Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 03:49 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,476,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Amazing how some people try to deny the obvious (that Iraq, a country which supported, harbored and funded terrorism and terrorists had members of al Qaeda in their country).
I listed only three...
three? Ansal al Islam is a group, not a person, and it's not identical to al Qaeda, and as I said, it operated in non-Saddam controlled territory. Abu Abbas and Abu Nidal were Palestinian guerrillas, not al Qaeda. They predated al Qaeda by oh, three decades?

Zarqawi really was with al Qaeda and really was in Saddam's Iraq. That makes you 1 for 4. I hope getting one terrorist was worth 4,000 American lives and a trillion or so dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 04:53 AM

37,174 posts, read 19,189,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Amazing how some people try to deny the obvious (that Iraq, a country which supported, harbored and funded terrorism and terrorists had members of al Qaeda in their country).
I listed only three... there were many more. And don't forget Zarqawi... he was injured in Afghanistan and treated in a hospital in Baghdad!

Or maybe you're right... there were absolutely no terrorists in Iraq who belonged to al Qaeda.
You really need to google more.

There was a great deal of animosity between Saddam Hussein and Osama Bin Laden (remember him?). Saddam would not allow Bin Laden's operatives in Iraq, and if they were there and detected, they would have, in an old Southern euphemism, have "...gone away to visit relatives."

Al Quaeda was NOT in Iraq in any shape, form, or fashion until we occupied it. Our physical presence was viewed by Al Quaeda as a thoughtful act by George W. Bush, since there was no organized opposition to them after Saddam and they didn't have to go so far to kill Americans. Soldiers who are preoccupied with survival running around in a country where friends and foe all dress alike (remember Viet Nam?) are slow, fat rabbits who make excellent targets.

Had we finished the job we were promised would be done and Bin Laden had been captured or confirmed killed, that would have been the time to consider other projects. It's a doggoned shame that Afghanistan didn't have any oil reserves or W might have actually finished something positively for the first time in his life.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:18 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob View Post
Mike - good post!!!

Do you feel like the nation was misled into the war??? Or did Bush just make a stupid mistake?
Bush lied when he said Congress had the same information that he did. (also see "Resources" at bottom of the page)

Project for a New American Century - Statement of Principles

The New York Times - Bush Was Set on Path to War, British Memo Says

Bush Sought ‘Way’ To Invade Iraq?, O'Neill Tells '60 Minutes' Iraq Was 'Topic A' 8 Months Before 9-11 - CBS News

Old 12-21-2008, 05:53 AM

1,933 posts, read 1,825,032 times
Just wanted to add my penny to this GREAT forum that Mr. Bob started. I think GWB wanted to go into Iraq before he was awarded the election from a lack of something at the supreme court and that SOS in FL. What happened to the airplane loaded with US currency they retrieved from the bunkers and the gold in the museums in Iraq?? I doubt it will take historians long to blast/expose the truth of the last eight years.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:59 AM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
three? Ansal al Islam is a group, not a person, and it's not identical to al Qaeda, and as I said, it operated in non-Saddam controlled territory. Abu Abbas and Abu Nidal were Palestinian guerrillas, not al Qaeda. They predated al Qaeda by oh, three decades?

Zarqawi really was with al Qaeda and really was in Saddam's Iraq. That makes you 1 for 4. I hope getting one terrorist was worth 4,000 American lives and a trillion or so dollars.
If you really think there was only one al Qaeda terrorist in Iraq you probably wouldn't be able to understand or absorb any other info I post.
P.S. Don't forgot about Abdul Rahmin Yassin, the man who mixed the chemicals used in the 1993 World Trade Center bombing. He was hiding out in Iraq and was living in an apartment paid for by the Iraqi government and receiving a monthly salary- also paid for by the Iraqi government.

But do go ahead being more tolerant of Saddam than the U.S.!

Old 12-22-2008, 03:32 AM

1,648 posts, read 2,560,088 times
History already did, there are still a few retards who still support Bush and the war though.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:47 PM

442 posts, read 790,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by person View Post
History already did, there are still a few retards who still support Bush and the war though.
I personally never cared much for the Marxist academia that pollutes most public schools and universities in this country, so whether "history" (whatever that is) condemns this war or not is just a matter of splitting hairs.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:57 PM

442 posts, read 790,497 times
Look, people like Howard Zinn and Noam Chomsky will always strive to condemn US-led conflicts and actions. But since when have these "enlightened" activists been spokesmen for history as it exists? How about the interests of America?

Old 12-22-2008, 06:02 PM

2,159 posts, read 2,582,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperIncumbent View Post
I personally never cared much for the Marxist academia that pollutes most public schools and universities in this country, so whether "history" (whatever that is) condemns this war or not is just a matter of splitting hairs.
You can bet your last dollar that Bush cares a tremendous amount how history regards his administration...

Why do you think he has the 'legacy project' that his staff is actively working on to turn public opinion around and put the best spin on his time in office before he leaves???

Old 12-22-2008, 06:09 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,460,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperIncumbent View Post
Look, people like Howard Zinn and Noam Chomsky will always strive to condemn US-led conflicts and actions. But since when have these "enlightened" activists been spokesmen for history as it exists? How about the interests of America?

Cluelessness abounds. These dissidents are complaining about the anti-democratic interests (conservatives, wealthy, defense contractors) in the political arena, the fact that the people's will isn't being reflected in how the military is being deployed and how the nation's assets are being utilized.

Last edited by ParkTwain; 12-22-2008 at 06:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections