U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 12:35 PM

18,069 posts, read 10,100,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Maybe because he is wanting bigger government?
If it gets any bigger than W has made it, it's going to be eligble to become a state in its own right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 01:06 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,793,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero View Post
Interesting thought... Lincoln vs MLK... My pick would be Lincoln because he was the first milestone. MLK, in my eyes was the 2nd great mile stone and Barack is the final milestone.
We only get three milestones? I'm hoping this is just one of the first milestones, the beginning of many great things to come.

On CNN they say this is the first time someone's used the Lincoln Bible. That really surprises me--wonder why nobody's chosen it before? Personally I think Lincoln is a better choice than MLK because Lincoln was a president, and the occasion is a presidential inauguration. There will be plenty of important events in the future where Obama might use MLK's bible.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:16 PM

86,917 posts, read 102,388,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
They actually have quite a lot in common.

Maybe Obama is a reincarnation of Lincoln.
A lot of Illinois politicians think that of themselves, too.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:31 PM

31,385 posts, read 32,041,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
I also like the fact that a white man (Lincoln) who believed (at least in our history books) in equal rights for African Americans has his Bible used by the first African American president.
Just as a point of clarification, Lincoln did not believe in equal rights for Americans of African Descent.

“I have no purpose to introduce political and social equality between the white and the black races. There is physical difference between the two, which in my judgment will probably forever forbid their living together upon the footing of perfect equality.”

Abraham Lincoln 1858.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:21 PM

2,015 posts, read 4,999,518 times
Great choice of symbolism, just hope none of the sharp divisions in our country boils down to anything even resembling a Civil War.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:28 PM

1,992 posts, read 3,730,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Just as a point of clarification, Lincoln did not believe in equal rights for Americans of African Descent.

I have no purpose to introduce political and social equality between the white and the black races. There is physical difference between the two, which in my judgment will probably forever forbid their living together upon the footing of perfect equality.

Abraham Lincoln 1858.
I know that he did not. That is why I put the parenthetical expression, "at least in our history books."

Old 12-23-2008, 03:31 PM

8,449 posts, read 12,419,578 times
As a person who didn't vote for Obama and has been out spoken against him, I think it's historic that he's using Lincoln's bible.

From a man who freed the slaves to a man who's ancestors "might" have been slaves.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:24 PM

18,069 posts, read 10,100,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
As a person who didn't vote for Obama and has been out spoken against him, I think it's historic that he's using Lincoln's bible.

From a man who freed the slaves to a man who's ancestors "might" have been slaves.
It is highly doubtful that Obama had any slaves in his family unless they migrated a long way.

Most of the slaves from Africa came from the west coast, and the Portuguese slave traders didn't usually go inland to find them. They bought ther cargo from chiefs who had captured members of other tribes in battle and brought them to the coast to sell.

If there weren't enough to fill the ship after they bought all they could, they simply took the chiefs and their tribesmen who had come to sell their captives to add to the tally. If there still weren't enough, they sailed down to the next port of call.

Kenya would have been a thousand miles or more out of the way on a good day and too much trouble for the Portuguese to even consider.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:42 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,112,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
He could borrow Jefferson's.
Thomas Jefferson was a deist, not a muslim

Old 12-23-2008, 08:45 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,112,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post

Obama is all about symbolism. His campaign started where Abraham Lincoln started his campaign. His acceptance speech was held in Grant Park, (Chicago, IL) the site of the race riots during the Democratic Nat'l Convention in 1968...I know that there are more, I just cannot think of them. But, the Bible is very symbolic and I think that he is very cognizant of them all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections