U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2008, 06:41 PM

29,740 posts, read 34,767,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
Is that an indirect thank you? It sure is an eye-opener for me, and once again it helps me appreciate the thoughtful Obama supporters such as yourself, no matter how few there are.
Direct

Old 12-18-2008, 06:42 PM

7,208 posts, read 8,368,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Which base his old or new one. At one time he represented a very liberal district in Illinois, then he represented the liberal state of Illiinois. Now he is the POTUS and represents a nation that is majority Christian of both sides of the aisle. What the matter with that. His base is all of us and he is wanting to be the president of all of us. For that we should be thankful and yes for many of us it does show the hand of God at work.
When I speak of Obama's base, I'm referring to the people who elected him. Believe it or not, that includes the gay community..millions of whom Obama has offended by choosing the intolerant homophobic Warren.

As for the election, I believe we saw the hand of the people at work, an electorate that was tired of eight years of Bush and the Republicans. No deity, real or imagined, was needed for that.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:47 PM

2,653 posts, read 4,713,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasulady View Post
Conservative Fundamentalist hard right, Rick Warren? Intolerance, and opinionated Jerry Falwell in a Hawaiian church, Rick Warren.

There are ways to reach out with Rick Warren other than given him the position of the prayer inauguration.

The mainstream support Homosexuality and same sex partnership and marriages. The mainstream support pro choice.

You hate to break it to me? These words you typed are foolish.

I was given Rick Warren's book and I found it so boring, . He might have sold millions of books, but how much did that book change those lives that read it? Over the last few years, I have only seen hate and bigotry and pointing fingers by the Christian Right Radicals. Phooey, it is time to allow people to do what they feel is right for them, without Government Intervention and Religious folks stepping in and telling us their Righteous opinions. People will pursue their happiness, no matter what others think.
That's "in a Hawaiian Shirt" - at least get your slanders right.

If so many americans support gay partnerships why do 5 states have civil union laws and 45 do not? How many Gay Marriage bans have passed in ballot inititives over the last 3 years? How come MA, one of the most liberal states in the union had to keep the issue off the ballot to get the law on the books?

Support for abortion is mild at best. It is essentailly a 50/50 issue with the vast middle conflicted over which position they agree with.

Many people with political axes to grind, funds to raise or cheering sections to appease take shots at Warren because he is a prominent christain figure, but he is hardly the caricature you make him out to be.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:49 PM

Default Obama is very much a Christian

Lordy oh lordy. It appears that some of my fellow Bots may have actually believed the Fringo Wrong when they claimed Obama was a Muslim. It appears that unlike most of his supporters we realized that Barack was a devout Christian. Many of us supported him because we knew his faith was deep and that he would bring compassionate Christianity to the White House. I wonder how many of those who now express outrage at the decision to invite Pastor Rick bothered to listen/watch the Saddlebrook discussion? If you had you would have realized that Obama and Warren agreed on more then they disagreed on and that the Republican and Democratic candidates named McCain/Palin and Obama/Palin shared a major common ground in their faith and willingness to put their lives in the hands of he who created us all.
Yes HE and thats why it is Our Father for we are the fruit of God's love for us each and every day. So while some pout the vast majority of Americans wil at some time over the next couple of weeks give thanks and prayer at this time of the year that is special for so many religions that now call America home.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:52 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,584,561 times
Good! We ALL need all the prayers we can get!

Old 12-18-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
When I speak of Obama's base, I'm referring to the people who elected him. Believe it or not, that includes the gay community..millions of whom Obama has offended by choosing the intolerant homophobic Warren.

As for the election, I believe we saw the hand of the people at work, an electorate that was tired of eight years of Bush and the Republicans. No deity, real or imagined, was needed for that.
Some see God's will in Obama win -- chicagotribune.com
Rev. Joseph Lowery, president emeritus of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, which he co-founded with King, said leaders know when they have been divinely inspired and they cannot "stay the course" unless they are commissioned by God.

"I felt it in my bones that this was what God wanted," Lowery, 87, said of his civil rights work. "We were called by God to preach the word and to minister. Obama was not called to preach, but he was called to lead

One could argue that those discussed in the above article are the strongest part of his base.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post

Bishop Cousin set spiritual tone for Obama’s acceptance speech at election night rally (http://www.chicagodefender.com/article-2509-bishop-cousin-set-spiritual-tone-for-obamarss-acceptance-speech-at-election-night-rally.html - broken link)

Each step took Rev. Philip R. Cousin Sr. closer to the podium and a sea of 250,000 people who had gathered at Grant Park on election night to witness history.

The call came unexpectedly to do the prayer for Obama. And yet, it was an opportunity that Cousin had spent a lifetime preparing for.

Reflecting upon this miraculous moment, Cousin said President-elect Obama’s victory has special meaning for all Americans, especially for those whose faith is rooted in African Methodism.

“We should never let go of our dreams and never lose sight of our heritage,” Cousin said. “I’m certain that this is a message to let us know that God is still in charge.”

The Rev. William Cooper Jr. is pastor of Macedonia A.M.E. Church in Boca Raton, Fla

Old 12-18-2008, 07:04 PM

7,208 posts, read 8,368,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Some see God's will in Obama win -- chicagotribune.com
Rev. Joseph Lowery, president emeritus of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, which he co-founded with King, said leaders know when they have been divinely inspired and they cannot "stay the course" unless they are commissioned by God.

"I felt it in my bones that this was what God wanted," Lowery, 87, said of his civil rights work. "We were called by God to preach the word and to minister. Obama was not called to preach, but he was called to lead

One could argue that those discussed in the above article are the strongest part of his base.

There's a big difference between the admirable Rev. Lowery and the intolerant Rev. Warren.

In 2006, at Coretta Scott King's funeral, Dr. Lowery received a standing ovation when he remarked before four U.S. Presidents in attendance:
We know now there were no weapons of mass destruction over there. But Coretta knew and we know that there are weapons of misdirection right down here. Millions without health insurance. Poverty abounds. For war billions more but no more for the poor!

Joseph Lowery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-18-2008, 07:15 PM

Perhaps the Wrong were not the only ones who failed to read the Obama web site to have a clearer understanding of the man void of stereotypes and misperceptions. It appears that some of his supporters may not have either.
Barack Obama and Joe Biden: The Change We Need | Faith

In June of 2006, Senator Obama delivered what was called the most important speech on religion and politics in 40 years. Speaking before an evangelical audience, Senator Obama candidly discussed his own religious conversion and doubts, and the need for a deeper, more substantive discussion about the role of faith in American life.

http://www.barackobama.com/pdf/ObamaonFaith.pdf

God is constantly present in our lives, and this presence is a source of hope.
“Hope in the face of difficulty, hope in the face of uncertainty, the audacity of hope: In the end, that is
God's greatest gift to us, the bedrock of this nation, a belief in things not seen, a belief that there are better
days ahead.” – Democratic National Convention Keynote Address

As Joshua built on the work of Moses, leaders of today – the ‘Joshua Generation’ – must
build of the foundation of previous generations to move our nation forward.
“The final thing that I think the Moses generation teaches us is to remind ourselves that we do what we do
because God is with us. You know, when Moses was first called to lead people out to the Promised
Land…the Lord said I will be with you. Throw down that rod. Pick it back up. I'll show you what to do.
The same thing happened with the Joshua generation.
Joshua said, you know, I'm scared. I'm not sure that I am up to the challenge. The Lord said to him,
every place that the sole of your foot will tread upon, I have given you. Be strong and have courage, for I
am with you wherever you go. Be strong and have courage. It's a prayer for a journey. A prayer that kept
a woman in her seat when the bus driver told her to get up, a prayer that led nine children through the
doors of that Little Rock school, a prayer that carried our brothers and sisters over a bridge right here in
Selma, Alabama. Be strong and have courage.” -Address to Brown Chapel A.M.E. Church, Selma,
Alabama, on the Anniversary of Bloody Sunday.

We are a nation of many faiths and of those with no faith at all. The religious practices of all must be respected.
“Given the increasing diversity of America's population, the dangers of sectarianism have never been greater. Whatever we once were, we are no longer just a Christian nation; we are also a Jewish nation, a Muslim nation, a Buddhist nation, a Hindu nation, and a nation of nonbelievers.” - Call to Renewal Keynote Address

“Pastors, friends of mine like Rick Warren and T.D. Jakes, are wielding their enormous influences to confront AIDS, Third World debt relief, and the genocide in Darfur. Religious thinkers and activists like our good friend Jim Wallis and Tony Campolo are lifting up the Biblical injunction to help the poor as a means of mobilizing Christians against budget cuts to social programs and growing inequality…Across the country, individual churches like my own and your own are sponsoring day care programs, building senior centers, helping ex-offenders reclaim their lives, and rebuilding our gulf coast in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.” – Call to Renewal Keynote Address

NOTICE HE SAID FRIENDS OF MINE LIKE RICK WARREN

So my fellow Bots are some of you saying you had not read his web site or his writings or the underpinnings of who he is and why so many others embraced him as being a child of God who understood the call to service?

Old 12-18-2008, 07:16 PM

8,998 posts, read 13,079,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
His strongest supporters are a bunch of left wing radicals. He needs to A) not make the right completely hate him B) not abandon the 15% of his vote who are actually republican and hated Bush and C) the moderate libs who make up the large majority of his voting bloc. No one really cares about the radical factions on the far left and far right. this country is centrist. Obama knows this and is why he is making his appointments likewise and trying to bring the country together. I, as a conservative am warming up to him because of the centrism shown so far.
Why not have a moderate speaker then rather than someone from the far right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or