Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 06:39 AM

898 posts, read 1,394,754 times

Advertisements

The same as I felt in this election. That I voted not for the best man, but for the lesser evil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 09:42 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,062,874 times
I voted for him twice, reluctantly as the lesser of two evils. Same reason I voted for McCain this past election. However, I'm not as frightened of an Obama presidency as I was pre-election--though I'm still not overjoyed with it and I have a lot of fear about our national security.

It's going to be interesting to watch those on the far Left as Obama reveals his more centrist (and logical) policies and strategies. He actively courted the far Left with some pretty wild campaign promises; now as he actually executes a more logical strategy, those left wingnuts are going to drop him like a hot potato.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:10 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,130,640 times
I was probably considered a left wing nut by some on this forum. I am extremely happy with what Obama has done to this point. When Bush was elected, I was not happy with the direction he went. I voted for Bush once, as governor of Texas. I did not vote for him for president either time. I felt like he did a good job as governor, but someone (Cheney?, Rove?) got ahold of him and convinced him to change to the ineffective partisan president he became.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:35 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,573,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
I was curious and I want to explore the deep conscious of a Bush voter in 2008. How does it feel 8 years later? Are you proud of your vote?
After they open their latest 401k statements - I think not..

Old 12-04-2008, 11:32 AM

5,553 posts, read 6,719,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingmesomeday View Post
I voted for him twice, reluctantly as the lesser of two evils. Same reason I voted for McCain this past election. However, I'm not as frightened of an Obama presidency as I was pre-election--though I'm still not overjoyed with it and I have a lot of fear about our national security.

It's going to be interesting to watch those on the far Left as Obama reveals his more centrist (and logical) policies and strategies. He actively courted the far Left with some pretty wild campaign promises; now as he actually executes a more logical strategy, those left wingnuts are going to drop him like a hot potato.
The actual far left never went for Obama; that was the verbiage used by Republicans. The Democrats - moderate liberals, at best, voted for him, as well as some Republicans. I don't think anyone who actually voted for him thought he was far left, nor did we expect anything more than he will give. I think we all knew he was centrist and so much better than what we had.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:00 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,069,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
I wasn't old enough to vote either time, but I'm glad my parents voted for him. It's comforting to know that someone won't hesitate to put the military to use when an attack occurs, especially when my friend's father was killed on 9/11. I want a President who will fight back and I want a President who knows how to fight back. As Clinton displayed during the pre-9/11 WTC attacks, we need a President who is willing to fight back and protect the country to prevent future attacks, which Clinton didn't do and right after his term, 9/11 happened. We'll see how much better of a job Bush did when he leaves office. And people complain about tightened laws now, but it's only for public safety. Bush cares about America no matter what the media says. The media will find something to say about everyone who's not a Democrat and ignore the fact that Obama is a terrorist afilliate. Of course things are tighter now, but it's all done for a reason, not to be that "criminal government" you all think of. And quite honestly, we've had loose laws before in this country and look how people abused it... I don't think most Americans can be trusted in society with loose laws and soft penalties.

And you can hardly blame Bush for the economy. You can blame Americans for being consuming nutcases and taking everything for granted and expecting everything to be handed to them while people in Africa hunt and grow their own food.
I am addressing the bolded part of your post. Read what someone who lived through it has to say. Meanwhile, remember it's very cowardly to treasure your safety over your liberty.

"What no one seemed to notice. . . was the ever widening gap. . .between the government and the people. . . And it became always wider. . . the whole process of its coming into being, was above all diverting, it provided an excuse not to think for people who did not want to think anyway . . . (it) gave us some dreadful, fundamental things to think about . . .and kept us so busy with continuous changes and 'crises' and so fascinated . . . by the machinations of the 'national enemies,' without and within, that we had no time to think about these dreadful things that were growing, little by little, all around us. . .
Each step was so small, so inconsequential, so well explained or, on occasion, 'regretted,' that unless one understood what the whole thing was in principle, what all these 'little measures'. . . must some day lead to, one no more saw it developing from day to day than a farmer in his field sees the corn growing. . . .Each act. . . is worse than the last, but only a little worse. You wait for the next and the next. You wait for one great shocking occasion, thinking that others, when such a shock comes, will join you in resisting somehow.
You don't want to act, or even talk, alone. . . you don't want to 'go out of your way to make trouble.' . . .But the one great shocking occasion, when tens or hundreds or thousands will join with you, never comes. That's the difficulty. The forms are all there, all untouched, all reassuring, the houses, the shops, the jobs, the mealtimes, the visits, the concerts, the cinema, the holidays. But the spirit, which you never noticed because you made the lifelong mistake of identifying it with the forms, is changed. Now you live in a world of hate and fear, and the people who hate and fear do not even know it themselves, when everyone is transformed, no one is transformed. . . .You have accepted things you would not have accepted five years ago, a year ago, things your father. . . could never have imagined." :
From Milton Mayer, They Thought They Were Free, The Germans, 1938-45 (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1955)

Old 12-04-2008, 12:39 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,125,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
You ever heard of "water boarding"- its great, it makes the person feel like they are drowning!

Thats all great what your saying about the Patriot Act accept for the violation of our Civil liberties and all. Once they take one, why not take em' all.

You have a better chance of dying from Heart Disease than getting attacked by a terrorist on the way to work.
Well gosh. I wonder how those people who were fed into a wood chipper feet first alive under the direction of Saddam Hussein felt? I wonder if he was concerned about their civil liberties? I wonder if any terrorists cared about the civil liberties of the people they killed on 09/11?

I bet the people who were in the twin towers on September 11th don't think that terrorism is something we shouldn't worry about.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:43 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,125,165 times
I voted for Bush twice and I would do it again. He was a better choice than Gore. And he was a better choice than Kerry.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:12 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,194,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
I'd rather the gov't search through my computer to ensure that I'm not a terrorist than have terrorists blow me up on my way to work.
Are these really your only two choices? What about this: Would you rather live in a country where the government searches through your computer legally or one where it does so illegally?

Nobody ever said that your two choices were the only options. So your comment is overly simplistic, and is also a big jump towards fascism. It's a very good thing that America's founders did not think like you.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:21 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,233,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Are these really your only two choices? What about this: Would you rather live in a country where the government searches through your computer legally or one where it does so illegally?

Nobody ever said that your two choices were the only options. So your comment is overly simplistic, and is also a big jump towards fascism. It's a very good thing that America's founders did not think like you.
Don't kid yourself, Hogie. Safeway and Albertson's know more about you than you would dream possible. As do Amazon, Expedia, and Google.

What used to be called fascism has become, thanks to Progress, "data mining." And we're all part of the mother lode.

Last edited by Yeledaf; 12-04-2008 at 01:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections