U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 10:45 AM

2,522 posts, read 3,918,539 times

Advertisements

So how does Obama face the red-face test on this issue? Arne Duncan is the CEO of the school system the Obamas opted out of.

They met on the basketball court. He's a Harvard grad, with a degree in sociology. There are numerous other educators, nationally, that would have been a better choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 10:51 AM
LML

7,109 posts, read 8,103,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
So how does Obama face the red-face test on this issue? Arne Duncan is the CEO of the school system the Obamas opted out of.

They met on the basketball court. He's a Harvard grad, with a degree in sociology. There are numerous other educators, nationally, that would have been a better choice.

Oh I think we all know that whoever Obama had chosen you would have found something to complain about. When someone is so unrelentingly hateful about another person they lose credibility.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:52 AM

5,945 posts, read 4,861,035 times
Looks to me like he has a pretty extensive background in education.

Arne Duncan graduated magna *** laude from Harvard University in 1987, majoring in sociology. He was co-captain of Harvard’s basketball team and was named a first team Academic All-American. From 1987-1991, Mr. Duncan played professional basketball in Australia, where he also worked with children who were wards of the state.
Duncan returned to Chicago in 1992 to direct the Ariel Education Initiative, which seeks to create outstanding educational opportunities for inner-city children on the City’s South Side. In 1998, he joined the Chicago Public Schools.
In June, 2001, Mayor Richard M. Daley named Duncan Chief Executive Officer of the Chicago Public Schools.
Duncan currently serves on the Boards of the Ariel Education Initiative, Chicago Cares, The Children’s Center, the Golden Apple Foundation, the Illinois Council Against Handgun Violence, Jobs for America’s Graduates, Junior Achievement, the National Association of Basketball Coaches’ Foundation, Renaissance Schools Fund, Scholarship Chicago and the South Side YMCA.
He also serves on the Board of Overseers for Harvard College and the Visiting Committees for Harvard University’s Graduate School of Education and the University of Chicago’s School of Social Service Administration. He was a fellow in the Leadership Greater Chicago’s class of 1995, and a member of the Aspen Institute’s Henry Crown Fellowship Program, Class of 2002. He has received honorary degrees from the Illinois Institute of Technology, Lake Forest College and National Louis University.
In 2006, the City Club of Chicago named Duncan Citizen of the Year.

So, what's your beef?

Old 12-16-2008, 11:08 AM

3,856 posts, read 9,344,727 times
Actually, Arne is a good guy. He only coincidentally met up with Obama due to basketball (and John Rogers). Look, he survived at the helm of CPS for seven years! The guy graduated magna from Harvard and returned to work for peanuts in the 'hood. I can personally tell you that he inspired a lot of smart college grads to consider teaching in the public schools.

Plus, he's better than Ruth Love or Paul Vallas, two winners to come out of CPS. After his work in the public schools, how could he not be called an 'educator'?

Old 12-16-2008, 11:13 AM

The CPS are a mess.
- 6 in 100 high school graduates of Chicago Public Schools obtain a college degree by age 25
- test scores are well below the state average
- Illinois schools are #48 in the nation for state funding
- graduation rate of less than 50%

I could go on and on. Being neighbors and friends on the basketball court does not qualify you to lead education in the United States.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Actually, Arne is a good guy. He only coincidentally met up with Obama due to basketball (and John Rogers). Look, he survived at the helm of CPS for seven years! The guy graduated magna from Harvard and returned to work for peanuts in the 'hood. I can personally tell you that he inspired a lot of smart college grads to consider teaching in the public schools.

Plus, he's better than Ruth Love or Paul Vallas, two winners to come out of CPS. After his work in the public schools, how could he not be called an 'educator'?

Personally, I like Arne Duncan, but I think there are many other more qualified educators.
As for CPS superintendents, I'd take Vallas any day. He began the reform inititative that Duncan has tried to capitalize on.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Oh I think we all know that whoever Obama had chosen you would have found something to complain about. When someone is so unrelentingly hateful about another person they lose credibility.

You what, I don't hatre Obama. It hink he is the wrong person for the job. As for Arne Duncan, educate yourself:

Schools Matter: Search results for Arne Duncan

From Greg Palasts:
Hoops versus Hope

The anti-union establishment has a second stringer on the bench waiting in case Klein is nixed: Arne Duncan. Duncan, another lawyer playing at education, was appointed by Chicago's Boss Daley to head that city's train-wreck of a school system. Think of Duncan as "Klein Lite."

What's Duncan's connection to the President-elect? Duncan was once captain of Harvard's basketball team and still plays backyard round-ball with his Hyde Park neighbor Obama.

But Michelle has put a limit on their friendship: Obama was one of the only state senators from Chicago to refuse to send his children into Duncan's public schools. My information is that the Obamas sent their daughters to the elite Laboratory School where Klein-Duncan teach-to-the-test pedagogy is dismissed as damaging and nutty.

Mr. Obama, if you can't trust your kids to Arne Duncan, why hand him ours?

Lawyer Duncan is proud to have raised test scores by firing every teacher in low-scoring schools. Which schools? There's Collins High in the Lawndale ghetto with children from homeless shelters and drug-poisoned 'hoods. They don't do well on tests. So Chicago fired all the teachers. They brought in new ones - then fired all of them too: the teachers' reward for volunteering to work in a poor neighborhood.

It's no coincidence that the nation's worst school systems are run by non-experts like Klein and Duncan.

Obama certainly knows this. I know he knows because he's chosen, as head of his Education Department transition team, one of the most highly respected educators in the United States: Professor Linda Darling-Hammond of Stanford University.

So here we have the ludicrous scene of the President-elect asking this recognized authority, Dr. Darling-Hammond, to vet the qualifications of amateurs Klein and Duncan. It's as if Obama were to ask Michael Jordan, "Say, you wouldn't happen to know anyone who can play basketball, would you?"

Classroom Class War

It's not just Klein's and Duncan's empty credentials which scare me: it's the ill philosophy behind the Bush-brand education theories they promote. "Teach-to-the-test" (which goes under such pre-packaged teaching brands as "Success for All") forces teachers to limit classroom time to pounding in rote low-end skills, easily measured on standardized tests. The transparent purpose is to create the future class of worker-drones. Add in some computer training and - voila! - millions trained on the cheap to function, not think. Analytical thinking skills, creative skills, questioning skills will be left to the privileged at the Laboratory School and Phillips Andover Academy.

We hope for better from the daddy of Sasha and Malia.

Educationally, the world is swamping us. The economic and social levees are bursting. We cannot afford another Way-to-go Brownie in charge of rescuing our children.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:28 AM

5,945 posts, read 4,861,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamama Mia View Post
Personally, I like Arne Duncan, but I think there are many other more qualified educators.
Too bad you're offering this sage advice on a public internet forum after the fact.

You should have been making recommendations to Obama last month. That way, America wouldn't end up at the mercy of cronies, insiders, idealogues, and...

...oh, never mind.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Too bad you're offering this sage advice on a public internet forum after the fact.

You should have been making recommendations to Obama last month. That way, America wouldn't end up at the mercy of cronies, insiders, idealogues, and...

...oh, never mind.

You know what? It's not advice, just an opinion.
I love that everyone on C-D is suddenly the expert on Chicago politics and politicians. Some of us who live here are actually able to "see the trees in the forest."
Once again, just wait and see what you get. I'll check back with you in four years.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:33 PM

17,700 posts, read 35,564,770 times
Wasn't his latest scheme to get kids to work hard was to pay them for good grades??? I think he'll do much better as the big boss than the CPS boss. It's amazing he's lasted as long as he did! Kinda like he was just waiting ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections