Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 03:57 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,894,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperIncumbent View Post
That's traditional Vietnamese garb. Then again, don't fault us for being prejudiced when you and your lib friends insult a decorous Asian tradition as resembling wizard's robes.
WTF!!!! Over 58,000 Americans were killed in action in Viet Nam and Bush is wearing a tradition robe as a sign of respect to honor Viet Nam!!! Impeach the bsatard NOW. How dare he!!!

*typed tongue in cheek*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 04:36 PM

43,854 posts, read 50,875,005 times
If I had made this statement in one of my books:
From Audacity of Hope: 'I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction.'
I might would drop the Hussein part and go with an H....but he has the option of doing whatever he chooses to do. It's HIS Inauguration.

And NO....I'm not calling him a Muslim. I'm simply saying if I had made the same statement, I would balance it out.

Old 12-13-2008, 04:48 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,220,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
From Audacity of Hope: 'I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction.'
I might would drop the Hussein part and go with an H....but he has the option of doing whatever he chooses to do. It's HIS Inauguration.

And NO....I'm not calling him a Muslim. I'm simply saying if I had made the same statement, I would balance it out.
I love it when folks on this board repeat quotes from Obama's books without having the SLIGHTEST CLUE as to the context of the quote.

Do you have ANY IDEA of what Obama was writing about when he wrote that?
Any Idea at all?

Here is the full quote (in context):

"Of course, not all my conversations in immigrant communities follow this easy pattern. In the wake of 9/11, my meetings with Arab and Pakistani Americans, for example, have a more urgent quality, for the stories of detentions and FBI questioning and hard stares from neighbors have shaken their sense of security and belonging. They have been reminded that the history of immigration in this country has a dark underbelly; they need specific assurances that their citizenship really means something, that America has learned the right lessons from the Japanese internments during World War II, and that I will stand with them should the political winds shift in an ugly direction."

In other words he's stating that he will NOT stand by idly while innocent individuals are picked out and picked ON simply because other individuals of their religion (or from the land of their ancestors) have committed terrorists acts - that Obama will NOT let things like the shame of the Japanese roundup and Internment be repeated all over again (this time against Muslims).

This is a noble, decent, and honest stand for him to take - and anyone who is a noble, decent, and honest American should easily see that it's the RIGHT thing to do. I know I would PROUDLY stand beside him in that effort.

Those who seek to use this quote against Obama are either completely ignorant of what he is actually saying - or completely unAmerican in their outlook.

Ken

Old 12-13-2008, 05:00 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,894,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
I love it when folks on this board repeat quotes from Obama's books without having the SLIGHTEST CLUE as to the context of the quote.

Do you have ANY IDEA of what Obama was writing about when he wrote that?
Any Idea at all?

Here is the full quote (in context):

"Of course, not all my conversations in immigrant communities follow this easy pattern. In the wake of 9/11, my meetings with Arab and Pakistani Americans, for example, have a more urgent quality, for the stories of detentions and FBI questioning and hard stares from neighbors have shaken their sense of security and belonging. They have been reminded that the history of immigration in this country has a dark underbelly; they need specific assurances that their citizenship really means something, that America has learned the right lessons from the Japanese internments during World War II, and that I will stand with them should the political winds shift in an ugly direction."

In other words he's stating that he will NOT stand by idly while innocent individuals are picked out and picked ON simply because other individuals of their religion (or from the land of their ancestors) have committed terrorists acts - that Obama will NOT let things like the shame of the Japanese roundup and Internment be repeated all over again (this time against Muslims).

This is a noble, decent, and honest stand for him to take - and anyone who is a noble, decent, and honest American should easily see that it's the RIGHT thing to do. I know I would PROUDLY stand beside him in that effort.

Those who seek to use this quote against Obama are either completely ignorant of what he is actually saying - or completely unAmerican in their outlook.

Ken
BAM!!

http://ts3.images.live.com/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=197681485902&id=5530a851a530fbd61 5fdb39eb2966448 (broken link)

Old 12-13-2008, 05:12 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,069,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
True enough - Vietnamese.
I noticed you didn't deny being prejudiced though.

Hmmmmmmm..... wonder why this is?

Ken
They still look like the "The Singing Wizards"...or cross dressers...

Old 12-13-2008, 05:59 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,603,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post

Misquote.

snopes.com: Barack Obama in His Own Words

Old 12-13-2008, 06:58 PM

94 posts, read 126,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Except that he wants to lower taxes, and he'll probably appoint moderate judges.
No, he's going to raise taxes.

Considering the top 5% pay 60% of all income taxes, he's going to raise taxes on the tiny minority who pay the majority of taxes in this country.

The bottom 50% (which is the bracket I'm in) who pay 3% of income taxes will get a cut.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:14 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,179,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
Appease, reboot, same difference. As I said, I have no problem with him using his middle name. I do it all the time. But I do it for myself, not to appease or reboot my image or the countries image with anyone.

Following tradition is fine, but again not to reboot.

FOX News WASHINGTON – President-elect Barack Obama says he will try to "reboot America's image" among the world's Muslims and will follow tradition by using his entire name — Barack Hussein Obama — in his swearing-in ceremony.
Just about everything a president does has some symbolism to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections