Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 06:03 AM

37,164 posts, read 19,174,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Jefferson wrote his own version of the Bible with all miracles edited out.
Very true.

Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 07:20 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Very true.

Why?
Jefferson had too much time on his hands, if he re-wrote the Bible.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:23 AM

2,223 posts, read 2,218,116 times
Quote:
Jefferson also owned and studied a copy the Q'uran.
...so then, he was educated.

I have a Koran, and Book of Mormon, and New World Translation of the Bible - but I'm not a Muslim, a Mormon, or a Jehovah's Witness.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:42 AM

37,164 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
...so then, he was educated.

I have a Koran, and Book of Mormon, and New World Translation of the Bible - but I'm not a Muslim, a Mormon, or a Jehovah's Witness.
Don't have a book of Mormon, do own a Q'uran.

The comparitive study of religions can be fascinating.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:48 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Very true.

Why?
As a diest, he believed God took a "hands off" position after the act of creation. Miracles would mean intervention on God's part which was not compatible with Jefferson's beliefs. So, he wrote a bible to support his personal beliefs. He is not alone in that intellectual conceit. He was very intelligent and well read. It reminds me a bit of what King Agrippa (or was it Felix?)
said to the Apostle Paul : "Your great learning has made you mad..."

Old 12-24-2008, 10:35 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
WOW! I never knew that! I guess I'll have to rethink my position!
Please forgive us if we're boring you.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:29 AM

6,022 posts, read 7,826,282 times
Quote:
The biggest slave traders were the Arabs from the East side and African tribal chiefs. Europeans bought from coastal towns where slaves were assembled in slave markets for sale.
A.
eastern coast? your right about arabs though when europeans came they saw arabs lining up africans to the north this is one of the reason why you see african descended people in the middle east but since our country overlooks the historica aspect of arab enslavement of africans many dont know thousands of africans were ported to the middle east

B.
not completely true this is a european myth that people come to accept as truth.

slavery in africa is not the same as the slavery europeans did, in no way shape or form. tribal captures from rival tribes.

europeans also used divide and conquer techniques which worked in their favor.

lastly all slaves were sold many were in fact captured by europeans themselves.

after british abolished the slave trade in the atlantic americans continued to bring in slaves even when congress banned the importation of african slaves

Old 12-24-2008, 11:39 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Please forgive us if we're boring you.
You are forgiven, but not for boring me. I can't blame you for that. However, pointing out that Lincoln's 19th Century racial attitudes should not be viewed the same through 20th Century lenses much less one's from the 21st Century was irrelevant to the point. Further, this excuse is a bit tawdry, since Lincoln's attitude while contemporary appropriate wasn't exactly forward thinking and their were folks who were forward thinking in this regard at the time.

If I were to cite a president who was most responsible for the present status of Barack Obama, I would give credit to U.S. Grant who not only believed in equality but did far more to insure that it would be the law of the land.

PS - I am a huge Lincoln fan but being a fan isn't synonymous with overlooking their flaws.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:47 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,930,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
We only get three milestones? I'm hoping this is just one of the first milestones, the beginning of many great things to come.

On CNN they say this is the first time someone's used the Lincoln Bible. That really surprises me--wonder why nobody's chosen it before? Personally I think Lincoln is a better choice than MLK because Lincoln was a president, and the occasion is a presidential inauguration. There will be plenty of important events in the future where Obama might use MLK's bible.
I apologize for using the term milestone too loosely. In terms of equality, we can agree that the contrast between Lincoln and Obama is greater than MLK and Obama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
So then... If Obama is re-elected for a 2nd term, should he use MLKs Bible during his 2nd Inauguration?
Sure why not. Or he could use his own bible and maybe someone down the line will use his bible for their inauguration.

Old 12-24-2008, 05:54 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
WASHINGTON (AFP) – Barack Obama will take the oath as US president on the same Bible used to swear in president Abraham Lincoln, the committee planning his inauguration said in a statement Tuesday.

Very cool even if it's just symbolism.

Obama to take oath on Abe Lincoln's Bible - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20081223/pl_afp/uspoliticsobamainaugurationlincoln - broken link)
Few things are cooler -- or more inspirational -- than symbolism.

May Divine Providence bless President Obama, whose inauguration will be the symbolic fruit of the tree planted by Father Abraham some 144 years ago.

And -- a Merry Christmas to all! As Charles Dickens had Tiny Tim say: "God Bless Us --- Every One!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections