Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2008, 03:55 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,463,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Also, if you read the entire interview, he comes across as being much more balanced and thoughtful than he does in the part you excerpted.

Can we not turn from the tactics of the hate- and fear-mongers like Ann Coulter and her ilk and acknowledge that not everything is black and white or good and evil? People are often complicated and nuanced and capable of doing both things we believe to be good and compassionate and things that we disagree with.

Now now, no context allowed here. It interferes with the constitutional right to spew an ill-informed opinion.

If you do that again I'll have to rep you even harder.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:16 PM

37,165 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
Warren is asking the question that the pro-gay marriage side has not had an answer to - Where does it stop? Once you redefine marriage away from man & woman, where do you draw the line? It's a legitimate point.
It's real simple.

You define marriage as a relationship between any two consenting adults who wish to present themselves as married as a marriage, you record it as part of the public record, and everyone eats cheesecake and drinks champagne and makes merry.

This definition eliminates arranged marriages, pedophilia, and bestiality, and gives every adult the right to pursue his or her own happiness as provided for by our Constitution.

Questions?

Old 12-18-2008, 04:30 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,463,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
It's real simple.

You define marriage as a relationship between any two consenting adults who wish to present themselves as married as a marriage, you record it as part of the public record, and everyone eats cheesecake and drinks champagne and makes merry.

This definition eliminates arranged marriages, pedophilia, and bestiality, and gives every adult the right to pursue his or her own happiness as provided for by our Constitution.

Questions?
No, Its not that simple.

Let me know which of the 3 gazillion gay marriage threads you want to discuss this in & I'll meet you there to debate this. Let's not hijack this thread to do so.

The point for this thread is that upton was trotting out a tired old line from the gay marriage debate to try & discredit Warren. I was merely calling him on it.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:39 PM

37,165 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
No, Its not that simple.

Let me know which of the 3 gazillion gay marriage threads you want to discuss this in & I'll meet you there to debate this. Let's not hijack this thread to do so.

The point for this thread is that upton was trotting out a tired old line from the gay marriage debate to try & discredit Warren. I was merely calling him on it.
Hardly a hijack if I was quoting your post and answering it.

And yes, it really is that simple.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:56 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,108,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
It's clear that you disagree with him. (And, for the record, I do too.) But why does that mean that Obama should not have invited him to give the invocation? Did you think that voting for Obama meant that he would run all his decisions by you? If Obama invited the gay Episcopal bishop to give the invocation it would pi$$ off a bunch of people who think homosexuality is an abomination. Do you have a right not to be pi$$ed off but they don't?

Obama is making a point of being everyone's president. In that, he is very different from Bush, who took office with an "us vs. them" mentality and never gave a rat's a$$ about anyone who didn't vote for him or hold the views of the far right wing.

I think it will take some getting used to, but I'm not afraid to hear other people's views, if in the end it means less divisivness. It's going to be up to those of us who "won" in this election to reach out to those who lost. Otherwise in 8 years the pendulum will swing back and Sarah Palin or someone just like her will be elected president.
Wonderful, well thought out, hopeful. Hope this kind of thinking spreads. They won't let me rep you but please know that you have one coming.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:00 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
To reach across the aisle, he needs to choose a homophobic preacher, a lightening rod, outraging the gay community? There are no other acceptable preachers in America?

With the Warren choice, what he's doing is alienating some of his strongest supporters...He continues along this path, eventually he's going to find those that he took for granted are no longer there.
I don't think anybody should be conducting religious excersise at the swearing in of a public official.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:06 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I don't think anybody should be conducting religious excersise at the swearing in of a public official.
There is no reason not to have an invocation if the person being sworn in desires it. And, President-Elect Obama wants an invocation.

Then, there is the issue of tradition.

BTW, do you oppose the use of a Bible during the swearing in ceremony also?

Old 12-18-2008, 05:08 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,928,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
This thread is a great one. It is enabling all who tried to paint us Bots with one stroke to see how wrong they were. On some issues we agree and on some we disagree. I would just say that faith for billions of us on the planet is not an issue but a life reality.
Is that an indirect thank you? It sure is an eye-opener for me, and once again it helps me appreciate the thoughtful Obama supporters such as yourself, no matter how few there are.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:08 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,514,571 times
Quote:
Not liberals but Fringo's of the Left who can be as irrational as Fringo's of the Right.
Right on, basically we have about 4 radical left wackos posting on this thread and one or two right wing radicals posting. The vast majority are willing to concede a little in the interest of re uniting the nation, just as Obama is taking steps to. Who really cares about the bigoted far left and far right? Nobody needs that kind of hate. (Upton, happ and kootr, I am talking to you 3 specically)

Old 12-18-2008, 05:12 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,928,365 times
Quote:
Remember my friend, we are brothers not because we both support Obama but because Jesus died for OUR sins. That makes us brothers who share the same possibilities for hope and salvation.
Amen, Amen. I may never meet you in person but we will undoubtedly spend eternity together. Everyone may be surprised about who we do and don't see at that final day but one thing is certain there will be much rejoicing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections