U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-05-2008, 03:04 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,787,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Lived in NOLA from 2000-2004, but most of that city really shouldn't exist anyway. The Mississippi should be flowing through it by now. Regardless, the people in Metairie and Mandeville had no problem getting out, while the people from the poor areas were stuck in the Superdome, Convention Center and Arena waiting for Bush to use his power to make some kind of rescue happen. Obviously he can't be blamed for the force of nature that was Katrina, but he can be blamed for his reaction and incompetence in dealing with the disaster...exactly like 9/11 and the Financial Meltdown.
Lesee, Metairie is west of the CBD, sandwiched between Lake Ponchartrain and the River, with I-10 heading west, the causeway to Mandeville and Covington, and I-55 north out of LaPlace. Mandeville is on the north side of Lake Ponchartrain, so while both Metairie and Mandeville are not in really close proximaty to the CBD, I think most everyone got out of the way. Yes? No? I realize the hurricane party folks can't be helped by anyone, but they usually see the problem and move before the worst happens.

And who was the clown with feet on the ground in NOLA with all the same info Bush was getting, who had a plethora of school busses at his disposal to get all those folks out of harm's way in the first place? Oh, yeah, the Chocolate City proclaimer, Ray Nagin. And if I recall correctly, Nagin could have called Bush, if he didn't already, and asked for help, which I believe he did, did he not?

And what was that governor's name, you know the one, Blanco? Yeah, yeah, Kathleen Blanco, a blond I believe, who sat on her hands, who did NOT hammer Nagin to get his turds all in a row, lined up, ready to move, and then had the audacity (an obama word, I know) to call upon Bush to bail her and her state out when she could have handled it all on her own.

And thinking further along this post, what about all them po folks over in Mississippi, who were hit as hard, at least, as all the po folks in NOLA? They were left out in the cold, seems I remember, but Haley Barbour never asked for any extra money, he and his people knuckled down, buckled down, helped each other instead of wasting time and hollering at Bush to come down, help 'em out.

I'm sure all this is way over your head, so I'll quit, it's not worth the effort any more.

Nearbout forgot: It's not YOUR call, nor mine, as to whether the city should be in existence, or not.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 03:07 PM

2,518 posts, read 721,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Why didn't the New Orleans mayor help get these people out???? He knew Katrina was on the way. City and state are suppose to be front lines and first responders, not the Federal government.
There is a reason why we have the national guard...because a city, especially one as poor as New Orleans, does not have the resources to deal with disasters of epic proportions. Plus, New Orleans mayors are notoriously corrupt and ineffective and the people have to suffer the brunt of that.

The fact of the matter is, every time a major disaster stared Bush in the face, he was like a deer in headlights and the country suffered as a result.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:11 PM

2,518 posts, read 721,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
Nearbout forgot: It's not YOUR call, nor mine, as to whether the city should be in existence, or not.
This wasn't an opinion, this is a fact of GEOLOGY. The reason why there are Levees is because the river is supposed to be flowing there. The levees wouldn't have to be there, and the city wouldn't have been flooded if the water wasn't supposed to be there.

Mississippi did not suffer like New Orleans because New Orleans was the most significant city on the gulf coast. Nagin was pleading for help, didn't you see those news broadcasts? It took days before anything was done.

Do you actually think that Bush did a good job in his 8 years?

Old 12-05-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
This wasn't an opinion, this is a fact of GEOLOGY. The reason why there are Levees is because the river is supposed to be flowing there. The levees wouldn't have to be there, and the city wouldn't have been flooded if the water wasn't supposed to be there.
Ahhhh, now we're getting somewhere, just after the fact. I'm not going to argue a moot point with you, as the folks who live in the area, before and after Katrina, must have the levees to live there. You need to go back, tell the frogs and spaniards not to build those levees in a flood plain, you know, the ones who initially settled the area?

Quote:
Mississippi did not suffer like New Orleans because New Orleans was the most significant city on the gulf coast. Nagin was pleading for help, didn't you see those news broadcasts? It took days before anything was done.
Well, of course, I saw the newscasts, silly, who didn't? But the fact remains, Ray Nagin had all the infrastructure in place before the storm struck, so what did he do to help himself, help his city? Nothing major, of course, just kept saying, "Y'all need to leave, now!" And yet the school busses sat, and were still sitting in a flooded parking yard. He was waiting for da man to come through. What do you want, the fed to be sitting on the twin spans when the damn thing hit? Did you expect the fed to come flying in, on magic carpets or something?

Quote:
Do you actually think that Bush did a good job in his 8 years?
What I think Bush did in his eight years has no relevance in this discussion, except that he did what he did with what he had, in this situation. Failure? Not completely. Success? Not completely. Try again in another thread, I may entertain the thought.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:36 PM

2,150 posts, read 1,468,230 times
Quote:

Can y'all figure it out? Pirate girl? TuborgP? LMAO!

'At Least Bush Kept Us Safe' - WSJ.com
Let's see -

North Korea developed nuclear weapons during Bush's watch...

Iran has made great progress and is about 90% of the way to developing nukes during Bush's watch...

So, if some terrorist group gets their hands on some of these weapons and take out a U.S. city - will you still feel safe???

Think about it.. he took his eye off the terrorism ball and obsessed on the wrong target (Iraq).

Old 12-05-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
Let's see -

North Korea developed nuclear weapons during Bush's watch...

Iran has made great progress and is about 90% of the way to developing nukes during Bush's watch...

So, if some terrorist group gets their hands on some of these weapons and take out a U.S. city - will you still feel safe???

Think about it.. he took his eye off the terrorism ball and obsessed on the wrong target (Iraq).
Let's see... they haven't bombed us, yet, have they? Just think, in a mere 6-1/2 weeks, that bomb is going to be on obama's watch. Now the question comes along: Will YOU still feel safe?

Old 12-05-2008, 04:10 PM

23,062 posts, read 18,028,806 times
Quote:
Let's see... they haven't bombed us, yet, have they? Just think, in a mere 6-1/2 weeks, that bomb is going to be on obama's watch. Now the question comes along: Will YOU still feel safe?
You might want to be careful going down that path. To accept that it is his responsibility solely after January 21 is to then put the full burden of 9/11 on Bush since that was his watch. I don't think that is what you are trying to do. It may be contradictory to your perspective.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:18 PM

5,032 posts, read 3,559,836 times
Quote:
I will feel much, much safer.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
You might want to be careful going down that path. To accept that it is his responsibility solely after January 21 is to then put the full burden of 9/11 on Bush since that was his watch. I don't think that is what you are trying to do. It may be contradictory to your perspective.
9/11 was Clinton's boondoggle, TuborgP. He had several chances to have bin Laden's head on a platter, and he said he didn't want it, it was a "police matter." But Bush handled 9/11 far better than I think Clinton would have. How obama handles another attack - God forbid it should happen - will be something to watch, huh?

Old 12-05-2008, 04:21 PM

3,811 posts, read 2,804,299 times
Quote:
LMAO!
Frankly, I don't see the humor. Who was POTUS on 9/11? How many Americans have been killed, wounded, maimed, affected by the war in Iraq? A war that has NOTHING to do with 9/11? Laugh all you want but I only want to cry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections