Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2008, 08:44 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,119,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
I'm part of the GLBTQ community and I'm not praising him.
Then perhaps you are not aware of the work he does with the Gay community - because it is a fact he gets high marks from the Community

Old 12-21-2008, 08:45 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,499,783 times
BTW, what happened to all the Obama detractors who said he was a Muslim?

The sad thing about having to wear your religion on your sleeve to win votes is that you get caught in a bind like Obama is currently in. My hunch is Obama's choice of Warren is nothing more than an attempt to neutralize early on in his term any criticism of being anti-Christian or anti-religious. That frees Obama to pursue his progressive/liberal economic and political agenda. I would say it is a clever Machiavellian tactical move, one of the compromises Obama has to make to govern effectively. Besides, what is an invocation anyway? It's a useless ritualistic act - meant to pacify the ignorant and superstitious among us. Warren's role is largely symbolic - it doesn't affect policy making.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
It depends on what they disagree on.
I disagree.

People can disagree - on all kinds of topics / areas, yet still respect the other person - respect their opinion.

Respect does not necessarily equal agree with -

Old 12-21-2008, 08:57 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,064,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
BTW, what happened to all the Obama detractors who said he was a Muslim?

The sad thing about having to wear your religion on your sleeve to win votes is that you get caught in a bind like Obama is currently in. My hunch is Obama's choice of Warren is nothing more than an attempt to neutralize early on in his term any criticism of being anti-Christian or anti-religious. That frees Obama to pursue his progressive/liberal economic and political agenda. I would say it is a clever Machiavellian tactical move, one of the compromises Obama has to make to govern effectively. Besides, what is an invocation anyway? It's a useless ritualistic act - meant to pacify the ignorant and superstitious among us. Warren's role is largely symbolic - it doesn't affect policy making.
Interesting post. Let's hope it doesn't affect policy making, hope NO religion influences policy making....

Where ARE all those who said Obama was a Muslim????

Old 12-21-2008, 09:00 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,117,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I disagree.

People can disagree - on all kinds of topics / areas, yet still respect the other person - respect their opinion.

Well, I'm not willing to just give anyone my respect.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:01 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,117,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
I like that interpretation of it. It doesn't make me comfortable, but I guess I never will be.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:02 AM

36,819 posts, read 18,729,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I disagree.

Best post I've seen in a while, including some of mine.

Thank you.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Well, I'm not willing to just give anyone my respect.
And, that is fine.

But, like I mentioned, others within the Gay Community DO RESPECT and praise Pastor Warren for his work to help the Gay community.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:17 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,499,783 times
Quote:
I like that interpretation of it. It doesn't make me comfortable, but I guess I never will be.
It's important to distinguish between symbolism and substance. The latter is more important IMHO. If we can't distinguish one from the other, we'll go nuts. Religious people are the ones who are big on symbolism hence the constant demand by Christian fundies to put the 10 Commandments on courthouses in the South, even though doing that has zero effect on the delivery of justice.

George W. Bush had a Christian invocation, yet he pursued some of the most brutal and anti-human foreign and domestic policies in a generation.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:46 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,904,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
While the Gay community looks down on Pastor Warren, the key question is where does he stand with God? His role in the ceremony is one to ask God to look upon President Elect Obama and this country favorably and to help Obama to guide us successfully as our POTUS. Please challenge his appropriateness on the basis of his Godly resume and not his Gay resume. It is Obama who is seeking the blessing and support that day and not the Gay community. Obama has the right to select those who he thinks carry themselves in a Godly way and he has done that. Pastor Warren as a Christian can probably only be evaluated by Christians who understand and accept. Obama does and he is comfortable with Pastor Warren and that says it all for this Obama supporter.

To my Atheist friends all I can say is:

"It's a Godly thing you wouldn't understand it".
Much respect!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections