Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2008, 03:15 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times

Advertisements

Pastor Rick Warren defends invite to inauguration - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081221/ap_on_re_us/warren_speech;_ylt=AuolKo5wl6JeARtJoCZbyHVH2ocA - broken link)

"Warren has won kudos from some liberal quarters by focusing less on traditional conservative issues such as abortion and gay rights, and instead calling on evangelical leaders to devote more attention to eradicating poverty, fighting AIDS in Africa, expanding educational opportunity for the marginalized, and global warming."

Old 12-21-2008, 05:13 AM

37,174 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Pastor Rick Warren defends invite to inauguration - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081221/ap_on_re_us/warren_speech;_ylt=AuolKo5wl6JeARtJoCZbyHVH2ocA - broken link)

"Warren has won kudos from some liberal quarters by focusing less on traditional conservative issues such as abortion and gay rights, and instead calling on evangelical leaders to devote more attention to eradicating poverty, fighting AIDS in Africa, expanding educational opportunity for the marginalized, and global warming."

Being a preacher is how he makes a living, and he does what he has to do.

He may also have some good points in spite of that.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Being a preacher is how he makes a living, and he does what he has to do.

He may also have some good points in spite of that.
I think he's got his slimy side and he tries to please/avoid both sides of the political arguments, but here's a little descriptive sketch:
Pastor Rick Warren: New breed evangelicals not liberal

The Religious Right doesnt like or trust him either, not just because of the Obama association; they've seen him for years as a new-age feel-good type philosopher, not as a teacher of the Christian Bible. Also, some criticize him for his approach to the issues listed in the quote above - "eradicating poverty, fighting AIDS in Africa, expanding educational opportunity for the marginalized, and global warming" - which they think shows a suspiciously lefty proclivity.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:59 AM

37,174 posts, read 19,200,869 times
As I said, he's a preacher and does what he has to do.

Preachers, politicians, lawyers, and editors make their livings by dividing people into opposing groups and being supported by one side of the division.

If everyone got up this morning healthy, happy, employed, and tolerant of the foibles of their fellow humans and willing to allow all adults to make their own personal decisions, there would be no reason for the exsistence of any of the above groups, and they know it.

Christ was no stranger to controversy. I wonder how long he would last in Saddleback Church (or any other!) after he told the congregants to give away all their money for the benefit of the poor?

Old 12-21-2008, 06:27 AM

Quote:

Preachers, politicians, lawyers, and editors make their livings by dividing people into opposing groups and being supported by one side of the division.

If everyone got up this morning healthy, happy, employed, and tolerant of the foibles of their fellow humans and willing to allow all adults to make their own personal decisions, there would be no reason for the exsistence of any of the above groups, and they know it.

Christ was no stranger to controversy. I wonder how long he would last in Saddleback Church (or any other!) after he told the congregants to give away all their money for the benefit of the poor?
I know...that's how you know whether you're in the right church. Would Jesus fit in here?

"If everyone got up this morning..." well it would thin out the greedy-rat herd for sure. How it should be...

Old 12-21-2008, 06:55 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,524,262 times
As an atheist myself, I would rather that there be no invocation during Obama's inaugural.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:07 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,219,750 times
I think you guys may be bashing on Rick Warren just for the sake of not liking pastors.

He gives away 90% of his income. He calls it reverse tithing.

I'd venture a guess that there's not one single member on this forum who does that.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:10 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
I think you guys may be bashing on Rick Warren just for the sake of not liking pastors.
No.

Quote:
He gives away 90% of his income. He calls it reverse tithing.

I'd venture a guess that there's not one single member on this forum who does that.
That doesn't make him not a hate-monger.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:15 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:

I agree! Great words , worth repeating:
"""Preachers, politicians, lawyers, and editors make their livings by dividing people into opposing groups and being supported by one side of the division.

If everyone got up this morning healthy, happy, employed, and tolerant of the foibles of their fellow humans and willing to allow all adults to make their own personal decisions, there would be no reason for the exsistence of any of the above groups, and they know it.""

Old 12-21-2008, 07:17 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,219,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
No.

That doesn't make him not a hate-monger.
Hate Monger?

I don't see hate coming from him. I do, however, see a LOT of hatred seething from some of the members here.

Geez, I'm not a huge Rick Warren fan, but I don't have to call him names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections