U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-27-2008, 05:21 PM

37,788 posts, read 12,134,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
I grew up in a totally segregated city, and I have to fight racism still. I have never had prejudice toward African-Americans, but I have toward other races and social classes. We need to look at all areas of racism, not just black-white, as we move toward a less racist society. I even consider some of the "redneck" jokes and statements about Sarah Palin to be a form of racism. (Guilty) Any time we prejudge any group for any reason, it is wrong. We all need to learn to accept each person on his or her own merit. Like I said, I still fight this.
I think we are human and need to get past our stereotypes of different groups. On CD, I've heard so many inaccurate comments and name calling directed at both Dems and Republicans that it's no wonder we are clashing so much. Let's face it, both parties have their philosophies on how to run this nation and both have good intentions. Maybe if we were to get past partisanship, we can work collaboratively together to solve some of our pressing issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 05:24 PM

15,400 posts, read 18,084,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
The reason that the Dems do not openly demonstrate racism because they will alienate their African-American base. If AA decided to switch parties, then you will be hearing more racist comments coming out of the dem party because they were not the ones that abolished slavery nor supported the civil rights act. Your party has a more uglier racist history which trumps anything you can say about the Republican party.
I strongly disagree with all of these statements. However I do think racism continues to be an issue in every political party.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've had more than enough of this topic. I'm moving on to more interesting discussions.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:27 PM

13,181 posts, read 7,961,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Actually, I don't mean to give you a hard time, but I think you're incorrect about this. I think Obama did find Hillary's remarks racist. He chose to look beyond it, knowing that all's fair in the game of politics.

Obama's a pragmatic man who chooses to ignore racism when it serves him to do so. He would not have gotten so far if he had reacted every time he felt someone was racist.

Sen. Barack Obama told ABC News Monday there is nothing in Sen. Hillary Clinton’s record that would give him any cause for concern about her in terms of racial politics.

Asked how Obama interpreted two recent remarks by the Clintons that prompted an angry reaction from some in the Black community, Obama sought to damp down the racial dynamics of the controversy.

Many African Americans were offended when Hillary Clinton told an interviewer in New Hampshire, “Martin Luther King’s dream became a reality when Lyndon Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act of 1964.”

Some say she seemed to suggest that it took a white politician to fulfill a black man’s dream.

“I don’t think it was in any way a racial comment,” Obama told ABC News. “That’s something that has played out in the press. That’s not my view.”

So what's you answer to this Norm?

Old 12-27-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I strongly disagree with all of these statements. However I do think racism continues to be an issue in every political party.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've had more than enough of this topic. I'm moving on to more interesting discussions.
You can disagree but it's the truth.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:34 PM

268 posts, read 210,583 times
Quote:
I seem to recall Hillary using racist comments against Obama in the primaries. The reason that the Dems do not openly demonstrate racism because they will alienate their African-American base. If AA decided to switch parties, then you will be hearing more racist comments coming out of the dem party because they were not the ones that abolished slavery nor supported the civil rights act. Your party has a more uglier racist history which trumps anything you can say about the Republican party. Now, why don't we just agree that both parties have racist fringe which does not define the majority of party leaders today OK?
Southern dems did not support civil rights. You know, the area of the electoral map that is currently solid republican.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chauncy View Post
Southern dems did not support civil rights. You know, the area of the electoral map that is currently solid republican.
So basically Republican Party = racist and Democrat Party = non racist? You guys really are living in denial.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:38 PM

11,962 posts, read 7,751,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
You should realize that Rush was laughing at the title "Magic Negro", and thought it very funny that someone thought this is what Barack was in effect attempting to become. The guy who first ascribed that to Obama was David Ehrenstein, a columnist for the L.A. Times, in a column that appeared in that paper on March 19, 2007. You can go read it here. That column also explains what the "Magic Negro" is supposed to be. So yes, Rush, and Shanklin, who wrote the song, was in fact PARODYING the phrase and title used by that black newspaper columnist.
Thanks for posting the article. The author sounds pretty desperate to illicit sympathy. Sharpton wannabe? Yes, I'm a white woman and I voted for Obama. I despise Limberger and every flea brain idea from his nether regions. Grey matter isn't involved, but some in GOP do consider his show 'news'. This has been to the detriment of GOP. I also didn't care much for blacks telling me (during election cycle) that I ought to vote for Obama because he was black. They needed to see their own prejudice in that moment, but as usual, are committed to blindness when it comes to their own conduct.

I'm normally registered independent. Obama got my vote because he was the best qualified candidate. I didn't vote against a 'white guy', I voted against stay the course idiocy. I had to register repub to give my vote to McCain in 2000 primary. When McCain lost I voted dem. This time around I had to register dem to vote in primaries. I voted for hillary not because she was a white woman, but because I felt she was seasoned & leans toward centrist policy.

I'm a centrist and have no party of my own. I don't vote for women because they're women (as some GOP'rs projecting sexism allude). Palin getting a job she's ill qualified to perform would be the worst press women could have. I'm not impressed by condoleza rice's fawning either. Barbie dolls need not apply.

Bush gets criticized by 75% of this country, which IS predominantly white, because he's a blithering idiot with a diabolical puppet master. He's the worst thing that's ever happened to the GOP and America. By their own warped reasoning the whole lot of them belong locked up in Gitmo for the assaults to my constitution. Not because he's a guy, not because he's white, but because his behavior most closely resembles a sociopath. Yes, I do hate his behavior. The rest of his showmanship stupor is unimpressive and if I met him on the street I wouldn't see the point of engaging him. Worthy of ignore.

I've traveled all over the country and this I can say about the state of race relations... where a city has history of riots race relations aren't all they could be. I lived through LA riots in 90's. Blacks hurt themselves more by these events than anyone who was targeted with rage. Supremist trick is to bait them into outrage then take a snapshot as evidence to justify their own position. Too many blacks being fed a steady diet of victim mentality allow themselves to be pawns in a deadly game. This would be the nature of every loud mouthed idiot calling himself (or herself) conservative. This would be the nature of Farakhan. Neither concern themselves with telling the truth.

They sure have lots in common. Loud, repetitive, rallying around a fake nemesis offering people the kool aid of zero personal accountability. This would be how people enslave themselves willingly (yes, white folks do this to themselves too!!!). The worst crimes occur when black folks are socialized to believe that every white face they see conspires against them. The same is true of whites socialized to believe blacks conspire against them.

These sociologist statements of magic negro, and subsequent article by this columnist; please do go on about what black culture is/isn't. Rap music represents black families? White failed to embrace black culture? What's that? Picking kidney beans over turtle beans in the supermarket? How dare I discern individuals for myself? I think MLK would wonder what they've been smoking! Whatever identity crisis people need to work out for themselves isn't anyones problem but their own. What goofy nonsense will come out of the mouths of black people should Obama focus on the job at hand and fail to live up to their notion of righteousness? Garbage like oreo? He's not 'black enough'? Growing the hell up is long overdue in the black community, and ^5 Bill Cosby. Blacks infantilize themselves with these lame arguments.

Limberger and GOP can continue making arses of themselves in perpetuity. Sanrene can continue a lifelong excuse for every ridiculous thing GOP does. What a waste of a life but it's her dime. She's a walking billboard. Move along folks. None of this is worthy of validation given. GOP endorses the usurpation from david duke factions? I guess they've voluntarily relegated themselves to the trash heap. Contempt for fellow citizens in america isn't acceptable no matter the source, and ignorance cannot be dealt with by heaping more ignorance.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:38 PM

13,181 posts, read 7,961,187 times
Quote:
So basically Republican Party = racist and Democrat Party = non racist? You guys really are living in denial.

Post your video or counter example anytime to this Connie. Can you back any of your claims up??? Without having to go back to the 1960's.???...LOL

YouTube - Misconceptions of Obama fuel Republican campaign - 13 Oct 08

Old 12-27-2008, 05:40 PM

268 posts, read 210,583 times
Quote:
Just correcting your generalization that dems were against the civil rights act. opposition to that legislation fell along geographic lines, not party lines.

Racism is pervasive in our society.

edited to add: I think unapologetic racists do identify themselves as republicans. I think liberal americans do feel guilt about the pervasiveness of racism in the country, and I do think there is merit to discussion along these lines about why Obama appeals to whites.

I think Rush Limbaugh twisted this discussion to lampoon african americans and Obama.

Old 12-27-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Post your video or counter example anytime to this Connie. Can you back any of your claims up??? Without having to go back to the 1960's.???...LOL

YouTube - Misconceptions of Obama fuel Republican campaign - 13 Oct 08
YouTube videos are what feeds your stereotypes? I am not going to bother with you because obviously you see racism as a uniquely Republican thing and that Democrats are too high ground to engage in racism. Give me a freakin' break. This is one reason why I gave up on the Democratic party 4 years ago as they never admit their faults but are quick to blame the other party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections