Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 03:01 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,896,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman0 View Post
...are you embarassed by your decision yet?
Nope. Are you embarrassed yet for having voted for Bush twice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 03:07 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,192,636 times
Quote:
Clearly you missed the point. That's OK, I understand that complex thought is difficult for most Democrats. I will explain it simply, step by step, so that even people who were fooled by the broken promises of the Obama campaign can follow.

blah blah blah ....
I agree with you to some extent - I understood what you meant when you demanded an evaluation of Gore or Kerry without using imagination. It was a bit unfair for people to respond to that by blasting you. However, this comment is full of disgusting and insulting language, and you should be ashamed.

It still remains that you evaluate the current administration, with its long list of miserable failures and very short list of questionable successes, against your imagination of what Gore or Kerry would have done. You fail to include in your evaluation the fact that GWB was totally unqualified for the job by either experience or demonstrated intellectual capacity (which was then evidenced by his performance). Similarly, you fail to factor in that both Gore and Kerry were eminently qualified by both intellect and experience. They would both have handled the challenges that were presented to Bush with more skill, diplomacy, and intelligence, and therefore with a higher probability of success.

And your imaginary scenarios were totally off the wall anyway.

Quote:
Al Gore is elected president, and carries through his transition for 8 months (assuming the same Supreme Court kerfuffle delays the transition). September 11th happens, and Al Gore, instead of responding to the threat, continues with Bill Clinton's failed policy of police action rather than military against terrorism. In addition, he continues with his earth-saving cap & trade system.
Who says Gore would have responded as you imagine? Most Dems supported the action in Afghanistan - a military response. Opposition started when Bush diverted our military action to Iraq, which was not a response to terrorism.

Quote:
Now, instead of a post-9/11 recession limited to the airlines, we have a full blown depression as industry and power companies are forced to bankruptcy or relocate out of the United States. With such a blow to the economy, jobless rates soar and the housing bubble bursts in '02. But after driving out the economic base, there's nothing to resurrect our stumbling economy.
Fantasy. How are power companies going to relocate outside the US? Power transmission doesn't work that way, or the power companies would have done that for economic reasons already (cheaper labor, cheaper construction, lower environmental hurdles). And environmental protection can happen without damage to the economy. It is a weird conservative notion that we have to destroy our environment in order to keep our economy.

Quote:
But lets say that didn't happen, and President Bush was elected in '00. In 2004, he loses to John Kerry, who promises to pull out of Iraq faster than you can say "who deserves a purple heart for falling out of a boat?" Democratic advances in Iraq are stalled, and Iraq turns towards Iran. Iran swoops in, grabbing Iraqi scientists and resources and leaps forward to develop a nuclear weapon. The United States is left without a Middle East presence, shows no intent to defend our allies, and Israel is left to contend with a nuclear Iran which promises to wipe it off the map.
Your hatred of a decorated war veteran is pretty disgusting. Pretty anti-American, actually, and worthy of scorn. Besides that, Iran is already controlling Iraq as we speak. What you fear about a Kerry presidency has happened under Bush. And Bush has botched the Iranian as well as N. Korean nuclear situations. I can't even understand the last part of your scenario. Are you saying that we're in Iraq to defend Israel?

You are free to use your imagination to help you feel better about your votes for Bush. If you want, you're free to think that God would have brought down his wrath upon the US, smiting our cities, slaying our first-born, and decimating our crops. You can rationalize any way you want. But if you do it here in a forum, you get to experience people laughing at you for your lack of understanding of how the universe works.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:13 PM

36,819 posts, read 18,729,643 times
Quote:

Gore would have been worse on all fronts - economy, defense, and federal spending.
Doubtful.

Gore would never have attacked Iraq, and with the extra troops available to send to Afghanistan, he might even have caught Bin Laden.

That would have left a couple of trillion dollars in the treasury instead of in the hands of Halliburton and Blackwater.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:15 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,772,598 times
Quote:

....tch your own opinions about how the country should be run, and so am I.

As an aside to chaz longue, using vernacular coined by someone does not necessarily convey acceptance of that person's views. It is a well understood phrase which is shorthand for more detailed information. Being that you're an Obama supporter, I would understand if you don't understand this explanation, and I would be happy to use shorter words for you.
When you're finished googling to see exactly why your choice of this particular figure of speech seems, in your case, both quite apt, and very telling, please feel free to translate the phrase "Fifth Column" for me. I'll look forward to that.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:20 PM

94 posts, read 331,221 times
Quote:
For all those who helped elect a corrupt Chicago politician who seems to, along with his buddy the Illinois Governor, have taken the job to scam money for political appointments, are you embarassed by your decision yet?

The Obama administration, while promising to be forthcoming and transparent, has dodged reporters and refuses to release records regarding their involvement in the selling of our political future.

So are you embarassed yet, having fallen for the empty promises of Barack Obama? Or do you still hold out some slim sliver of hope that Barack Obama is going to follow through on any of his campaign promises?

The President-elect is showing himself for what he always was, a liar and a fraud, more interested in his own personal advancement than in improving our country. Hopefully in '12 all of you who voted for this empty suit will wake up and see that a candidate's record speaks louder than mindless rhetoric.
Forget it, Obama lovers have already drank the Kool-Aid. Their Messiah can do no wrong. You should know that.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:25 PM

241 posts, read 433,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMKM-Miller View Post
Forget it, Obama lovers have already drank the Kool-Aid. Their Messiah can do no wrong. You should know that.
Yeah, no amount of fantasy scenario-spinning will convince them otherwise.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:28 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,281,702 times

Old 12-17-2008, 03:52 PM

877 posts, read 2,070,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
I agree with you to some extent - I understood what you meant when you demanded an evaluation of Gore or Kerry without using imagination. It was a bit unfair for people to respond to that by blasting you. However, this comment is full of disgusting and insulting language, and you should be ashamed.
Strangely enough, I'm not. Step back and try reading these political topics from the perspective of a conservative sometime. The hate and vitriol spread by the liberal members of this particular sub-forum are particularly vile.

Quote:
It still remains that you evaluate the current administration, with its long list of miserable failures and very short list of questionable successes, against your imagination of what Gore or Kerry would have done. You fail to include in your evaluation the fact that GWB was totally unqualified for the job by either experience or demonstrated intellectual capacity (which was then evidenced by his performance). Similarly, you fail to factor in that both Gore and Kerry were eminently qualified by both intellect and experience. They would both have handled the challenges that were presented to Bush with more skill, diplomacy, and intelligence, and therefore with a higher probability of success.
George Bush wasn't qualified intellectually? As I recall, he attended Harvard and Yale, two of the most prestigious Universities in this country. Experience? He was a state Governor before being elected to the White House. After Kennedy until the current race, the American people had determined that Senators had no business in the White House, as they lacked executive experience.

Gore and Kerry were more qualified, both in experience and intellect? How do you figure? Gore had no executive experience, and spent most of his time as VP trying to cover Bill's lies. John Kerry received poorer grades than George Bush when he attended Yale. And John Kerry had no executive experience at all.

Quote:
And environmental protection can happen without damage to the economy. It is a weird conservative notion that we have to destroy our environment in order to keep our economy.
You've got it backwards. It is a strange liberal notion that we have to destroy our economy to help the environment.

Can you name any pro-capitalist terrorists? I can name a few anti-capitalist/pro-environment terrorists.

Wasn't it the Democrat candidate this election cycle who threatened coal companies with bankruptcy if they tried to build coal plants?

Quote:
Your hatred of a decorated war veteran is pretty disgusting. Pretty anti-American, actually, and worthy of scorn. Besides that, Iran is already controlling Iraq as we speak. What you fear about a Kerry presidency has happened under Bush. And Bush has botched the Iranian as well as N. Korean nuclear situations. I can't even understand the last part of your scenario. Are you saying that we're in Iraq to defend Israel?
First of all, I do not hate John Kerry because he is a war veteran. That is a uniquely liberal philosophy. Was it Conservatives who spit on troops returning from Vietnam? Did Republicans vandalize war memorials?

I opposed John Kerry because he wasn't honest about his service. He made up facts, and when the truth came out, he put on his sad puppy face and cried to the media. The left has even invented a phrase, "swift-boated," to refer to telling the truth about a candidate.

Are we in Iraq to defend Israel? No, we're in Iraq to help stabilize the Middle East, defend American interests, prevent a dictator (now executed) who had the means to acquire WMD and the will to use them, and to stop the rape and torture of millions of people.

Quote:
You are free to use your imagination to help you feel better about your votes for Bush. If you want, you're free to think that God would have brought down his wrath upon the US, smiting our cities, slaying our first-born, and decimating our crops. You can rationalize any way you want. But if you do it here in a forum, you get to experience people laughing at you for your lack of understanding of how the universe works.
No, I get to experience liberals laughing at me. That doesn't bother me, because they are the sort of people who bought the lies about the Soviet Union and continue to buy the lies about Venezuela and Cuba. And more than a few continue to buy the lies of Al Gore and Michael Moore who market conspiracy theories and make millions from the idiots who pay to hear lies and half truths.

It's a good thing when the residents of the loony bin think you're crazy.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:02 PM

241 posts, read 433,715 times
Quote:
Strangely enough, I'm not. Step back and try reading these political topics from the perspective of a conservative sometime. The hate and vitriol spread by the liberal members of this particular sub-forum are particularly vile.
Isn't one of the cornerstones of Conservative philosophy to be personally responsible?

Or has it morphed into "waaaah! the other guy hit me, and that determines my response!".

Take personal responsibility for your posts if you espouse personal responsibility.

Quote:
Wasn't it the Democrat candidate this election cycle who threatened coal companies with bankruptcy if they tried to build coal plants?
Can we come out of your fantasy scenarios yet?

Quote:
I opposed John Kerry because he wasn't honest about his service. He made up facts, and when the truth came out, he put on his sad puppy face and cried to the media. The left has even invented a phrase, "swift-boated," to refer to telling the truth about a candidate.
100% false...and you still bought it.

Quote:
No, I get to experience liberals laughing at me. That doesn't bother me, because they are the sort of people who bought the lies about the Soviet Union and continue to buy the lies about Venezuela and Cuba. And more than a few continue to buy the lies of Al Gore and Michael Moore who market conspiracy theories and make millions from the idiots who pay to hear lies and half truths.
Hmmm....lies and half-truths. You'd be an expert on those topics, I believe. I bow to your greater knowledge on the matter.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:19 PM

1,405 posts, read 4,772,598 times
Quote:

George Bush wasn't qualified intellectually? As I recall, he attended Harvard and Yale, two of the most prestigious Universities in this country. Experience? He was a state Governor before being elected to the White House. After Kennedy until the current race, the American people had determined that Senators had no business in the White House, as they lacked executive experience.

Gore and Kerry were more qualified, both in experience and intellect? How do you figure? Gore had no executive experience, and spent most of his time as VP trying to cover Bill's lies. John Kerry received poorer grades than George Bush when he attended Yale. And John Kerry had no executive experience at all.

You've got it backwards. It is a strange liberal notion that we have to destroy our economy to help the environment.

Can you name any pro-capitalist terrorists? I can name a few anti-capitalist/pro-environment terrorists.

First of all, I do not hate John Kerry because he is a war veteran. That is a uniquely liberal philosophy. Was it Conservatives who spit on troops returning from Vietnam? Did Republicans vandalize war memorials?

Are we in Iraq to defend Israel? No, we're in Iraq to help stabilize the Middle East, defend American interests, prevent a dictator (now executed) who had the means to acquire WMD and the will to use them, and to stop the rape and torture of millions of people.

It's a good thing when the residents of the loony bin think you're crazy.
George W. Bush did indeed "attend" Yale. As did members of his family, which explains his attendance in the first place.

Your may have whatever opinions you care to about Kerry. They are opinions, however. It's a fact, though, that Kerry is a decorated veteran. Dispute that, or show me evidence of George W, Bush's military record - or continue to lose credibility even more rapidly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections