough to be senator.

Illinois was also the first state east of the Mississippi to give women the right to vote.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:12 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,216,429 times
Quote:
Agreed 100%.

So why then, are so many people wanting a black senator replaced with another black senator. That is racist. Since everyone is equal, if a white woman replaced Obama on the senate, it would be OK. Right? She would just be different, but no better or no worse.
If you agree that everyone's equal - no better or no worse - then you will also agree that we might as well select someone that accomplishes another goal that we have: a diverse representative body. All other things being equal, we would rather have a body that looks like its constituents rather than a body made up solely of white males.

So, while every individual is equal, not every group is equal. Some groups are better than others. We want the best group.

I'm glad you're coming around to our way of thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections