U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2008, 08:11 PM

38,854 posts, read 20,126,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
fizbin well you have to understand where this outrage is coming from. Obama has embraced the LGBT community even in his speech on the night of the election. To choose Warren who has compared gays to incest behavior and other things is literally a slap in the face. He could have made a better choice.
Why is everything about appeasing the gay/homosexual lobby? Especially when you only make up approx 10 percent of the population?

Old 12-21-2008, 08:19 PM

1,229 posts, read 2,978,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
fizbin well you have to understand where this outrage is coming from. Obama has embraced the LGBT community even in his speech on the night of the election. To choose Warren who has compared gays to incest behavior and other things is literally a slap in the face. He could have made a better choice.
I well understand where this outrage is coming from (I live in the SF Bay Area) and appreciate why it is there, but it is much ado about almost nothing. Obama's choice was to give a 90 second sop to the religious right. Who would have been a better choice - they all think basically the same thing about gays???

It is 90 seconds of political theater and has nothing to do with policy. Get over it . . .

Old 12-21-2008, 08:20 PM

4,831 posts, read 6,183,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Why is everything about appeasing the gay/homosexual lobby? Especially when you only make up approx 10 percent of the population?
10% is a pretty funny made up statistic. It belongs with the, If you tell a lie long enough everyone forgets that it is a lie.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:22 PM

38,854 posts, read 20,126,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
10% is a pretty funny made up statistic. It belongs with the, If you tell a lie long enough everyone forgets that it is a lie.
What percentage do they make up then?

Old 12-21-2008, 08:27 PM

2,024 posts, read 3,769,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizbin View Post
Sorry - can't make it through that ponderous multi-offshoot thread to give my two cents.

Nothing on this story was all that surprising: the pick of Rick Warren in the first place and the backlash from the LGBT community (with Rachel Maddow being their MSM lead on this). By tossing this 90 second bone to Warren, Obama gets a small uptick in cred from the religious right without affecting policy whatsoever. The LGBT folks are suitably pissed, but are not going anywhere. And when the right opportunities arise Obama will help their cause (as long as they don't go overboard on this Warren thing).

I believe they call this 'politics' . . .
I tend to agree. Obama doesn't share Warren's views just because he chose him to say a prayer. I expect he will still fight for gay rights. I certainly don't expect that he will try to introduce a FMA like good ol' Bush did. I think we'll see a repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell at the very least. All the better. He'll help out the gay community and they'll support him. Sometimes people have to do something they don't want to in the short run in order to get more support to do something good in the long run. That's how I see Obama's decision.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:29 PM

2,214 posts, read 1,723,382 times
I thought that Obama was NOT in favor of same-sex marriage.

Am I missing something here?

Old 12-21-2008, 08:30 PM

4,182 posts, read 5,790,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Steve Young: Pastor Rick Warren Likens Gays To Pizza
"Just because I like pizza it doesn't mean I should marry it," said Warren. "Biologically, I am predisposed to enjoy the immaculate melding of mozzarella cheese, red sauce and thick crust baked to tasty perfection. [ad#med-square] But that doesn't mean I should enter into a lifelong commitment with Sicilian or plain, nor bed it down, nor
No one's asking Warren to marry pizza. But he shouldn't stop others from doing to pizza as they wish - especially if Warren can't prove any harm to himself resulting from the private acts of other people.

Moderator cut: Inappropriate

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 12-22-2008 at 05:54 AM..

Old 12-21-2008, 08:30 PM

2,024 posts, read 3,769,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Sorry, hasn't the GOP spent the past eight years pandering shamelessly to the Religious Right (including you)? Talk about hypocrisy. Ultra-right wing Christians make up less than 20% of the population but they have one of the loudest political voices in the country. And hey, what do you know? Obama is appeasing them for political purposes so he can help the gay community later on. Hopefully after he's elected to a second term he can finally give the Religious Right a BIG MIDDLE FINGER. That's less than they deserve.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:32 PM

4,046 posts, read 5,326,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
It's ridiculous like any other statistic related to orientation. It's impossible to tell how many people are members of the GLBTQ community. Yet another we've been over innumerable times on this forum.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:34 PM

1,229 posts, read 2,978,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
I thought that Obama was NOT in favor of same-sex marriage.

Am I missing something here?
If you think that Obama is going to be the bulwark against gay marriage then you have not been paying attention. Go back to Politics 101 . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or