U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 10:40 AM

29,740 posts, read 34,767,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Obama may say these things but the reality is very different. By choosing Warren all he's doing is giving him more credibility than he deserves. Does Obama honestly think that red America is now going to support him going forward? If he does, he's very naive and not the man I thought he was.

BTW, it's interesting to know that you're okay with homophobia, anti reproductive rights, torture, assassinating foreign leaders, etc. If nothing else, at least I know where you stand.

I didn't say I agree with those positons and which ones does Warren agree with. We are all Americans and whether we know or accept it children of our one common God. Thats all and our political beliefs may cause us to agree or disagree but our common destiny is with out doubt. So one Pastor Warren speaks on that day my friend (you still are) you can close your eyes and put your hands over your ears and say continually " I can't hear you" and when someone tells you he is done all will be ok and the universe will still be in alignment.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:40 AM

15,254 posts, read 16,775,120 times
If McCain had been elected, and invited the gay bishop of the Episcopal Church to give the invocation, everyone on the left would be forced to pause and think, "well, maybe he's not so bad after all." It wouldn't mean that McCain was an ardent supporter of gay rights, but it opens the door to the possibility that McCain would be listening to people who advocate for gay rights rather than demonizing them. It would have PO'd the far right, but the left would be singing his praises for his independence and open-mindedness. IMO, that's what Obama is up to here.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:44 AM

20,310 posts, read 19,424,408 times
Sounds like Obama has disappointed a few supporters already.
Relax. Give the man a chance. So this anti gay preacher is going to say the prayers. So what. Many prop 8 denouncers are against religion anyway so what does it matter?
My stand on Prop 8? Doesn't impact me so I am less concerned about that than I am say The Economy. The 2 wars we are in. and how much more will the stocks slide and hurt my profit shareing.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:52 AM

6,760 posts, read 10,412,707 times
This is too sweet!!!

The lefts biggest hero of all time has now chosen one of the biggest names in Evangelical Christianity, a group they hate more than anyone else, to pray for his inauguration. I bet its a damn neocon conspiracy!!!

Old 12-18-2008, 10:54 AM

2,653 posts, read 4,713,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
I'm baffled by this, TuborgP. I believe that you meant to say "I find it unbelievable that you would mock those who say Obama was born in Kenya ..." and so will assume that.

But your analogy is backwards. The people who say Obama was born in Kenya are operating on the principle of faith over that of proof. So I oppose that approach. Similarly, I oppose those who suggest that prayer works in spite of the fact that there is no proof. I look for fact, evidence, and reality in everything, and that applies to both Obama's birth certificate and prayer.

I couldn't care any less if someone prays. If you find value in it, that's your business, and I have nothing to say about it. But our society elevates prayer far beyond the personal. It's on our money and it's in our ceremonies. An exhortation to prayer ends every presidential pronouncement. The matter of having an invocation at the inauguration is a societal matter, rather than a personal one, as it is nearly impossible for one who doesn't accept prayer to ever be considered for the position of President.

So I stand firmly in reality when I reaffirm my previous statements.

PS Here's a good one.
Really?

Earlier you called Warren a "Right wing bigotted jerk" and I asked you how many of his sermons you had attended or how many of his books you have read. What's the first hand evidence you have examined to come to this conclusion?

I'm still waiting for an answer.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:56 AM

16,438 posts, read 19,088,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
This is a disturbing choice by Obama..Warren is a right wing homophobic preacher who helped pass prop 8. Warren equated gay marriage to incest, pedophilia and polygamy. Add to that he sandbagged Obama at the Saddleback forum.
So, maybe Rev Farrakhan? Mullah Omar? Oh wait, Joel Osteen! Imagine how many buckets they could fill in that size crowd!

Last edited by Bideshi; 12-18-2008 at 11:09 AM..

Old 12-18-2008, 10:56 AM

5,027 posts, read 5,530,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
This is too sweet!!!

The lefts biggest hero of all time has now chosen one of the biggest names in Evangelical Christianity, a group they hate more than anyone else, to pray for his inauguration. I bet its a damn neocon conspiracy!!!

Get over yourself. Since when is Obama "the left's biggest hero of all time?" He's always been a centrist, and he's always been recognized as a centrist. We leftists supported Gravel and Edwards and Kucinich.

You assume a lie and then laugh because reality doesn't match the lie you assumed. Pretty silly.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:58 AM

7,139 posts, read 13,161,125 times
Lotsa Scrooges so close to Christmas! I am as apprehensive as the next person about Obama at the helm, so what does it hurt for a preacher to say a few words over him? Maybe Someone out there will be listening.... As for the Prop 8 opponents, they are always going to be angry--it is just what they do.

Last edited by lilypad; 12-18-2008 at 11:15 AM..

Old 12-18-2008, 10:59 AM

5,027 posts, read 5,530,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
Really?

Earlier you called Warren a "Right wing bigotted jerk" and I asked you how many of his sermons you had attended or how many of his books you have read. What's the first hand evidence you have examined to come to this conclusion?

I'm still waiting for an answer.
There's plenty of evidence presented in this thread. Have you ignored them? I didn't feel a need to respond to you, just to point out redundant information.

Besides, your entire comment is based on a falacy. Why do I need to read a book by Warren to form an opinion of the man? Do I need to read an astrology book to know that it's bogus? Do I need to attend a sermon by the Grand Wizard to know that the KKK is evil?

What is your basis for making such a silly demand?

Old 12-18-2008, 11:02 AM

16,438 posts, read 19,088,771 times
Here is the real issue: why spend millions on the inauguration anyway? When Roosevelt was sworn in during WW2 he had the Chief Justice just walk across the street to the oval office and swear him in. He didn't think he should waste the taxpayer's money during difficult times on a ceremony. Aren't these difficult times economicaly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or