U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2008, 06:45 PM

3,640 posts, read 4,399,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
I really like Caroline Kennedy and admire her strength in the face of all of the adversity she has had to deal with in her lifetime. That said, being the member of a political family does not make you a politician. It seems she has been running from the media, and, sadly, in a short interview I saw, she looked like a deer in the headlights. I also read that she does not intend to release personal financial information unless she has been appointed.
It will be interesting to see how all of this plays out.
All of her adversity? What a laugh that is. Sorry, I realize that her father being killed and her brother dying were major events, but come on now...the woman is an adult and using her family name to get something she should not get, but probably will. I am sick of the Kennedys, Bushes and Clintons. It is time for their names to be retired and for us to get new and fresh blood in Congress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 08:48 AM

2,180 posts, read 3,253,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
All of her adversity? What a laugh that is. Sorry, I realize that her father being killed and her brother dying were major events, but come on now...the woman is an adult and using her family name to get something she should not get, but probably will. I am sick of the Kennedys, Bushes and Clintons. It is time for their names to be retired and for us to get new and fresh blood in Congress.
How many Clintons have served us in Congress?

Oh, right.

ONE.

How many Bushes have served us in Congress?

Oh, right.

ONE.

So, where are you on the 3rd and 4th Udalls? How about the 2nd Bono? The 2nd Dodd? The Diaz-Balart brothers? Or maybe the Salazar brothers!

Old 12-30-2008, 07:43 AM

2,522 posts, read 3,918,835 times
Have you heard this interview?

YouTube - Sweet Caroline Kennedy: "Ya know..."

And do we really need another senate member who can't think on his/her feet? Seriously, ya know, Caroline.

She makes the Obama "uh...uh...uhh" look brilliant.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:00 AM

5,138 posts, read 7,207,541 times
Caroline sure didn't inherit JFK's communication skills. When I read the NYT interview the other day, I was tempted to count the "you knows" myself. No one tops bush for mangling the English language, but I would not want to listen to Caroline for very long either. CNN polling indicates she's facing a gender gap as far as whether she's qualified to inherit Hillary's senate seat. Whether you like Hillary or not, she can think on her feet and has become a great communicator.
Clip:
In a 30-minute session with The News on Saturday, Kennedy punctuated her answers with "you know" more than 200 times. "Um" was fairly constant, too.
Transcripts of her interviews with other media outlets showed the same problem. She said "you know" at least 130 times to The New York Times and more than 80 times on New York 1.
Caroline Kennedy no whiz with words
Transcript of NYT interview:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/28/ny...gewanted=print

Old 12-30-2008, 09:19 AM

5,138 posts, read 7,207,541 times
Maybe the presumption by pundits that Paterson had no choice but to pick Caroline was mistaken as this background info on Paterson indicates. I wasn't aware that Hillary returned Caroline's donation after Kennedy endorsed Obama.
Clip:
Paterson isn't in thrall to the Kennedy clan because he comes from a political dynasty himself. His father, Basil Paterson, was a state senator, a New York City deputy mayor under Ed Koch and New York secretary of state. Along with David Dinkins (Mayor 1989 - 1993), Percy Sutton (Manhattan Borough President 1965-1977) and Rep. Charles B. Rangel (now chairman of the powerful tax-writing Ways and Means Committee), the elder Paterson formed a potent political force that schooled his son in the nuances, benefits and perils of power politics.
Political dynasties teach their members two important lessons: independence and the importance of loyalty. So don't be shocked if Paterson defies expectations and picks someone who is politically loyal to him -- not to a legendary uncle and not to a president who's candidacy gained momentum after a stunning endorsement -- and to the interests of New York State.
The Weakening Prospects of Caroline Kennedy - PostPartisan - Quick takes from The Post's opinion writers

Old 12-30-2008, 10:15 AM

21,044 posts, read 19,525,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post

Oh, right.

ONE.

Oh, right.

ONE.

So, where are you on the 3rd and 4th Udalls? How about the 2nd Bono? The 2nd Dodd? The Diaz-Balart brothers? Or maybe the Salazar brothers!
Great point! Connections, whether familial or otherwise, COUNT!

Those who believe the Kennedys and Clintons are the ONLY ones with a "dynasty" know NOTHING about politics .

Those who want fresh new faces ....let's hear it!!!!
WHO?
Did you call the governor with your recommendations of who can handle the job????

How about Jeb BUSH? Or is he busy trying for some other bush job?

Old 12-30-2008, 10:41 AM

40,017 posts, read 24,272,828 times
I'm still reeling from the idea that the Clintons are a "dynasty" at all. One President, one Senator/possible Secretary of State in a legendary power couple, but a married pair doesn't make a "dynasty" in my book.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:01 PM

3,640 posts, read 4,399,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps-teacher View Post

Oh, right.

ONE.

Oh, right.

ONE.

Same thing. I think that there should be a law that no family member can serve after another family member served, at least for 5 years, or more if possible.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:19 PM

20,846 posts, read 39,070,515 times
I'd rather see Mario Cuomo get the job; he's HIGHLY respected, a superb intellect and marvelous speaker.

More on Cuomo at:
- Mario Cuomo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

His 1984 DEM Convention speech is a classic. It's amazing how the words ring true today, more so.... IT'S A MUST SEE!
-
YouTube - Mario Cuomo's 1984 Convention Speech

Old 12-30-2008, 01:48 PM

22,362 posts, read 27,510,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I'd rather see Mario Cuomo get the job; he's HIGHLY respected, a superb intellect and marvelous speaker.

More on Cuomo at:
- Mario Cuomo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

His 1984 DEM Convention speech is a classic. It's amazing how the words ring true today, more so.... IT'S A MUST SEE!
-
YouTube - Mario Cuomo's 1984 Convention Speech
He is too liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or