U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2008, 08:21 AM

4,182 posts, read 5,786,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
You mean like some people stop their proclivity for fatty foods, promiscuity, alcohol and drugs by formal programs, others by accepting Christ in their life and others just on their own. Regardless of why they stop their harmful desires they still stop them.
Homosexuality is not a disease that you need to subject the "sufferer" to a "rehab program" for treatment. This idea that homosexuality is a lifestyle choice (or a sin, to put it in religious terms that Christians like to use) is a throwback to the idea that schizophrenia is a sign of demon possession, or that leprosy is a curse from God.

Ask for forgiveness, change your life, accept Jesus Christ as lord and savior - and all these maladies will go away. That's your point, isn't it? Well unfortunately, it isn't that simple. Exorcism doesn't cure mental illness and doesn't eradicate leprosy. Science does. Yes, science or specifically, the scientific method - that anti-religious non-faith based system of thought that has brought you the wonders of modern living that you take for granted today.

Let's hear what science has to say about homosexuality. There is much evidence that homosexuality has a genetic basis Why Gays Don't Go Extinct | LiveScience Educate yourself.

BTW let me just say this: I work in the medical profession. I have met many Christian fundamentalist patients who swear that they can cure their diseases through faith and prayer and ignore my advice. But when push comes to shove, when these people are finally gasping for air and are about to die, they come whimpering to our ER asking to receive the full treatment that science has to offer them.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:37 AM

21,044 posts, read 19,509,470 times
Well I'll give the TOPIC another try:

While I disprove of Warren and all the other unnecessary religious bs that will be displayed at least it is

O B A M A' S

inauguration!!!!!!

and NOT McCain's.........

So whether you hate gays or not it doesn't matter....OBAMA won, he will be President!

Old 12-22-2008, 09:54 AM

18,052 posts, read 10,077,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post

BTW let me just say this: I work in the medical profession. I have met many Christian fundamentalist patients who swear that they can cure their diseases through faith and prayer and ignore my advice. But when push comes to shove, when these people are finally gasping for air and are about to die, they come whimpering to our ER asking to receive the full treatment that science has to offer them.
It is amazing that when offered the chance to finally go to Heaven they want to postpone it.

Doesn't say much for their faith.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:50 AM

2,024 posts, read 3,767,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
It is amazing that when offered the chance to finally go to Heaven they want to postpone it.

Doesn't say much for their faith.
I've never understood that. I'm not religious and I've accepted death as inevitable at some point and I'm not scared. Since I don't think there's an afterlife that's just more incentive to do everything possible while I'm still alive to have a good life. You'd think that people who believe they'll have a heavenly eternal afterlife with their God would be more willing and/or eager to die than people who believe that life just ends when you die. Hmm, quite interesting, I really wonder about the psychology behind that...

Old 12-22-2008, 01:43 PM

27,903 posts, read 34,340,394 times
Quote:

And I have seen the most devote atheist cry out for god under the same conditions.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:55 PM
LML

7,109 posts, read 8,098,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
And I have seen the most devote atheist cry out for god under the same conditions.

As the saying goes; There are no atheists in fox holes.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:03 PM

4,182 posts, read 5,786,724 times
Quote:
In what capacity did you witness such "devote" atheists?

Old 12-22-2008, 03:11 PM

7,208 posts, read 8,364,443 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
As the saying goes; There are no atheists in fox holes.

Not Carl Sagan..

his wife Ann Druyan writes, "Contrary to the fantasies of fundamentalists, there was no deathbed conversion"

Carl Sagan Funeral Eulogy - Famous eulogies

Old 12-22-2008, 03:15 PM

Contrary to popular belief I didn't personally know Carl Sagan.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
In what capacity did you witness such "devote" atheists?
You present a story on the net and then someone replies to you and you turn around and question it. I was claiming to know of at least one person your claiming to know droves. Can't take what I said at face value because it devalues your "story".

Brain tumors aren't fun by the way but thanks for caring enough to question the "capacity"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or