Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2009, 12:13 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times

Advertisements

So are you saying that everyone should be a senator? I am sorry, Caroline Kennedy is a moron... a super rich moron... hm..... I love it when people love to elect the very wealthy to represent them... how so smart of them... hope it doesn't blow up in their face.... look out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 12:18 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
I'd sure like to know how anyone expects any politician to be successful without connections.

A totally unknown person can run for any office .

The first thing they have to do is MAKE MONEY.

You can NOT campaign without contributions.

To get contributions or any other support you need friends .... CONNECTIONS.

You need a name people either know or you have to get them to know it.

That takes MONEY.

It takes other people speading your name around and usually friends and supporters do that.

If no one knows their name they will NOT make money.

Voters want to know what you can do for them....if you have no knowledge of how politics work, no connections, no "friendships", it will be much harder to get anything done.

Can they do it? Yes, some have.

And NOW they have MONEY,CONNECTIONS, have friends in high places...what it takes to get things done.

THOSE ARE qualifications!!!!

Old 01-03-2009, 12:22 PM

214 posts, read 288,016 times
I know!!!

Old 01-03-2009, 02:22 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I'd sure like to know how anyone expects any politician to be successful without connections.

A totally unknown person can run for any office .

The first thing they have to do is MAKE MONEY.

You can NOT campaign without contributions.

To get contributions or any other support you need friends .... CONNECTIONS.

You need a name people either know or you have to get them to know it.

That takes MONEY.

It takes other people speading your name around and usually friends and supporters do that.

If no one knows their name they will NOT make money.

Voters want to know what you can do for them....if you have no knowledge of how politics work, no connections, no "friendships", it will be much harder to get anything done.

Can they do it? Yes, some have.

And NOW they have MONEY,CONNECTIONS, have friends in high places...what it takes to get things done.

THOSE ARE qualifications!!!!
You are probably right which explains why we are in the mess we are in. Who would want this stupid cycle to continue on into oblivion? Certainly not an intelligent voter. This is the very reason we need new people in DC, term limits, etc.. That is unless corruption, good old boy/girl club environment, lobbyist running your government is an attractive proposition to you. I want change and I mean real change not smoke and mirrors.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
When I am hiring (which is not right now, btw, so no DM's please), this is one of the fastest ways to get yourself moved to the bottom of the pile. Maybe it's just me, but my advice to those who wish to appear intelligent in an interview is simply to realize that you already ARE intelligent. You CAME that way. Working too hard at it is likely only to mess that up. Relax and be willing to engage and be engaged. Let the rest take care of itself because if you do, it will. That's my two-cents worth on interviewing.
This is OT, but I both agree and disagree (yeah, wishy-washy). I've been on both sides of the interviewing table, and I find that when I'm being interviewed, it helps to have anticipated what you might be asked and have some sort of inkling of what you are going to say. Nurse interviewers, for example, seem to love to ask "What are your strengths and weaknesses?" So you'd better know how to answer that so as not to make yourself look incompentent (e.g. don't say, "I can't calculate dosages well", etc). Re: the rest of the above, I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
The seat was sold and bought by the Kennedy family, just not with the usual currency. What is happening is no different than what Blago did with an air of royalty attached.
Well yes, that was my point. A Denver NPR reporter referred to the NY process as "Star Search". I thought it was funny. I hope she doesn't get in trouble for that.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:04 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Hey we have a president that makes up words, and uses the wrong words frequently, and the same right wingnuts have defended that as a sign of intelligence.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:32 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_plain_woman View Post
I can not believe that Caroline Kennedy is going to be the next Senator from New York. She is just to shy and inarticulate for the job. That job is for the big leagues, not for someone better suited for the Library. She met with the press finally and came off terribly and said "you know" 142 times during the short interview.

Do you support Kennedy for the NY Senate?

Caroline Kennedy repeats 'you know' 142 times in interview - Telegraph
Heck why not. They think Palin is qualified to run for president in 2012. Now that is really scary. A nobody for president. Woo hoo, Americans are getting dumber by the minute.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:00 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,079,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Heck why not. They think Palin is qualified to run for president in 2012. Now that is really scary. A nobody for president. Woo hoo, Americans are getting dumber by the minute.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:06 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,701,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_plain_woman View Post
I can not believe that Caroline Kennedy is going to be the next Senator from New York. She is just to shy and inarticulate for the job. That job is for the big leagues, not for someone better suited for the Library. She met with the press finally and came off terribly and said "you know" 142 times during the short interview.

Do you support Kennedy for the NY Senate?

Caroline Kennedy repeats 'you know' 142 times in interview - Telegraph
Shhhhhhh................

this liberal forum does not want to hear how clearly unqualified this woman is. They didn't want to hear it about Obama and they dont want to hear it now. SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Old 01-03-2009, 04:08 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
Just because she was obviously nervous finally having to speak in such a public arena...doesn't mean her brain doesn't work. I'm certainly not a Kennedy fan....but she should be judged on something beyond her public speaking skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections