U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 07:38 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,731,347 times

Advertisements

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/12/...ricas/memo.php

"The president-elect is proving to be an elusive and frustrating target. He has defied attempts to be framed ideologically. His cabinet picks have won wide praise. An effort by the Republican National Committee to link Obama to the unfolding scandal involving Governor Rod Blagojevich of Illinois and the accusations that he tried to sell Obama's Senate seat was dismissed by no less a figure than John McCain, the Republican whom Obama beat for the presidency".

I am sure they must have someone who can keep up with POTUS Elect Obama.

"The Republican National Committee, which is in the midst of a battle over who will be its next chairman, appears to be having particular trouble in finding the right tone. It has continued a daily patter of attacks on Obama that it offered throughout the campaign, a strategy pushed by the chairman, Mike Duncan, but one that clearly does not have universal support".

I am sure they must have someone who can keep up with POTUS Elect Obama.

Maybe if they tried to just be decent American's they might be able to get some sort of legs under them. Ya think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 07:52 AM

17,700 posts, read 35,532,640 times
The republicans know that Obama will not repeat the mistakes of Bill Clinton, which makes them angrier than Dick Cheney being told "no".

They thought slick willie was slick? They thought Reagan was the teflon president ... HA!!!!

Old 12-24-2008, 08:09 AM

31,385 posts, read 31,978,856 times
Judging from the supercilious arguments posted around here, the Republican A team just doesn't exist.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:38 AM

5,134 posts, read 7,199,451 times
Default Is Obama our first geek President?

I mean that in a good way. Perhaps, the repubs don't know how the geek mind operates. On the flip side, he may be too cool to be a geek: he's athletic, a good dancer and he dresses well. By definition, John Quincy Adams was a geek. Amusing article.
Clip:
President-elect Barack Obama used to collect comic books, can't part with his BlackBerry, and once flashed Leonard "Mr. Spock" Nimoy the Vulcan "Live Long and Prosper" sign.
That and other evidence has convinced some of Obama's nerdier fans that he'll be the first American president to show distinct signs of geekiness. And that's got them as excited as a Tribble around a Klingon.
Obama is good at "repressing his inner geek, but you can tell it's there," especially when he goes into nuanced explanations of technical matters, said Benjamin Nugent, author of the book "American Nerd: The Story of My People."
"A geek is someone who has the knowledge of the geeky type stuff and has social graces," Blum said. "A nerd is someone who has the knowledge but not the social graces and a dork is someone who has neither."
By that definition Obama is a geek, not a nerd or dork, Blum said. Nerds are the type who live in their parents' basements until they're 45, whereas geeks are more normal, he said.
Print Story: Obama to boldly go where no geek has gone before - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081224/ap_on_go_pr_wh/obama_geek_in_chief/print;_ylt=AkaAF1SSKHY95J7eRyi69lsGw_IE - broken link)

Old 12-24-2008, 10:25 AM

20,815 posts, read 39,004,280 times
Obama is vastly brighter than constipated, heavy-handed, saggy jowled, slack-jawed GOP types like Fred Thompson, Jim Gilmore, Pat Robertson, Richard Shelby, Dick Cheney, Richard Nixon, Karl Rove, Brit Hume, et al. The whole bunch give me the creeps to just look at or listen to them. GOP types don't "get" Obama, or anything else, save for their own greed and arrogance. Pat Buchanan is the only one of them who gets anything. Ron Paul gets it, and got OUT of the GOP.

Bush doesn't have the intellect to be a patch on the ass of the pants that Obama wears. "Dim bulb" hardly describes Bush, he's a black hole that sucked the light out of this nation for 8 years. Obama has brilliance enough to brighten the world.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:38 AM

5,134 posts, read 7,199,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Obama is vastly brighter than constipated, heavy-handed, saggy jowled, slack-jawed GOP types like Fred Thompson, Jim Gilmore, Pat Robertson, Richard Shelby, Dick Cheney, Richard Nixon, Karl Rove, Brit Hume, et al. The whole bunch give me the creeps to just look at or listen to them. GOP types don't "get" Obama, or anything else, save for their own greed and arrogance. Pat Buchanan is the only one of them who gets anything. Ron Paul gets it, and got OUT of the GOP.

Bush doesn't have the intellect to be a patch on the ass of the pants that Obama wears. "Dim bulb" hardly describes Bush, he's a black hole that sucked the light out of this nation for 8 years. Obama has brilliance enough to brighten the world.
OT - Fred Thompson will be hosting O'Reilly's radio talk show nationwide. I believe starting March, '09.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:41 AM

20,815 posts, read 39,004,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
You'll be hearing more of Fred Thompson. He's going to take over O'Reilly's radio talk show nationwide.
Just about ANYONE would be an improvement over Bill O The Clown. Fred isn't all that bad, he just had NO platform for his "run" at the nomination, other than 'stay the course' which is a disaster of a platform.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:50 AM

4,176 posts, read 5,463,023 times
'Smart' Democrats have not done any better for America than 'dumb' Republicans. Loot at Jennifer Granholm (MI), Deval Patrick, Barney Frank (MA), Eliot Spitzer, Charles Schumer, Hillary Clinton, David Paterson (all from NY). Each of these people has at least one degree from an Ivy and the states they represent are all in bad shape financially. NY is considering a tax on everything, including iTunes, regular soft drinks and manicures.

IMO, book smarts has little (if anything) to do with effectiveness as a politician.

If Obama is so smart, why did he campaign on raising taxes on the people who (more of less) pay all the taxes and create all the jobs and giving 'tax cuts' to millions of people who pay no federal income taxes (and pay, essentially, none of the taxes and create no jobs)? Why, when Charlie Gibson told him that increased capital gains and dividends taxes lead to less revenues for the Government, did he still support raising these taxes in the interest of 'fairness?' He wanted to raise various other taxes as well: estate, windfall profits, FICA and refuses to lower corporate taxes. Who knows what will happen if he implements strict environmental regulations?

I'll agree that Ron Paul is the best candidate of the group mentioned above, Obama included. That said, he is still a member of the GOP though he disagrees with them on many issues. Even if he leaves the GOP, it's not like he's going to become a Democrat. One of Ron Paul's main arguments is that the Government needs to be reduced in size and spent less money so we can cut taxes for all. Ron Paul received strong ratings from the National Taxpayers Union (NTU) and Citizens Against Government Waste (CAGW), but the majority of others with similarly high ratings are Republicans not Democrats. Obama, Clinton, Durbin, Schumer, etc all received horrible ratings. If you're saying that Ron Paul is a true conservative unlike many members of the GOP, you're right. That doesn't mean he functions as a Democrat; not even close!

Old 12-24-2008, 10:56 AM

31,385 posts, read 31,978,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
If Obama is so smart, why did he campaign on raising taxes on the people who (more of less) pay all the taxes and create all the jobs and giving 'tax cuts' to millions of people who pay no federal income taxes (and pay, essentially, none of the taxes and create no jobs)?
Well, let's see...

No one's raised taxes but the unemployment rate is at a 26 year high, which leads me to scratch my head every time I read the above stated argument.

If there is no one with money to buy commodities and services, who will pay for the products and services which the "rich" create? I think as we are seeing right now, when the vast majority of people don't have money, they don't buy things and when they don't buy things all of those job creators you folks keep talking about, don't seem too capable of creating much in the way of jobs.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:09 AM

4,176 posts, read 5,463,023 times
I see your point but, as Ron Paul and Peter Schiff say, continuing to borrow and spend will devalue the dollar perhaps to the point that we're all f*****.

I don't think W's tax cuts have anything to do with the rising unemployment. The root cause of this weak economy is the crisis in the housing market. This has many causes including: i. low interest rates (governed by the FOMC), ii. Fannie and Freddie (which were not regulated properly and there is evidence that the GOP tried to reign them in while the Dems blocked it), iii. predatory lending practices, iv. securitization of these mortgages by the brokerage firms, v. people themselves buying homes they could not afford (amongst other causes).

The part about people buying goods and services is part of Schiff's argument. He says we borrowed and spent too much allowing for a 'phony' service based economy. He says that, if we borrow and spend even more (i.e. a second stimulus plan), it only postpones the pain and further devalues the dollar. His concern is inflation and, perhaps, hyperinflation. He likes analogies and once said that the US (whose problems are caused, in large part, by borrowing and spending) trying to borrow and spent its way out of this economic mess is like an obese person trying to get healthy by eating more. Remember, he was Ron Paul's economic adviser and is, by no means, a McCain or right-wing hack. He has been right all along since early in the W administration (at least).

YouTube - Tribute to Peter Schiff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or