Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 08:23 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,404,509 times

Advertisements

Three weeks after Obama's victory, Medvedev talked to Obama by phone and said he was looking for "constructive, partnerlike relations" and that "The conversation I had with the president-elect allows me to expect a similar U.S. approach."
"The Kremlin has signaled readiness to tone down its rhetoric," Lukyanov said. "Apparently, they decided to try to improve ties."
Even America's toughest critics sounded a conciliatory note. Ahmadinejad sent Obama a congratulatory letter. Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez drew parallels to John F. Kennedy even as he welcomed Russian warships into the Caribbean for joint naval exercises.

Politics News - Foes ready to test Obama overseas (http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-politics/20081213/EU.Obama_s.Adversaries/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 08:45 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,107,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Three weeks after Obama's victory, Medvedev talked to Obama by phone and said he was looking for "constructive, partnerlike relations" and that "The conversation I had with the president-elect allows me to expect a similar U.S. approach."
"The Kremlin has signaled readiness to tone down its rhetoric," Lukyanov said. "Apparently, they decided to try to improve ties."
Even America's toughest critics sounded a conciliatory note. Ahmadinejad sent Obama a congratulatory letter. Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez drew parallels to John F. Kennedy even as he welcomed Russian warships into the Caribbean for joint naval exercises.

Politics News - Foes ready to test Obama overseas (http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-politics/20081213/EU.Obama_s.Adversaries/ - broken link)
It has to have been pretty scary for the rest of the world dealing with the U.S. during the past 8 years. They could never tell when Cheney would decide that Haliburton needed another war to pump up its bottom line and send his puppet cowboy out on another search and destroy mission. I bet people all over the world have been holding their breath and will be so relieved to have an honorable, intelligent president in charge of the U.S.

Old 12-13-2008, 02:20 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,148,202 times
Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez drew parallels to John F. Kennedy even as he welcomed Russian warships into the Caribbean for joint naval exercises.

Now there's a guy a person has to be proud to get a happy-gram from.
I hope Chavez also remembered how Kennedy handled Cuba.

Old 12-13-2008, 03:48 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,029,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Now there's a guy a person has to be proud to get a happy-gram from.
I hope Chavez also remembered how Kennedy handled Cuba.
Which raises a more pressing question to my mind; how do you remember Kennedy handling Cuba?

Old 12-13-2008, 04:11 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,933,217 times
Well, to be honest I think Biden hit the nail on the head when he predicted something will happen to test our incoming POTUS. Frankly, I've always been glad he said that, and never considered it a gaffe--it was honest, and I think Americans deserve honesty like that.

So getting back to the OP--It's nice to hear about the friendly greetings, and I choose to be hopeful when I hear them. But..... Politicians often start off with friendly greetings. That's part of politics. It doesn't change the feeling that something's bound to happen. Since we don't know what it will be, all we can do is keep our eyes open and try to avoid getting distracted by pettiness.

Yes, pettiness. That's the one thing that really makes our government weak, IMO. Which means it's the one reason I get annoyed by those who get their kicks out of trying to trip up our president. Sore losers who engage in petty gameplaying make our country vulnerable, IMO. Office politics and pettiness do more damage to corporations than the economy, and the same thing is true with government politics.

But once again, I'm powerless to do anything about these fools, just like I'm powerless over who, or when, or if we will see a serious challenge in the next year. Something tells me we will. In the meantime, all I can do is keep on living life while I keep my eyes open, steel myself for a bumpy ride, and make a difference whenever I can.

Old 12-13-2008, 04:15 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,404,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
It has to have been pretty scary for the rest of the world dealing with the U.S. during the past 8 years. They could never tell when Cheney would decide that Haliburton needed another war to pump up its bottom line and send his puppet cowboy out on another search and destroy mission. I bet people all over the world have been holding their breath and will be so relieved to have an honorable, intelligent president in charge of the U.S.
Mind reader . . . . .

Old 12-13-2008, 04:40 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,927,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Which raises a more pressing question to my mind; how do you remember Kennedy handling Cuba?
If you don't know why would you ask. BTW there was no stained dress involved.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:02 PM
LML

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Mind reader . . . . .
Great minds think alike, don't they my friend?

Old 12-13-2008, 05:05 PM
LML

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Well, to be honest I think Biden hit the nail on the head when he predicted something will happen to test our incoming POTUS. Frankly, I've always been glad he said that, and never considered it a gaffe--it was honest, and I think Americans deserve honesty like that.

So getting back to the OP--It's nice to hear about the friendly greetings, and I choose to be hopeful when I hear them. But..... Politicians often start off with friendly greetings. That's part of politics. It doesn't change the feeling that something's bound to happen. Since we don't know what it will be, all we can do is keep our eyes open and try to avoid getting distracted by pettiness.

Yes, pettiness. That's the one thing that really makes our government weak, IMO. Which means it's the one reason I get annoyed by those who get their kicks out of trying to trip up our president. Sore losers who engage in petty gameplaying make our country vulnerable, IMO. Office politics and pettiness do more damage to corporations than the economy, and the same thing is true with government politics.

But once again, I'm powerless to do anything about these fools, just like I'm powerless over who, or when, or if we will see a serious challenge in the next year. Something tells me we will. In the meantime, all I can do is keep on living life while I keep my eyes open, steel myself for a bumpy ride, and make a difference whenever I can.

I have often wondered if the neo cons every give consideration to the possibility that 9/11 might never have happened if the government wasn't so distracted by their constant attempt to "get Clinton" that enough attention wasn't paid to the gathering clouds of terrorism.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:13 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,029,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I have often wondered if the neo cons every give consideration to the possibility that 9/11 might never have happened if the government wasn't so distracted by their constant attempt to "get Clinton" that enough attention wasn't paid to the gathering clouds of terrorism.
It would be very easy to demonstrate how the Clinton witch hunt hampered the effort against bin Laden, but Richard Clarke's book Against all Enemies does a fine job, so I don't need to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections