U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2008, 05:18 PM

167 posts, read 403,319 times

Advertisements

Abortion has been legal for 35 years. Homesexuality has been in existence since the beginning of man. Why on earth does it have to be discussed over and over again? Because Carl Rove decided to bring in the Christian right and get them involved in Politics.
Rick Warren doesn't represent mainstream. He represents the general Christian Right Wing movement. Since Obama is a Christian man, I would have preferred that he would have chosen a not so well known icon who represented mainstream.

Quite frankly, the Right Wing Christian movement is more concerned over homosexuality and abortion, than the true real issues that face our society. Employment, Affordable Health Care for all, Affordable Education. Our world is in a crisis and it is not due to abortion or homosexuality or marriage between the same sex, but it is about people being able to provide their families with food and shelter, to be able to afford schooling for their children.

I think Rick Warren doesn't represent mainstream. Poor choice by Obama.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:40 PM

2,653 posts, read 4,708,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Hardly a hijack if I was quoting your post and answering it.

And yes, it really is that simple.
Did not mean to imply you were hijacking the thread, just did'nt want to get in a 15 post debate on gay marriage on this thread. Would be glad to debate you in another thread were such a discussionwould be on topic.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:00 PM
LML

7,109 posts, read 8,094,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Amen, Amen. I may never meet you in person but we will undoubtedly spend eternity together. Everyone may be surprised about who we do and don't see at that final day but one thing is certain there will be much rejoicing.

I think there is a lot of truth to that statement. Even the Lord said as much when he talked about those who do good for "the least of these." Let's face it, if it were not for His grace and mercy, none of us would make it.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:08 PM

I hate to break it to alot of people here, but Rick Warren is hardly some hard right zealot. In many conservative Christain circles he is considered a "liberal" who preaches low involvement "cafeteria christianity" to "seekers".

Warren is one of the most progressive of the major protestant figures in America today. He spends alot of time raising awareness about Aids, 3rd world poverty and enviromental awareness in generally conservative Christain circles that did not adress the issue in the past. Lastly, he's probably the closest thing to a celebrity in modern theological circles. He has been pegged as the next Billy Graham. His positions on Abortion, Gay Marriage, etc. are solidly in the mainstream of the country's religous leadership and even the general population.

All of this makes him a natural choice to give a prayer at the inauguration.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:13 PM

7,208 posts, read 8,360,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
I hate to break it to alot of people here, but Rick Warren is hardly some hard right zealot. In many conservative Christain circles he is considered a "liberal" who preaches low involvement "cafeteria christianity" to "seekers".

Warren is one of the most progressive of the major protestant figures in America today. He spends alot of time raising awareness about Aids, 3rd world poverty and enviromental awareness in generally conservative Christain circles that did not adress the issue in the past. Lastly, he's probably the closest thing to a celebrity in modern theological circles. He has been pegged as the next Billy Graham. His positions on Abortion, Gay Marriage, etc. are solidly in the mainstream of the country's religous leadership and even the general population.

Rick Warren is a fundie pure and simple. I just heard him described on Olbermann's show as "Jerry Falwell in a Hawaiian shirt." How true.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Rick Warren is a fundie pure and simple. I just heard him described on Olbermann's show as "Jerry Falwell in a Hawaiian shirt." How true.
Yeah, Olberman's a real fair judge of peole he does not agree with. Also a recognized expert on modern american theology and religous culture.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:19 PM

7,208 posts, read 8,360,942 times
Quote:
Yeah, Olberman's a real fair judge of peole he does not agree with. Also a recognized expert on modern american theology and religous culture.

But you are? Telling us how Rick Warren is actually a moderate and his beliefs are mainstream. Give me a break, the only one you're fooling is yourself and maybe some others that believe in religious fairy tales.

BTW, that quote describing Warren did not come from Olbermann

Old 12-18-2008, 06:29 PM

167 posts, read 403,319 times
Quote:

Conservative Fundamentalist hard right, Rick Warren? Intolerance, and opinionated Jerry Falwell in a Hawaiian church, Rick Warren.

There are ways to reach out with Rick Warren other than given him the position of the prayer inauguration.

The mainstream support Homosexuality and same sex partnership and marriages. The mainstream support pro choice.

You hate to break it to me? These words you typed are foolish.

I was given Rick Warren's book and I found it so boring, . He might have sold millions of books, but how much did that book change those lives that read it? Over the last few years, I have only seen hate and bigotry and pointing fingers by the Christian Right Radicals. Phooey, it is time to allow people to do what they feel is right for them, without Government Intervention and Religious folks stepping in and telling us their Righteous opinions. People will pursue their happiness, no matter what others think.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:31 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,738,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Obama won quite handily this last time without the support of the religious right. Unless he completely changes his spots, he's never going to get their support either..... So why cater to them now?

I expect Obama to govern from the center, I have no illusions about that...but is it too much to ask for Obama to get a preacher, for this historic inauguration, that doesn't anger a significant portion of his base?
Which base his old or new one. At one time he represented a very liberal district in Illinois, then he represented the liberal state of Illiinois. Now he is the POTUS and represents a nation that is majority Christian of both sides of the aisle. What the matter with that. His base is all of us and he is wanting to be the president of all of us. For that we should be thankful and yes for many of us it does show the hand of God at work.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:37 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,738,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I don't think anybody should be conducting religious excersise at the swearing in of a public official.
Then it wouldn't be a swearing in service if the do you solemnly swear was not to God.
Raymond Sult Online: Do you solemnly swear . . . (http://www.sultex.servehttp.com/blog/2005/12/do-you-solemnly-swear.html - broken link)
I encourage you to read the list of names below. Each of these men have a few things in common.

1: They were each the leader of the Free World

2: They were each the leader of the most powerful country in the world.

3: They were each the leader of the greatest democracy in the world.

4: They each took the same oath of office. That oath stated:

"I do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States

MOST IMPORTANTLY:
The oath of office was taken and sworn to with their hand on a Bible.

YES! A BIBLE

So whats new?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or