U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 07:05 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,869,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
They will choose him or we will lock and load. It is that simple.
Ah Democrats, the party of reason AND contradiction. They keep screaming about wars and how they are the party of peace but are ready to "lock and load"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 07:12 PM

2,024 posts, read 3,768,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Ah Democrats, the party of reason AND contradiction. They keep screaming about wars and how they are the party of peace but are ready to "lock and load"
For the sake of Democracy I think anyone would. Let's put it this way, had the positions been reversed and McCain had won by a margin of eight million votes and the electors decided to put Palin or Pelosi or whoever the order would dictate instead of McCain, I would have marched. It isn't a partisan issue, it's an issue of democracy.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:17 PM

12,715 posts, read 11,577,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
For the sake of Democracy I think anyone would.
Not everyone holds democracy as the highest value.

I've often said, and still say, that if General Zinni, General Fallon and some of their other retired colleagues decided to go Pinochet on Bush, you wouldn't see me jumping on the barricades in his defense. Democracy is not an end in itself.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:19 PM

19,868 posts, read 22,731,855 times
Quote:
For the sake of Democracy I think anyone would. Let's put it this way, had the positions been reversed and McCain had won by a margin of eight million votes and the electors decided to put Palin or Pelosi or whoever the order would dictate instead of McCain, I would have marched. It isn't a partisan issue, it's an issue of democracy.
Agreed.
It's not a matter of OBAMA being cheated out of the office, it's a matter of the PEOPLE being cheated out of our right to choose our leadership.

If we DIDN'T protest and fight under those conditions, then Democracy in America would be OVER.

It's as simple as that.

Ken

Old 12-15-2008, 07:24 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,869,231 times
Quote:
You are more fair in your thinking as a liberal because you are a moderate liberal which is cool. It is the wacko far lefties (and righties, I might add) that are dangerous.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:29 PM

19,868 posts, read 22,731,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Not everyone holds democracy as the highest value.

I've often said, and still say, that if General Zinni, General Fallon and some of their other retired colleagues decided to go Pinochet on Bush, you wouldn't see me jumping on the barricades in his defense. Democracy is not an end in itself.
You would find me.
It isn't a matter of WHO is thrown out (and whether he deserves the office or not), it's a matter of "once you agree to that process (of the military taking over)" then you might as well figure that the military leaders will assume they can do whatever they want and put WHOEVER they want in power and REMOVE whoever they want, whenever they want, and do whatever they want to whoever they want - including YOU and YOUR LOVED ONES.

Democracy is not an end to itself - it's a way of ensuring that you and your loved ones have RIGHTS. If Democracy goes - so will your rights (and any degree of safety and security those right provide).

Ken

Old 12-15-2008, 07:30 PM

18,061 posts, read 10,090,091 times
Quote:
If you have a problem differentiating between a moral and an immoral conflict, you are part of the problem. We don't like war, but you should never confuse pacifism with idiocy or submission. Peaceful people will fight, but as a final measure when other avenues have been exhausted, not as a primary tool for opening negotiations when there is a disagreement.

It will be so refreshing to have an administration in Washington that can discuss foreign policy without having to couch it in terms of "how many troops" or "how much force is needed" to deal with the situation, whatever it may be.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
You are more fair in your thinking as a liberal because you are a moderate liberal which is cool. It is the wacko far lefties (and righties, I might add) that are dangerous.
Well thank you.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Agreed.
It's not a matter of OBAMA being cheated out of the office, it's a matter of the PEOPLE being cheated out of our right to choose our leadership.

If we DIDN'T protest and fight under those conditions, then Democracy in America would be OVER.

It's as simple as that.

Ken
Exactly. We would be allowing the government to betray the very principles this country was founded on. Does anyone want to become the next China with no room for dissent?

Old 12-15-2008, 07:50 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,270,556 times
Quote:
I do not say that lightly. There is almost never a valid reason for violence in a democracy- except to defend that democracy itself. Peace is not always desired. People in China are quite peaceful. The Jews in 1930s Europe were peaceful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or