U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 07:41 AM

2,214 posts, read 1,722,678 times

Advertisements

I think they honestly thought Obama was their honey - the man in their pocket. And it's beginning to look like he's a centrist, not a leftist. Shock and dismay!

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 12-23-2008 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: Removed quote from post that doesn't exist

Old 12-23-2008, 08:31 AM

5,027 posts, read 5,529,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
I think they honestly thought Obama was their honey - the man in their pocket. And it's beginning to look like he's a centrist, not a leftist. Shock and dismay!
The "Obama is a leftist" was a right-wing scare tactic. We leftists knew all along that Obama was a centrist Democrat - no different really than Hillary Clinton. We will fight Obama any time he tries to seek the middle ground with the far right - that's how the game is played.

Moderator cut: Discuss topic, not posters

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 12-23-2008 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: Fixed quote to reflect current version

Old 12-23-2008, 08:39 AM

7,208 posts, read 8,366,514 times
Take a look at the inflammatory language (since removed) at the Saddleback (Warren's church) web site ..."someone unwilling to repent of their homosexual lifestyle would not be accepted as a member of Saddleback"

Rick Warren explicitly bans "unrepentant" gays from membership in his church

Old 12-23-2008, 08:52 AM

2,214 posts, read 1,722,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Take a look at the inflammatory language (since removed) at the Saddleback (Warren's church) web site ..."someone unwilling to repent of their homosexual lifestyle would not be accepted as a member of Saddleback"
Does a church NOT have the right to determine who can, and cannot, be a member?

I may not like it, and may not agree. But that simply means that I'm not going to be a member of that church.

There are many churches where you cannot be a member unless you are baptized in their church. If you disagree with that teaching, you won't go there.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:19 AM

29,740 posts, read 34,764,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
The "Obama is a leftist" was a right-wing scare tactic. We leftists knew all along that Obama was a centrist Democrat - no different really than Hillary Clinton. We will fight Obama any time he tries to seek the middle ground with the far right - that's how the game is played.

Moderator cut: Discuss topic, not posters
Amen and oh so true. All one had to do was their OWN research and they to would have known.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:21 AM

7,208 posts, read 8,366,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
Does a church NOT have the right to determine who can, and cannot, be a member?

I may not like it, and may not agree. But that simply means that I'm not going to be a member of that church.

There are many churches where you cannot be a member unless you are baptized in their church. If you disagree with that teaching, you won't go there.

The bigot won't even allow gays, and presumably those that support equal rights for the LGBT community, to be a member of his church but he's supposed to be welcomed to the inauguration?..No way, the time for bigotry and intolerance is over.

The Warren choice is a major disappointment to millions who voted for Obama. If we wanted a member of the religious right holding a position of honor on the inaugural stand, we would have voted Republican. It's a big mistake and won't be forgotten anytime soon.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:

Rick Warren explicitly bans "unrepentant" gays from membership in his church

Yup they are welcome to join and participate and hopefully at some point will accept the tenets of the church and be eligible for membership. Seems very open and inviting to me and millions of others. If you haven't accepted Christ in your life why would you want to join?

Old 12-23-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
The bigot won't even allow gays, and presumably those that support equal rights for the LGBT community, to be a member of his church but he's supposed to be welcomed to the inauguration?..No way, the time for bigotry and intolerance is over.

The Warren choice is a major disappointment to millions who voted for Obama. If we wanted a member of the religious right holding a position of honor on the inaugural stand, we would have voted Republican. It's a big mistake and won't be forgotten anytime soon.
I thought their was no Left or Right America? No Democratic or Republican America? I guess Sarah was right to have a perception that Real American's can be defined by their politics and be recognized as such.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:26 AM

This thread is making me wonder what would happen if we had a Gay President? Would members of the Christian Right be safe? Would they be prosecuted or persecuted? Would the Gay President want to enact a final solution to rid the land of those who don't embrace their life style. Would Christians be allowed to worship as they see fit or would there be a defintion of appropriate religous belief and behavior? Pastor Warren is speaking so get over it and embrace the totality of that day and not one moment.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:29 AM

16,092 posts, read 36,512,043 times
Perhaps we should have had someone from Bob Jones University lead the invocation. Same insult, only to blacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or