Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 06:52 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times

Advertisements

WASHINGTON -- President-elect Barack Obama is entering the White House with an enormous reservoir of goodwill from an American public that is rooting for his success in the face of bad economic times, a new Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll finds.

Overall, a majority of Americans are confident in Mr. Obama's ability to govern and unify the country, with many who didn't vote for him now seeing him in a positive light. The poll found that 73% of adults approve of the way he is handling the transition and his preparations for becoming president.

Nearly four in 10 people say they view Mr. Obama more favorably than they did on Election Day

Even 29% of McCain voters now see Mr. Obama positively, compared with 9% in October. Republicans, small-town voters and conservatives have all warmed up to the president-elect since Election Day.

The survey also offers a final report card on Mr. Bush, who leaves office with near-record-low popularity. Just 18% say they are going to miss him when he is gone, half the number Mr. Clinton recorded on his way out of office. Asked to compare Mr. Bush with the past several presidents, half of those surveyed said he will go down as worse than most.

The above is all from the link and any disagreement is with them and the Republican pollster they used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 06:57 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,245,064 times
The link: Poll Shows Obama Gains Support - WSJ.com

Old 12-11-2008, 07:05 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,536,261 times
I would LOVE to hear what Kathleen Broussard thought was "so far so good".

Old 12-11-2008, 07:52 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Even 29% of McCain voters now see Mr. Obama positively, compared with 9% in October. Republicans, small-town voters and conservatives have all warmed up to the president-elect since Election Day.
Yay!

Old 12-12-2008, 08:56 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,108,186 times
What has really surprised me is the people I know who are lifelong Republicans and who I KNOW voted for McCain, are now actually praising Obama. I have actually been shocked speechless to hear them saying how impressed they are with his cabinet choices or how it is nice to hear his thoughtful, erudite responses to different issues....and even what great parents Michelle and Barack seem to be. These comments are coming from people who I never thought I would ever hear one good word about a Democrat. It is so refreshing to see people start to come together and hope again.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:06 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
What has really surprised me is the people I know who are lifelong Republicans and who I KNOW voted for McCain, are now actually praising Obama. I have actually been shocked speechless to hear them saying how impressed they are with his cabinet choices or how it is nice to hear his thoughtful, erudite responses to different issues....and even what great parents Michelle and Barack seem to be. These comments are coming from people who I never thought I would ever hear one good word about a Democrat. It is so refreshing to see people start to come together and hope again.
Yep. Reading this forum every day, you would think that all Republicans are crazed and want him impeached, but the majority of people I know who voted McCain and were actually very anti-Obama during the election, are actually rooting for him to succeed.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:48 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Yep. Reading this forum every day, you would think that all Republicans are crazed and want him impeached, but the majority of people I know who voted McCain and were actually very anti-Obama during the election, are actually rooting for him to succeed.
Yeah, you can't even begin to judge America's mood by the Obamabashers on this board. They are pretty much the extreme fringe of the fringe.

Happily, MOST Americans are a lot less dogmatic - and quite frankly - probably smarter. A lot of the Obama attack posts on this board are just plain silly and I suspect simply placed there by trolls - at least I HOPE they are trolls. It would be appalling if these people really believe the stuff they are posting.

Ken

Old 12-12-2008, 09:57 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
I've had the same experience. Here in my little mountain town in North Georgia, people weren't really discussing the election until this whole Blago issue come up.

What I find most interesting: They are making these positive comments after seeing the news about Blago.

Contrary to the wishful thinkers on this forum, most of the people in my town think the news about Blago makes Obama look good.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:43 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times
Quote:

They are "hoping" because....what is the their other choice? We are not (yet) a nation of anarchy, who riot in the streets or form a coup against a newly elected leader. And it speaks to the eternal optimism of the American people. I "hope" Obama does well too, not because I believe in him, but to see if he is willing to do what is in the BEST interest of the nation. I really have my doubts, as I am a realist, but will wait and see.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:48 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
They are "hoping" because....what is the their other choice? We are not (yet) a nation of anarchy, who riot in the streets or form a coup against a newly elected leader. And it speaks to the eternal optimism of the American people. I "hope" Obama does well too, not because I believe in him, but to see if he is willing to do what is in the BEST interest of the nation. I really have my doubts, as I am a realist, but will wait and see.
Very nicely stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections