Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 03:09 PM

821 posts, read 1,033,958 times

Advertisements

I was curious and I want to explore the deep conscious of a Bush voter in 2008. How does it feel 8 years later? Are you proud of your vote?

Last edited by Bo; 12-03-2008 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: Moved from General US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 03:12 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,924,648 times
Proud to say I never voted for the man. (I hated Bush when it was not popular to do so...)

Those I know who DID vote for him... both 00 and 04... in '04 told me he did "well" considering the "circumstances." By '08 they were singing QUITE a different tune.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:21 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,999,941 times
I voted for Bush in 00 and 04. Neither time did I feel I had a very good choice of candidates. The second time, when Bush ran against Kerry, it boiled down to a coin toss. I held my nose and voted for Bush. I think it says a lot about the Democratic brand at the time that a weak candidate such as Bush could actually win in both years.

The thing about Bush is if he had actually done what he was planning on doing, such as overhaul Social Security, Medicaid, and Medicare, rather than generate yet another huge entitlement program and spend money like a drunken pimp with a week to live, we would probably be looking at a far different situation today. Even his attempts to rein in FMA and FMAC were half-hearted, a price that we're paying today. Instead, he threw his campaign promises under the bus, ratcheted up spending, and allowed his VETO stamp to grow cobwebs in his desk drawer. The fact that the man only vetoed one single bill in his first seven years in office says a lot.

Here's a shocking fact about the Bush presidency. Had the man simply kept increases in government spending pegged to the rate of inflation, we would have enormous government surpluses today--even despite the ill-considered adventure in Iraq (Something that I wrote and called my congressman to plead against).

Old 12-03-2008, 04:06 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,269,509 times
I voted for Bush in 2000 and I am fine with that vote because at the time he seemed to be a decent choice. By 2004 I realized that Bush was just a Democrat in Republican clothing and decided that if I was going to vote for a Democrat, I might as well vote the one who actually called himself a Democrat and so I voted for Kerry. But I didn't really care which one of them won, kinda like this year with McCain and Obama.

Last edited by Lucidus; 12-03-2008 at 04:15 PM..

Old 12-03-2008, 04:23 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,477,379 times
I wasn't old enough to vote either time, but I'm glad my parents voted for him. It's comforting to know that someone won't hesitate to put the military to use when an attack occurs, especially when my friend's father was killed on 9/11. I want a President who will fight back and I want a President who knows how to fight back. As Clinton displayed during the pre-9/11 WTC attacks, we need a President who is willing to fight back and protect the country to prevent future attacks, which Clinton didn't do and right after his term, 9/11 happened. We'll see how much better of a job Bush did when he leaves office. And people complain about tightened laws now, but it's only for public safety. Bush cares about America no matter what the media says. The media will find something to say about everyone who's not a Democrat and ignore the fact that Obama is a terrorist afilliate. Of course things are tighter now, but it's all done for a reason, not to be that "criminal government" you all think of. And quite honestly, we've had loose laws before in this country and look how people abused it... I don't think most Americans can be trusted in society with loose laws and soft penalties.

And you can hardly blame Bush for the economy. You can blame Americans for being consuming nutcases and taking everything for granted and expecting everything to be handed to them while people in Africa hunt and grow their own food.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:27 PM

370 posts, read 1,013,676 times
As opposed to a president who would have just sat there, and made security less strict?

Bush did what anyone, and I mean literally anyone, would have done. Except for the whole Iraq thing. You know, no one with any kind of education would have done that.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:39 PM

The patriot act and the use of torture tactics were awesome!

Old 12-03-2008, 04:44 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,477,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
The patriot act and the use of torture tactics were awesome!
The Patriot Act was perfectly logical in order to protect and keep America safe. If you're doing nothing wrong on your computer, telephone, or finances then you have nothing to worry about. It all comes down to the fact that Al-Qaeda wants to TERRORIZE us and common sense tells you that things are going to become more cautious. I don't think you realize how many terrorists are living in New York City as we speak. I'd rather the gov't search through my computer to ensure that I'm not a terrorist than have terrorists blow me up on my way to work.

And what are these "torture tactics" you speak of?

Old 12-03-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
The Patriot Act was perfectly logical in order to protect and keep America safe. If you're doing nothing wrong on your computer, telephone, or finances then you have nothing to worry about. It all comes down to the fact that Al-Qaeda wants to TERRORIZE us and common sense tells you that things are going to become more cautious. I don't think you realize how many terrorists are living in New York City as we speak. I'd rather them search through my computer then have them blow me up on my way to work.

And what are these "torture tactics" you speak of?
You ever heard of "water boarding"- its great, it makes the person feel like they are drowning!

Thats all great what your saying about the Patriot Act accept for the violation of our Civil liberties and all. Once they take one, why not take em' all.

You have a better chance of dying from Heart Disease than getting attacked by a terrorist on the way to work.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:10 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,600,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
You ever heard of "water boarding"- its great, it makes the person feel like they are drowning!

Thats all great what your saying about the Patriot Act accept for the violation of our Civil liberties and all. Once they take one, why not take em' all.

You have a better chance of dying from Heart Disease than getting attacked by a terrorist on the way to work.
Have you been watching Zeitgeist? I agree with you for the most part though. Of course I want my country and me to be protected from terrorists but at what cost? I'm sure the Patriot Act was more of a ruse, so that the government could check into what other sorts or "terrorist" activities were going on. Oh well, conspiracy theory I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections