Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 08:26 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,943,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Article II Section 2, in total.

The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States; he may require the Opinion, in writing, of the principal Officer in each of the executive Departments, upon any subject relating to the Duties of their respective Offices, and he shall have Power to Grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.

He shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur; and he shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the supreme Court, and all other Officers of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by Law: but the Congress may by Law vest the Appointment of such inferior Officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the Courts of Law, or in the Heads of Departments.

The President shall have Power to fill up all Vacancies that may happen during the Recess of the Senate, by granting Commissions which shall expire at the End of their next Session.

Ok, you sharp eyed constitutionalist point out where the various Departments, Offices and Agencies of the Executive Branch are spelled out?

Anyway, I see your Article II and raise you an Article I

Section 8

The Congress shall have power... To make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution the foregoing powers, and all other powers vested by this Constitution in the government of the United States, or in any department or officer thereof.

I'll see your raise and go all-in!

To answer your first question, it's in bold above to make it easy for you.

As for Article I, Congress certainly does have the power to create a Constitutional office called President-elect - to do so would require a 2/3 vote of both houses and ratification by 3/4 of the States - they ain't done that to my knowledge.

Are you sure you want lump the President-elect with the other offices you mentioned? You are aware that by so doing you will be giving George Bush the authority to select the next president.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 08:51 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,215,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omle View Post
Blago, Rezko, Wright, Ayers, Dorn, etc., etc. Really not dirt bags, right?

Get ready for Rahm to get shoved under the bus. He's headed there.

Ideologically driven? Not really. I am conservative, but if a this crap was surrounding an empty suit republican I'd be saying the same thing.

Face it, or don't. Obama has thrived in the sewer of Chi machine politics. If you think he is clean after 20 years and being pushed upwards, you are delusional.
Two of those people are dirt bags: Blago and Rezko. And they are being rewarded for their activities. The others are fine.

But I didn't say there weren't dirtbags. I said that nobody else could see dirtbags around Obama. You are really stretching things to say those people have much to do with Obama other than coming from Chicago and being aquainted the way anybody in politics is. You can pick any politician, say Palin or McCain for example, and find an equivalent number of people who have been convicted of crimes. That doesn't mean that everyone they associated with is also guilty.

You are making a silly point. And this entire thread is silly. And getting all huffy about nonsense like this doesn't do your cause any good at all.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:39 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,582,900 times
Thumbs up Good planning/good performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgewalker View Post
Obama Invents 'Office of the President-Elect

Monday, November 10, 2008 12:54 PM

By: Jim Meyers Article Font Size

Barack Obama has created a stir by proclaiming that he heads “The Office of President-Elect” — an office that does not officially exist.

At his first news conference on Nov. 7, Obama stood at a podium bearing a sign that read: “Office of the President-Elect. Also, his Web site, Change.gov, bears the words “Office of the President-Elect” at the top of its home page.

Writer Larry Anderson referred to the “made-up little title” on the American Thinker Web site, and declared: “I nearly busted a gut ...

“Once again, [Obama] can’t wait to invest himself with the trappings of office.”

Conservative columnist Michelle Malkin wondered: “What other make-believe offices are they going to invent between now and Inauguration Day? I can’t ever recall in my lifetime any mention of such an office.”

Technically speaking, Obama may not even be the President-elect, according to the American Sentinel Web site.

“Megalomaniac Obama’s ego grows even more insufferable,” a weekend posting reads.

“Yes, he will be [president-elect]. But he’s not officially yet, until the Electoral College votes.

“The Constitution provides that on the Monday after the second Wednesday in December, electors convene in their respective state capitals. It’s then that they formally elect the President of the United States, based on the general election results.”

The Nov. 7 news conference did not mark the first time Obama has created controversy with a podium.

Back in June, he spoke at a podium bearing a new seal that altered the official presidential seal.

The seal did include the American bald eagle clutching arrows and an olive branch, but the Latin phrase “E Pluribus Unum” was changed to “Vero Possumus,” a rough translation of the Obama campaign slogan, “Yes we can.”

Obama’s seal also removed the shield over the eagle’s breast, representing the president’s oath to defend the Constitution, and replaced it with the letter “O,” presumably for Obama, and the image of the rising sun.

Darn good thing he did, too.

He and his staff are going to need all the head start they can get in trying to clean up the Bush/Cheney mess.

Why couldn't we have seen some small hint of competence and concern over the past eight years?

Old 12-16-2008, 03:14 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
I'll see your raise and go all-in!

To answer your first question, it's in bold above to make it easy for you.

As for Article I, Congress certainly does have the power to create a Constitutional office called President-elect - to do so would require a 2/3 vote of both houses and ratification by 3/4 of the States - they ain't done that to my knowledge.

Are you sure you want lump the President-elect with the other offices you mentioned? You are aware that by so doing you will be giving George Bush the authority to select the next president.
Your argument is absurd.

From your highlighted section:

"...and he shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the supreme Court, and all other Officer of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by Law: but the Congress may by Law vest the Appointment of such inferior Officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the Courts of Law, or in the Heads of Departments."

Nouns are people, places or things, ambassadors, ministers, consuls, judges, and officers are nouns for people, not offices. There is nothing in Article II which reserves for the president or prohibits the Congress from establishing embassies, ministries, consulates, courts or offices. in point of fact Article I, Section 8 does provide the Congress with establishing such things. As for the Office of President elect being a "Constitutional Office" what are you talking about? The President-elect has no Constitutional powers so to argue that it is a "Constitutional" position is a figment of your imagination. It is a Congressionally mandated office for the President elect established for the purpose of insuring an uninterrupted transfer of power, nothing more and nothing less. The Constitution establishes who the President-elect shall be, the Congress simply granted them office space. Get over it.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:00 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,032,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Two of those people are dirt bags: Blago and Rezko. And they are being rewarded for their activities. The others are fine.

But I didn't say there weren't dirtbags. I said that nobody else could see dirtbags around Obama. You are really stretching things to say those people have much to do with Obama other than coming from Chicago and being aquainted the way anybody in politics is. You can pick any politician, say Palin or McCain for example, and find an equivalent number of people who have been convicted of crimes. That doesn't mean that everyone they associated with is also guilty.

You are making a silly point. And this entire thread is silly. And getting all huffy about nonsense like this doesn't do your cause any good at all.
Pls list Palin or McCain examples like Barry's associates for 20 years. You really are riding for a hard fall re: the Messiah.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Pls list Palin or McCain examples like Barry's associates for 20 years. You really are riding for a hard fall re: the Messiah.
If I may interject.

Palin;

Even as tangential as the connection of Obama with Blagojevich (who by the way is yet to be convicted) is, I offer Ted Stevens for whom Palin served as director of Steven's 527, Ted Stevens Excellence in Public Service, Inc. Palin also received both the political and financial support of other convicted politicians, state senator John Cowdery and state representative Pete Kote (R-Wasilla).

In the religious sphere we have Obama's Jeremiah Wright for which I offer Palin's reverend Larry "He [god] is gonna strike out His hand against, yes, Wasilla; and Alaska; and the United States of America. There's no exceptions here -- there's none. It's all.'" Kroon and Thomas "The Witch Hunter" Muthee.

As for the real Americans vs the Bill Ayers Amercans, I offer Joseph Vogler who once opined "The problem with you John Birchers' is that you are too damn liberal."

As for John McCain:

The Keating 5 will do for now.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Ovcatto did a fine job of answering your request. And as a member of a group of people who probably spent a good part of the last 8 years defending Bush, you'll forgive me if I laugh at your prognostication about Obama.

I've never said Obama was perfect, or great. The word "Messiah" is yours. Strawman arguments are a good sign of a flawed intellect.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:02 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,032,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
If I may interject.

Palin;

Even as tangential as the connection of Obama with Blagojevich (who by the way is yet to be convicted) is, I offer Ted Stevens for whom Palin served as director of Steven's 527, Ted Stevens Excellence in Public Service, Inc. Palin also received both the political and financial support of other convicted politicians, state senator John Cowdery and state representative Pete Kote (R-Wasilla).

In the religious sphere we have Obama's Jeremiah Wright for which I offer Palin's reverend Larry "He [god] is gonna strike out His hand against, yes, Wasilla; and Alaska; and the United States of America. There's no exceptions here -- there's none. It's all.'" Kroon and Thomas "The Witch Hunter" Muthee.

As for the real Americans vs the Bill Ayers Amercans, I offer Joseph Vogler who once opined "The problem with you John Birchers' is that you are too damn liberal."

As for John McCain:

The Keating 5 will do for now.
I'd say Barry's associations are stunningly worse. That you don't see this is odd to say the least. But, hey....you're in love. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
I'd say Barry's associations are stunningly worse. That you don't see this is odd to say the least. But, hey....you're in love. Enjoy it while it lasts.
How so? You demand details from others but appear to be shy in providing not only substantiation but even a reasoned argument. "you're in love," how trite. Surely you can come up with differences between the nefarious associates of Obama and those of Palin/McCain especially when they are so, "Stunningly worse."

Old 12-17-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Incredible. You're the one who belongs to a tiny minority that sees something sinister in "Obama's associations," and yet you think it's odd that Ovcatto doesn't see it. That's a clear example of delusion if I've ever seen one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections